2010-2011 Discussion Thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:23 pm

geodbear wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:You could place every unowned player on waivers that run every night, and owners would have to use their FAAB budget to claim guys. Having done FAAB style free agency in football and baseball leagues, I think that is the best way to use the system.

That would have to be don"manually" right? I don't think there is a Yahoo setting for this. And I wouldn't trust the commish to be able to do this every day throughout the season (placing every unowned player on waivers). ;-)

Correct, yahoo's system isn't set up for that idea. It was just a thought from past experiences.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby greyone » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:50 am

Weekly transactions with 100% waivers is a good idea. This format works great in 2 leagues I am in. Manually processed.

The idea of Waivers and FAAB with a budget is half-assed. All or nothing.

What is the best possible solution within yahoo's capabilities?
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ggs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:47 am

greyone wrote:What is the best possible solution within yahoo's capabilities?

probably to keep it simple and ditch all $$ values after the draft and go to standard add/drops.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 152)

Postby jphanned » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:56 am

ggs wrote:

probably to keep it simple and ditch all $$ values after the draft and go to standard add/drops.

That will happen regardless.

I agree with greyone. Either eliminate the FAAB system and revert to standard/add drops or go to weekly transactions with a FAAB system. Weekly transactions are kind of the point of having a FAAB system in place.

Should we vote on it?
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby bokzg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:47 am

If those are the options, I'm sure it's no surprise that my vote is for standard adds/drops. Going from daily to weekly transactions feels like a huge step backwards in terms of competition.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 112)

Postby greyone » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:27 am

bokzg wrote: Going from daily to weekly transactions feels like a huge step backwards in terms of competition.

I believe the opposite. First come first serve favors the person next to a computer. How is that fair? Thats not pure-competition. Whats more competitive than having 14 owners blind bidding towards 1-5 hot free agents per week? OwnerA will bid $1 on free agent 1($100 budget). OwnerB will bid $10. OwnerC will bid $60. Other owners will completely ignore free agent 1 avoiding the frenzy focusing their efforts to free agent 2,3,4 or 5. One of many scenarios.

But this will obviously probably require outside effort. Not something I would want to impose on an unwilling commish.

I process a system identical to the one above. Deadline is friday night 10pm. Processing bids on saturday morning. On some weeks i get zero-2 bids. Other weeks I have 8 claims to sort through. 1 claim could be as many as 3 different bids.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ggs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 pm

i vote standard add/drop unless we have some seriously dedicated commish :)
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 152)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 pm

As long as I we can change our lineups daily, everything else is fine with me.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:16 am

Rounders Block wrote:
ggs wrote:

That will happen regardless.

I agree with greyone. Either eliminate the FAAB system and revert to standard/add drops or go to weekly transactions with a FAAB system. Weekly transactions are kind of the point of having a FAAB system in place.

Should we vote on it?

I'd rather have weekly transactions with the FAAB system, but I'm fine with whatever the group decides.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)

Postby bokzg » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:58 am

greyone wrote:
bokzg wrote: Going from daily to weekly transactions feels like a huge step backwards in terms of competition.

I believe the opposite. First come first serve favors the person next to a computer. How is that fair? Thats not pure-competition. Whats more competitive than having 14 owners blind bidding towards 1-5 hot free agents per week? OwnerA will bid $1 on free agent 1($100 budget). OwnerB will bid $10. OwnerC will bid $60. Other owners will completely ignore free agent 1 avoiding the frenzy focusing their efforts to free agent 2,3,4 or 5. One of many scenarios.

But this will obviously probably require outside effort. Not something I would want to impose on an unwilling commish.

I process a system identical to the one above. Deadline is friday night 10pm. Processing bids on saturday morning. On some weeks i get zero-2 bids. Other weeks I have 8 claims to sort through. 1 claim could be as many as 3 different bids.

My issue isn't with the adds/drops so much as setting lineups. Unless I'm mistaken, going with weekly transactions would also require us to go with weekly lineup changes as opposed to daily.

Also, again correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole FAAB system would only apply to players who are on waivers, not standard free agents. Therefore, not utilizing weekly transactions and the FAAB system would not favor managers who sit at their computers (or are on their iPhones) all the time as managers would still be able to put in a standard waiver bid and would win based on their waiver priority.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 112)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction