Another MVP doesn't get it done... - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Another MVP doesn't get it done...

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Another MVP doesn't get it done...

Postby samo » Fri May 27, 2011 4:34 am

Used to be the NBA regular season MVP would routinely lead his team to the Championship the same year he won MVP. In that sense, the NBA MVP had some meaning, some prestige. Not so much anymore. What's it been? 8 years? 10? On the positive side, at least one former MVP with no ring will get over that hump this year. Have to admit I hope it's Dirk, given their respective windows of opportunity remaining, current situations, etc.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Another MVP doesn't get it done...

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Not sure if it's such a bad thing? Do MVP's really need to certify their award by winning the title too? :-?
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby samo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:47 am

RedHopeful wrote:Do MVP's really need to certify their award by winning the title too?

Its not that they "need" to; its that they routinely DID, until about 8-10 years ago. Just an observation. Could be a statistical fluke. Or it could be that NBA MVP's pretty much suck nowadays compared to back in the day. Hard to know exactly. Either way, couldn't have been happier (in an NBA fan sort of way) watching Dirk/Dallas do that thing they do in Miami tonight. Dirk's a former MVP I'd seriously like to see win an NBA title. Matrix too. JKidd. At least two maybe three Hall of Fame quality guys looking to get that one ring. Hard not to pull for that a bit.
samo
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:15 pm

samo wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Do MVP's really need to certify their award by winning the title too?

Its not that they "need" to; its that they routinely DID, until about 8-10 years ago. Just an observation. Could be a statistical fluke. Or it could be that NBA MVP's pretty much suck nowadays compared to back in the day. Hard to know exactly. Either way, couldn't have been happier (in an NBA fan sort of way) watching Dirk/Dallas do that thing they do in Miami tonight. Dirk's a former MVP I'd seriously like to see win an NBA title. Matrix too. JKidd. At least two maybe three Hall of Fame quality guys looking to get that one ring. Hard not to pull for that a bit.

Gotcha. Another guy I'd like to see win the title on the Mav's side is Peja. I am a bit puzzled however with the lack of time he's gotten in the series. When the Heat play D, they have trouble scoring outside of Dirk and the occasional Terry jumper. They're gonna need Peja spreading the floor and hitting some perimeter shots if they're gonna win the series. Carlisle should at least play him when Miller is out there!
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby silentjim » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
samo wrote:

Gotcha. Another guy I'd like to see win the title on the Mav's side is Peja. I am a bit puzzled however with the lack of time he's gotten in the series. When the Heat play D, they have trouble scoring outside of Dirk and the occasional Terry jumper. They're gonna need Peja spreading the floor and hitting some perimeter shots if they're gonna win the series. Carlisle should at least play him when Miller is out there!

Peja isn't hitting open shots so far and his defense is horrible. The Bulls did the same thing with Korver, only playing him when Miller was in, but if they're not hitting shots they're useless.

On a side note, every time Mike Miller touches the ball or is involved in a play he acts like he's hurt. I don't know if he's in that much pain or just the frail-ist human being ever. It's annoying.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby Yilun » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:41 pm

How funny that the complexion of a series can change within a few minutes. Heat goes from being up 15 and en route to 2-0 lead with a full-fledged swagger to losing game 2 and being tied 1-1 staring at a 3-game stint in Dallas.

I think ironically, if Heat had managed to hold on to win game 2, they would have probably won the series 4-1 or 4-2 easily. However, because of the poor 7 minutes of basketball in game 2, they are looking at a 7-game series right now. Dallas has all the momentum right now and can easily win 2 games at home. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be Mavs with the 2-1 lead after Sunday.

The main problem I see with the Heat is that their crunch-time offense sucks horribly. When they play loose and together, they are very hard to beat. But once they feel the pressure, they inevitably resort to the Wade and/or LBJ isolation. Dribble out the clock until about 5 seconds left and then force a ill-advised fadeaway. Yea, it looks genius when they make it, but a bad shot is a bad shot. In my opinion, it wasn't so much as Dallas' crazy offense or Miami's bad defense in the final minutes that lost the game for Miami. It was Miami's bad OFFENSE that lost the game. Let's face it. If Miami just scored on 2 more possessions during that 7 minute stretch, they would have easily held on to win that game. Every team whose back is up against the wall will make a run, it's expected. But when your offense completely disappears because you go away from your game-plan, then there's nobody else to blame but yourself. Bad shots which results in long-rebounds are as good as turnovers which lead to fast-break opportunities for the other team.

I must give credit to Carlisle for the staggered-screen offense between Kidd, Chandler, and Dirk though. Miami had absolutely no answer for that as Dallas has not used that much during the regular season. At one point, they had run it 3 straight times and gotten scores off of them each time, including the huge Dirk trey where he was just completely wide open.
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting