2010-2011 Discussion Thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:57 pm

CavemanDoctor wrote:I like the idea of weekly pickups/weekly lineups.

As do I.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bokzg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm not a fan of weekly-set lineups because you're stuck with a lineup throughout the week and can only use 10 out of your 13 players each week. If a player suddenly gets hurt on Mon, then you're screwed out of one roster spot for an entire week. Plus, it tends to give less reward to teams that have depth through all 13 spots. Ever since switching to daily lineup changes, I've never wanted to go back to weekly for those reasons. It also further exaggerates the whole # of games played each week factor that I dislike in H2H, making it possible to have weeks where you sit your best player(s) for an entire week simply because they only have 2 games during.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:20 am

Weekly leagues are awful. I've done it with baseball, those teams end up on the back burner, nowhere near as interesting. Daily please.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:22 am

Daily lineups & weekly transactions?
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:30 am

A vote for daily lineups....haven't given much thought to weekly transactions but don't see much of a need to go there.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby silentjim » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:45 am

Rounders Block wrote:Daily lineups & weekly transactions?

I kind of like that. Weekly transactions with a waiver budget.

Is this possible on Yahoo?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 633)

Postby jphanned » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:53 am

RedHopeful wrote:A vote for daily lineups....haven't given much thought to weekly transactions but don't see much of a need to go there.

RE: Weekly transactions -- in a standard league I'd say a good 80% of pickups are free agents, 20% of pickups are players off waivers. FAAB money doesn't apply to free agents, so going with daily transactions and having a bidding system is kind of pointless. You're only using the FAAB budget 20% of the time.
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 am

Rounders Block wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:A vote for daily lineups....haven't given much thought to weekly transactions but don't see much of a need to go there.

RE: Weekly transactions -- in a standard league I'd say a good 80% of pickups are free agents, 20% of pickups are players off waivers. FAAB money doesn't apply to free agents, so going with daily transactions and having a bidding system is kind of pointless. You're only using the FAAB budget 20% of the time.

duh - thanks for the reminder. ;-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:21 am

Rounders Block wrote:

You could place every unowned player on waivers that run every night, and owners would have to use their FAAB budget to claim guys. Having done FAAB style free agency in football and baseball leagues, I think that is the best way to use the system.

That said, I'm fine with whatever the group decides on transactions. Also, after thinking about it, I change my vote to daily lineups. Basketball is not well suited for weekly lineups because of the disparity in games played by teams every week.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby geodbear » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 am

DVauthrin wrote:You could place every unowned player on waivers that run every night, and owners would have to use their FAAB budget to claim guys. Having done FAAB style free agency in football and baseball leagues, I think that is the best way to use the system.

That would have to be don"manually" right? I don't think there is a Yahoo setting for this. And I wouldn't trust the commish to be able to do this every day throughout the season (placing every unowned player on waivers). ;-)
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 245)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction