2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 163. Nenad Krstic - OKC

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 am

KalElen wrote:250k

You realize you've only matched, not outbid, right? I'm not forced to outbid you when I'm first through the gate.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KalElen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:48 am

Fenris-77 wrote:

You realize you've only matched, not outbid, right? I'm not forced to outbid you when I'm first through the gate.

it doesn't matter if you are 1st through the gate when i'm offering my max and we are deadlocked
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:52 am

KalElen wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:

it doesn't matter if you are 1st through the gate when i'm offering my max and we are deadlocked

Sure it does, if I was second through the gate I would have been forced to outbid you now that the Gallinari bid is off the table. As it is you're second and I'm not forced to outbid. Which, if I understand the auction rules correctly, means that a mini-roto whatstit will determine who gets the player. There's no way you're going to win a mini roto tourney with only 4 guys either.

Your bid isn't automatically the winner just because you're capped out unless you bid first and the second guy has available cap.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KalElen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:13 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
KalElen wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:You realize you've only matched, not outbid, right? I'm not forced to outbid you when I'm first through the gate.

Sure it does, if I was second through the gate I would have been forced to outbid you now that the Gallinari bid is off the table. As it is you're second and I'm not forced to outbid. Which, if I understand the auction rules correctly, means that a mini-roto whatstit will determine who gets the player. There's no way you're going to win a mini roto tourney with only 4 guys either.

Your bid isn't automatically the winner just because you're capped out unless you bid first and the second guy has available cap.

rule is that you have to outbid if you can. when i offer my max it's irrelevant who posted 1st (time zones offer you no advantage)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:26 am

KalElen wrote:rule is that you have to outbid if you can. when i offer my max it's irrelevant who posted 1st (time zones offer you no advantage)

Bollocks. The only thing in the rules that covers this is..
-team can't match other team's offer to unrestricted free agent in both average salary and contract length, if it's able to outbid it. only situation where repeating existing offer is permitted is if team can't outbid the current offer under cap rules.

That says I can't match when I'm able to outbid. It doesn't say your match forces me to outbid. In fact, it doesn't say that anywhere in the rules. It certainly doesn't say your minimum bid beats mine when mine was in first. If you wanted things to work like this it should have been in the rules from the start. Having spent all your money super early in the draft you're in a tough spot to be 'enhancing' the rules about minimum bids.

Oh, and I understand one of your examples says something different, but it doesn't say different in the rules. Maybe it should have, but it doesn't. Nor should it - there's no reason that your minimum bid should be trump just because you blew your load early. It also doesn't make any sense relative my other bids. If I bid 450K on another player before Krstic is off the board all of a sudden I win again, since I'm maxed out (again) - whaa?!!. That the sequence of bids should change anything is not at all in line with anything you've said about the draft or minimum bids.

The root of the matter here is that there's an obvious difference between what the rules actually say, and what you'd like them to say, or what you meant them to say.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: 161. Anthony Parker

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:07 pm

420K(400K+440K)
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KalElen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:41 pm

yeah i'm an evil genius conspiring to take your well earned right to get krstic for one season. think about what you are saying before you say it. if you think that i would try to bend the rules to for myself, you don't know me at all, which is ok, after all this is just a forum and though we have always had good communication you can't have more then a vague idea about who i am as a person, but if you accuse me of bending the rules in order to get krstic for one year then you take me for an idiot and i tend to take that personally. choose your words more carefully next time

i have no time to argue today, i have to tracel, so i'll further respond tomorrow. if there is no bigger offer by anyone else 24h from my offer we will put krstic on hold until we resolve the matter
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:15 pm

KalElen wrote:yeah i'm an evil genius conspiring to take your well earned right to get krstic for one season. think about what you are saying before you say it. if you think that i would try to bend the rules to for myself, you don't know me at all, which is ok, after all this is just a forum and though we have always had good communication you can't have more then a vague idea about who i am as a person, but if you accuse me of bending the rules in order to get krstic for one year then you take me for an idiot and i tend to take that personally. choose your words more carefully next time

i have no time to argue today, i have to tracel, so i'll further respond tomorrow. if there is no bigger offer by anyone else 24h from my offer we will put krstic on hold until we resolve the matter

Dude, chill, I wasn't impugning your personal morals and ethics - just pointing out that there's an obvious hole in the rules here and adjudicating it when you personally have a player on the line is tricky. While we're talking about who's taking who for what, lets just be clear that rules do not, in any way shape or form, say what you're implying they say. So before you start flinging stones and getting all up in arms about what a douche I'm being, just remember that I'm not making anything up here. The rules don't state that cap-maxed teams automatically win minimum bids, not unless theirs is the pre-existing bid.

And if you think I care enough about Krstic to raise a ruckus you're mistaken. It's not about Krstic at all, but rather what the rules say and what they don't (set next to what you wanted them to say I'd imagine). This is the first time this has come up, so obviously if there's confusion it needs to be addressed now. I sympathize about the difficulty involved in writing a large rules set, and specifically about how tough it can be to get them edited and clarified when they're still essentially at the beta-test level. Everyone in the league except you only has the rules as you've written them to go on though, and while I'm all for a collective effort to make them the best rules possible, I'm also all for being able to trust and plan for the rules that I've been given.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 pm

-team can't match other team's offer to unrestricted free agent in both average salary and contract length, if it's able to outbid it. only situation where repeating existing offer is permitted is if team can't outbid the current offer under cap rules. if 2 or more teams have same amount of cap free and bid it all on a player, that player is awarded to a team that comes out as a winner of a roto mini-league based on last year's numbers.

This appears to be the rule we are looking for. I don't think Fenris needs to outbid Kal based on the rule above.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

Re: 162. Ronny Turiaf

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:27 pm

1M
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap