2010 Draft Results - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Auction

2010 Draft Results

Moderator: geodbear

Re: 2010 Draft Results

Postby bokzg » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:34 am

samo wrote:Snuka
1. (14) Dirk Nowitzki (Dal - PF) $89 - My preferred H2H strategy seems to be equal parts stale and oddly effective. Dirk fits.
2. (15) Deron Williams (Uta - PG) $71 - Never had him on a team; should be fun.
3. (65) Ray Allen (Bos - SG) $18 - Again, suits the cats I like to win every week. Was prepared to spend $30+, but Ray's old and boring I guess.
4. (77) Jason Terry (Dal - PG,SG) $10 - Really? Again, was prepared to spend $25+ on a guy who's basically Manu.
5. (84) Andrei Kirilenko (Uta - SF,PF) $15 - Not my standard rock-solid character guy, but good to own fun players in a fun league.
6. (90) Samuel Dalembert (Sac - C) $10 - Take the injury hit and move on.
7. (99) Elton Brand (Phi - PF,C) $7 - So weird I got this guy. Scratching my head. Huh?
8. (101) Andre Miller (Por - PG) $9 - One more decent season Andre.
9. (122) Boris Diaw (Cha - SF,PF) $3 - samo. Love. Boris.
10. (130) Josh McRoberts (Ind - PF,C) $5 - C'mon baby, take that team ovah with your freakish talent! You know you want to. Forget getting it to the big man down low.
11. (131) Luke Ridnour (Min - PG) $8 - Last chance to run an NBA team Luke, get 'er done.
12. (143) Shane Battier (Hou - SF) $7 - Actually still have my old "Linus" blanket too. So sad.
13. (145) Kirk Hinrich (Was - PG,SG) $8 - Kirk may thrive amidst the madness.

All in all, very pleased to throw these gentlemen into battle.

I was quite surprised (and jealous :-D ) by how cheaply you got Ray and Terry. Both are players I would have bid more for had I not spent my money so recklessly early on. Great value for both. Diaw is another player I would have liked to bid on, but couldn't afford to at the point in the draft he came up during. I still feel that AK was great value as well, arguably just as good or better than my Millsap price. Those deals definitely helped make up for the hefty price you paid for Dirk and Deron (another pairing I'm jealous of), and landed you a solid team.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby samo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:39 am

I edited my previous post but your response bumped it to a previous page:
samo wrote:Edit: Oh, and don't go thinking Ridnour was actually worth the $7 or $8 I paid for him ... that was just me trying to hide the fact I'd stupidly failed to use $20 or so dollars in drafting real players. Same for the big $$$ I dropped so very very late on Battier and Hinrich. Had to use up the full $260 or look like a total retard. :-°

Paying big bucks for Dirk/Deron was literally the only way my freakishly frugal self could avoid ending up with 200+ auction dollars left on the table, smugly convinced all other managers had overpaid for everyone. :-o
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bokzg » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:21 am

samo wrote:I edited my previous post but your response bumped it to a previous page:
samo wrote:Edit: Oh, and don't go thinking Ridnour was actually worth the $7 or $8 I paid for him ... that was just me trying to hide the fact I'd stupidly failed to use $20 or so dollars in drafting real players. Same for the big $$$ I dropped so very very late on Battier and Hinrich. Had to use up the full $260 or look like a total retard. :-°

Paying big bucks for Dirk/Deron was literally the only way my freakishly frugal self could avoid ending up with 200+ auction dollars left on the table, smugly convinced all other managers had overpaid for everyone. :-o

Should've overpaid for another 1st or 2nd rounder and saved on Ridnour, Battier and Hinrich :)
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 83)

Postby samo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:38 am

bokzg wrote:Should've overpaid for another 1st or 2nd rounder and saved on Ridnour, Battier and Hinrich :)

Well ... actually ... yes ... that's exactly what I should've done. Really, there's no excuse for not having spent that wasted twenty on one of Camby, Gallinari, Millsap, Odom, or perhaps a couple others. Assumed I'd have to pay more for Allen and Terry and when they went so low it left me with too many bullets and too few targets. The antidote to that auction trap (which I warned FOS about before the draft) is quite simple. Spend the money early and often on quality players you actually want. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by spending 5 extra bucks than required at the end on each of three marginal players. You spend a buck or maybe 2 on them. Alas I blew it, and I don't even have the excuse of spending all my mental energy posting amusing comments, as I was totally focused on trying not to blow it. lol. Oh well, I suspect nobody feels their auction technique was 100% perfect, except maybe Red (in perfect anti samo form) who showed up for 45 minutes, bought up a bunch of studs, then got out quick.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:40 pm

samo wrote:Oh well, I suspect nobody feels their auction technique was 100% perfect, except maybe Red (in perfect anti samo form) who showed up for 45 minutes, bought up a bunch of studs, then got out quick.

Can't wait for next season when everyone attempts to follow this gameplan, leaving me to gobble up the first rounders dirt cheap! :-B
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby geodbear » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:47 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
samo wrote:Oh well, I suspect nobody feels their auction technique was 100% perfect, except maybe Red (in perfect anti samo form) who showed up for 45 minutes, bought up a bunch of studs, then got out quick.

Can't wait for next season when everyone attempts to follow this gameplan, leaving me to gobble up the first rounders dirt cheap! :-B

My strategy next year will be to change the auction budget at the last minute. :-D

My "strategy" going in was to bid a lot to get a top 4 player (Durant, Paul, Howard, James). But didn't think it would go that high. In my other auction draft (same number of teams and budget), I got Paul for $79. Here, he went for $96. So then decided to go for a deep team. And after I got Melo, I decided that I should go for a high scoring team. Also, I ended up drafting 4 combo guards (Arenas, Crawford, Ellis, Barbosa) + Mo Williams, so I have a lot of PG with not a lot of assists. If anyone needs a PG, make me an offer.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:07 pm

geodbear wrote: My "strategy" going in was to bid a lot to get a top 4 player (Durant, Paul, Howard, James). But didn't think it would go that high. In my other auction draft (same number of teams and budget), I got Paul for $79. Here, he went for $96. So then decided to go for a deep team. And after I got Melo, I decided that I should go for a high scoring team. Also, I ended up drafting 4 combo guards (Arenas, Crawford, Ellis, Barbosa) + Mo Williams, so I have a lot of PG with not a lot of assists. If anyone needs a PG, make me an offer.

Same number of teams and same budget, eh? The truth comes out! }:-) :-D :-B
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 599)

Postby greyone » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 am

22. Pau Gasol (LAL - PF,C) $77 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
23. Jason Kidd (Dal - PG) $58 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
28. Chauncey Billups (Den - PG) $63 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
82. Rashard Lewis (Orl - SF,PF) $15 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
100. Yao Ming (Hou - C) $10 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
103. Drew Gooden (Mil - PF,C) $6 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
112. Al Harrington (Den - PF,C) $8 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
117. Michael Beasley (Min - PF) $6 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
121. Austin Daye (Det - SG,SF) $4 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
128. Tiago Splitter (SA - SF,PF,C) $5 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
147. Wilson Chandler (NY - SF,PF) $4 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
150. James Harden (OKC - SG) $2 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys
161. Francisco Garcia (Sac - SG,SF) $2 Grey1 - MiaME Rileys

Terrible all around outing for me. Easily my preseason rank should be 14. Got caught pressing Jason Kidds price up. Then I completely fell off the reservation because I wouldn't get off Billups. He was the original pg i wanted. With only $62 i couldn't afford any value picks. There were more than a couple i regret not pulling the trigger on sub $15. Also underestimated the price of value players. All good. Great auction.

Unfortunately my experience in other auction formats hurt me because of the larger rosters and dialy lineups in this league. Other league only starts 5 with weekly lineups.

Looking to make more trades than normal this season. Hit me up. Once my team shows its identity i could be open to moving one of my top 3 players.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby geodbear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:39 pm

I was in a regular draft last night and one of the managers is an engineer for Yahoo Fantasy. He shared that there is a way to see your league's roto rankings based on last year's stats. Of course, that doesn't account for rookies and players not in the league last season. But if you're curious, you add "/standings?stype=draftresults" to your league URL. For the auction league, you can go to:

http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/974/standings?stype=draftresults
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 pm

That's awesome. I love easter eggs. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Auction