2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Auction discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:44 pm

greyone wrote:ardilla, jamison for 7mil is a bargain. :-B

Yes indeed. I'm really surprised that the guys with cash to spend let that slide by. Even at 9M he'd be a good deal. As is I think he might be the steal of the draft so far (tied perhaps with Brand, but we'll see how he comes back).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Important! All you need to know for the auction

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:49 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:Mmmm. I'd bid a couple mil on a nice warm piece of Pecan Pie right now.

Lol - you'll really be watering over pictures like this in a few more months. ;-)

Nah, not for anything I can cook myself. Pecan Pie is a snap really. Finding the ingredients for a good Thai curry could be a problem though. Get back to me in a month or two and I might give you a sweetheart deal for Bosh if I'm getting some fresh basil and kaffir lime coming back my way.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:50 pm

since kal bet a matching bid for a player it made me go look at the tie breaking rules on bids again and has me raising a question. Is the section for team dorection the same as that for standings and therefore give the same bonus to good teams twice?
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 187)

Postby ardilla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Seems that way. Maybe the team success one is for the previous season, and team direction is the current season.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby scully19 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:17 pm

No because there is a bonus point for previous season as well.

My only idea i can come up with that may mean it is different is that it bases win difference from previous season to current season, and direction is better based on the more improved you are in wins. I would guess anyways. Just one of those things i am not sure about at the start and want to make sure of.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KalElen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:20 pm

actually team direction is calculated by dividing (category) wins with salary, so team with less wins can come out ahead based on lower salary. the idea was to make teams spend efficiently, not just because they can
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 pm

KalElen wrote:actually team direction is calculated by dividing (category) wins with salary, so team with less wins can come out ahead based on lower salary. the idea was to make teams spend efficiently, not just because they can

I thought we were trying to make this realistic? :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scully19 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Does that really affect team direction? That should be called something like efficiency of spending, or cost effectiveness or something.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:34 pm

scully19 wrote:Does that really affect team direction? That should be called something like efficiency of spending, or cost effectiveness or something.

Sure it does. Effectiveness on a per dollar basis is pretty much the gold standard for determining how well positioned a franchise is moving forward (fantasy or otherwise). What it's called is maybe secondary, although I'm all for precision in the details.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scully19 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:44 pm

Meh, in general you likely aren't going to be locked up to a certain amount of money for too long since the max years is 4 years and not everyone can or will be locked up to that. You could have 60 million 1 year and 20 the next when a bunch of money comes off the books. Your team could look good going forward at that point, but would be penalized for the 60 million originally for not looking good going forward.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap