2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 163. Nenad Krstic - DEBATE - Please Read All

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Honestly? We should at least consider moving to a secret ballot type auction method for next year. Or at least doing some serious thinking about how to manage the process we have in place.

Not allowing maxed out teams to bid second does solve the problem at hand, but it also seems a little unbalanced in other regards. I really don't think that the timing of bids should play as large a role as does there anyway (or in general). I can't think of another way to manage this though.

Something else we could consider is that we haven't made any provision for the MLE this year. I'd have no problem with setting something up around that for the post-auction free agents (i.e. after the mock list is finished). During the auction I don't think it would be fair, since everyone has spent up until now assuming a 65M cap.

Hmm. Would people have an issue with an available active roster slot (at the correct position) being a decent tie breaker? It doesn't matter in this case, but in other cases I'm fine with the tie going to the guy with the open active slot. That at least makes a certain amount of sense, and sort of mirrors real life. When the slot won't break the tie I'd love to have something better than first come-first serve in place, but I cant think of a thing.

The mini-roto tourny does make some sense, but that really favours the guy with more players already rostered, which also sounds unfair. For example, Kal will lose every single tie breaker to me until my rosters full, simple because he doesn't have enough warm bodies. Maybe some sort of version that balances number of players vs quality of player.

Meh. :-/
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:11 pm

So matching is allowed on min bids, with winner going first to minutes avail, then to mini-roto? I like it.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 187)

Postby The Thrill » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Fenris-77 wrote: The mini-roto tourny does make some sense, but that really favours the guy with more players already rostered, which also sounds unfair. For example, Kal will lose every single tie breaker to me until my rosters full, simple because he doesn't have enough warm bodies. Maybe some sort of version that balances number of players vs quality of player.

Eh, if a team has a smaller roster, they likely have a better player (top tier), so I wouldn't feel too bad for them. They paid the price of getting the top tier talent. I guess I don't see it as unfair.

Not a fan of first come, first served, so my opinion would be we continue to come up with recommendations to hash this out. I'm not opposed to Fenris' recommendation on whether a manager has an open position, but since we still have not established positional-eligiblity guidelines (I think we "kinda" are using Yahoo, but it seems to be loosely associated), we could run into issues. This player is an PF/C on Yahoo. I have a PF position open. But I have a C position open. But Pau Gasol doesn't qualify as a C in XYZ league.... :-S

My weak attempt at a potential future converstation. :-D
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 252)

Re: 158. Ryan Gomes

Postby The Thrill » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:07 pm

$820K ($800K and $840K)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:24 pm

I'd say the easiest way to fix that is to just use Yahoo's positional info from last year. Plus the standard multi-pos rookie business (they're all PG-SG or PF-C, not just one). Everyone should have access to yahoo's info from last year too since we probably all played in at least one yahoo league. We could use this year's positions to, if everyone has access. So long as we have a written in stone standard of some sort we'll be ok.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 pm

My other qualm still with Kal winning in any sort of fashion (flip a coin, roto league, roster slot, etc), is that he's already spent his entire available cap. I don't think if you have zero dollars left you should be able to match an offer at all. Simple as that. You can put bids on any player of your choosing at the 250K available to you, but I think if any player with cap room matches that bid they should automatically be given that player if non one else outbids them.

If Kal had only spent 64.75 Million and he had the .25 left, then I could somewhat see this discussion taking place and then moving on to figuring out who gets who. The same thing if two people who've spent the total cap match min bids at 250K. Move to some sort of tiebreaker system.

Just my two cents and nothing against Kal obviously. I just think its creating a major unfair advantage to those who've already spent their money.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby TheRobSays » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Once you are at cap you should not be allowed to bid on players in this auction. This is the only fair way otherwise all of the remaining teams will need to bid a minimum of $350K to get a player. Not fair. Otherwise you should allow a non-capped team to bid $10K more in this instance. This basically solves the problem with little cost. Why not make the minimum increment on players $250,000 to $300,000 -$10,000?
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 70)

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 pm

TheRobSays wrote:Once you are at cap you should not be allowed to bid on players in this auction. This is the only fair way otherwise all of the remaining teams will need to bid a minimum of $350K to get a player. Not fair. Otherwise you should allow a non-capped team to bid $10K more in this instance. This basically solves the problem with little cost. Why not make the minimum increment on players $250,000 to $300,000 -$10,000?

I brought this up earlier and I agree as well. It' is forcing players with cap to offer more money, which isn't fair. I still think players that have spent there 65 million should only have access to other free agents once this draft is complete. I would think this even if I spent all of my money. Translating this to a normal draft, it likes one guy finishing his picks earlier because he traded them or something, but still allowing him to make additional picks anyway. The team that spends the most money essentially has the most access to the greatest amount of players, which is incorrect.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby The Thrill » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 pm

The only problem is you're making that decision when several of us are in that boat. If I knew I was not going to be allowed to place an introductory bid on players that are going to be placed on the draft board, I would have drafted differently. In fact, I know I would have (one particular player I bid on stands out), but I made the decision to stick with it and see if I can get a handful of those players for $250K.

What you are suggesting gives me (Kalelen, others) no chance of doing that too late in the game.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

Postby ardilla » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 pm

We will only be having an auction this year, correct? After this auction, you can offer a player a contract at any time and there will be a certain amount of time for other teams to match, maybe 48 hours during the season, a week during the off-season?

I am in the camp arguing that teams over the cap should have to wait to fill their roster with exception minimum contracts until after the auction. If no one bids on a player, they will be around for you to sign later but the teams with money left need to fill their rosters first. This was an auction for you to spend 65M to fill a roster.

I hear you somewhat Thrill, but as you have CP3, Gasol and a ton of cap space next summer I don't feel too bad. There will be plenty of players left after the auction ends. This brings up the question: when will we officially stop the auction and go into normal free agency? When no team with cap space has empty roster spots (not counting IL)?
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap