2010-2011 Discussion Thread - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2010-2011 Discussion Thread

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Why the change to a $260 budget? I just got finished doing all my rankings and tier for a $200 budget. Jerk. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby geodbear » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Why the change to a $260 budget? I just got finished doing all my rankings and tier for a $200 budget. Jerk. :-D

Why? to mess you up. :-D I guess it was so I can think of it as $20/player as an average. Looking forward to it tonight.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 245)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:02 pm

geodbear wrote: Looking forward to it tonight.

Me too. :-D I'm glad it's at 10pm too. I'd thought it was earlier than that and I was going to end up missing it. It's my oldest boy's birthday today
and somehow I think my wife would take a dim view of me skipping a birthday party to do a fantasy hoops draft.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby ggs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Me too. :-D I'm glad it's at 10pm too. I'd thought it was earlier than that and I was going to end up missing it. It's my oldest boy's birthday today
and somehow I think my wife would take a dim view of me skipping a birthday party to do a fantasy hoops draft.

10pm is bedtime for me! :O
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 144)

Postby jphanned » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

There's a first and last time for everything. %-6
Find me on Twitter
jphanned

EditorModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 371)

Postby ggs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Rounders Block wrote:There's a first and last time for everything. %-6

+ a million

can we start this sometime in the afternoon next year holy smokes
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 144)

Postby geodbear » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Definitely a learning experience, but it was fun. It'll be interesting to see how things play out between the teams with depth v. teams that are top heavy. I think my team if healthy should lead the league in points scored.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 245)

Postby samo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:22 pm

geodbear wrote:Definitely a learning experience, but it was fun.

Agreed. Kept me interested throughout, but my mind is easily occupied with small bits of information. CD, greyone, and especially ggs had me and FOS cracking up the whole time. ;-D

Edit: I'll admit to pushing FOS to go after Wade/Bosh after he won LeBron ... but nooooo ... he had to get Lee/Amare instead. :-t
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby silentjim » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm

The auction process is hard for me to adapt to. Every auction is completely different, which is why it's very very tough to come in with some sort of strategy.

In a snake draft you can capitalize on a strategy by picking players a round or so earlier than their ADPs, but who's value is much better given your strategy. In the auction style, barring last minute few dollar deals, middle round players, who's values change based on strategy don't seem to come at any sort of discount; IE defeating the point of the strategy.

It seems like you'd be better off semi-evaluating a strategical set for each of the top dozen players or so, and then developing that strategy based on the best value. The teams I like best so far in the league are those that didn't end up with a first round pick, which I didn't really expect from our group. But I guess if half of the managers win 2 or 3 studs, that leaves an insane amount of value for the remaining managers to pilfer from.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 633)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:01 pm

silentjim wrote:The auction process is hard for me to adapt to. Every auction is completely different, which is why it's very very tough to come in with some sort of strategy.

In a snake draft you can capitalize on a strategy by picking players a round or so earlier than their ADPs, but who's value is much better given your strategy. In the auction style, barring last minute few dollar deals, middle round players, who's values change based on strategy don't seem to come at any sort of discount; IE defeating the point of the strategy.

It seems like you'd be better off semi-evaluating a strategical set for each of the top dozen players or so, and then developing that strategy based on the best value. The teams I like best so far in the league are those that didn't end up with a first round pick, which I didn't really expect from our group. But I guess if half of the managers win 2 or 3 studs, that leaves an insane amount of value for the remaining managers to pilfer from.

Snake drafts suck because I'm always deciding between David Lee, Jason Kidd, or Amare Stoudemire for my #1 pick, not Durant, Lebron, and Paul. The top 3 are literally worth 2 late first rounders, it's such a disadvantage to pick at the back.

I didn't have any time to prep but I don't think it would have really helped much anyway, I'm sure most strategies fell apart after Durant went for $102. Having a top 5 pick in Dwight and a pair of early 2nd/maybe late 1sts with Rondo/Wallace should be interesting. If Bogut plays 70 games and is not out during the playoffs, I like my chances, he would guarantee rebounds, blocks, and FG% along with Dwight and Wallace every week.

D. Lee and Wade looked like the best bargains for elite players.

I don't think I've ever owned Dwight since I almost exclusively play roto, will be nice to root for my real team and fantasy team at once.
Grounded Polo
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction