How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league

Postby GRIN » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:44 am

Hello folks,
I originally posted this in the Hockey Commissioner's Corner, but the same would apply for Basketball.
I'm looking for some league configuration advice.
Managers can keep up to six players (i.e. 0-6).

1. Should managers be allowed to trade picks in the first six rounds or should only picks 7-23 be in play for draft pick trading?
2. If allowed to trade one of the first six rounds, should they still be allowed to keep six players? For example, if I traded my 4th round pick away and still wanted to keep six I would only start drafting in Round 8.

Any example of similar rules from your leagues that work or don't; or just your general thoughts would be most welcome.
GRIN
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to handle draft pick trading in a keeper league

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 am

In most leagues you keep guys before the picks are available to trade. so if you keep that 4th round guy you can't trade the pick. In a more complex league setting, one where picks are traded well before the draft, you'd have to say that the team needsa to burn a pick one (or more) rounds better than normal to keep a guy if they've traded the pick for the round he'd ranked in.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby phx_2008_champs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:In most leagues you keep guys before the picks are available to trade. so if you keep that 4th round guy you can't trade the pick. In a more complex league setting, one where picks are traded well before the draft, you'd have to say that the team needsa to burn a pick one (or more) rounds better than normal to keep a guy if they've traded the pick for the round he'd ranked in.

:-S
phx_2008_champs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:40 am

phx_2008_champs wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:In most leagues you keep guys before the picks are available to trade. so if you keep that 4th round guy you can't trade the pick. In a more complex league setting, one where picks are traded well before the draft, you'd have to say that the team needsa to burn a pick one (or more) rounds better than normal to keep a guy if they've traded the pick for the round he'd ranked in.

:-S

I don't get why you're confused. Just because my answer doesn't really address his question at all.... :-D

To the original question though, some leagues make you sacrifice picks to keep players and some don't. If you do have to sacrifice picks then your league needs to be set up so that guys aren't able to trade picks before they assign keepers. What I was referring to above is the kind of league where the pick you 'sacrifice' to keep a player is based on the round you drafted him in the previous year (commonly one higher than the draft round, so a guy drafted in the 9th round would cost an 8th round pick to keep, with the pick increasing by one every year).

I've also played in leagues that work like you describe, where each keeper just knocks off a draft round, and that works fine too, but I think you still require guys to set keepers before the picks can be traded. You can do it other ways but it's more complicated.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Return to Commissioner's Corner