2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 163. Nenad Krstic - OKC

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:39 pm

silentjim wrote:
-team can't match other team's offer to unrestricted free agent in both average salary and contract length, if it's able to outbid it. only situation where repeating existing offer is permitted is if team can't outbid the current offer under cap rules. if 2 or more teams have same amount of cap free and bid it all on a player, that player is awarded to a team that comes out as a winner of a roto mini-league based on last year's numbers.

This appears to be the rule we are looking for. I don't think Fenris needs to outbid Kal based on the rule above.

In the interests of transparency, here's the part of the auction rules post that suggests that Kal might have had something else in mind...
examples:

team a has 4M free and bids 3M on a player x. team b has 3M free and bids it all on player x. in order to get the player team a now has outbid team b's offer, otherwise player x signs with team b.

My problem is that I can't find any rules whatsoever that this is a legitimate example of, and it certainly isn't supported by the rule you quoted above. We'll see what Kal has to say tomorrow.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:02 pm

You're right about mine. Didn't see the same amount of cap space available part, which isn't true.

I can't find that quote you have anywhere in the official rules thread.

In any instance, this is exactly another reason why I don't think people that have spent the max should be allowed to bid on current players. It's another instance were spending money is not only a benefit to that team, but a detriment to the team that is saving. A two-fold swing. It encourages spending money and penalizes being frugal.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 733)

165. Matt Bonner

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 pm

RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

166. Anthony Morrow

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 pm

RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: 164. Danilo Gallinari - NYK

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm

750K (.75 + .75)
RedHopeful

Re: 166. Anthony Morrow

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:10 pm

silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 733)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:16 pm

silentjim wrote: You're right about mine. Didn't see the same amount of cap space available part, which isn't true.

I can't find that quote you have anywhere in the official rules thread.
It's not, it's from the 'Everything you need to know about the auction' thread.

silentjim wrote:In any instance, this is exactly another reason why I don't think people that have spent the max should be allowed to bid on current players. It's another instance were spending money is not only a benefit to that team, but a detriment to the team that is saving. A two-fold swing. It encourages spending money and penalizes being frugal.

I don't really have a problem with them being able to bid the minimum I suppose, but I don't at all support the idea that they should get a two-fold swing.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

Re: Auction discussion

Postby scully19 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:23 pm

My most insincere apologies to you Fenris.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Yeah - let's leave any possible preconceived notions at the door. I don't believe no one is trying to cheat the other etc so lets try to figure out an amicable solution.

As far as the debate on the rule - I also see no reason for a max team to receive the benefit here. I don't want to hear any argument because that is the rule we agreed upon earlier when putting together this league. I, for one, didn't think in depth about most of the rules at the time. Also, if we are truly trying to put a great league together, amendments to questionable rules should be allowed.

I really can't think of any great solution except to eliminate this rule. A max team shouldn't be able to bid 2nd - the exact same amount and get to win the player. Anyone got something better?
RedHopeful

Re: 163. Nenad Krstic - DEBATE - Please Read All

Postby scully19 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:52 pm

Why not just make minimum bids the only ones able to match, and then a mini-roto whatsit happens to determine who gets the player

In this case, Fenris could also copy Kal's opening bid on someone else for the min and that would determine who gets a certain player.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap