2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: 163. Nenad Krstic - DEBATE - Please Read All

Postby Nene » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:58 pm

It seems pretty obvious to me that if someone can go and bid the same as the person before them, then they are not outbidding them at all and should not get any rights to that player. I fail to see how there could even be a debate about it. It's nonsense to match a bid and consider yourself the high bidder.
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 162. Ronny Turiaf

Postby Nene » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:58 pm

1.1 M (1.1+1.1)
Nene Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm also against not allowing capped out Gms to offer minimum bids. That wasn't the understanding going in and it's not (at all) something that should be changed mid-draft. If the middle ground here is to allow capped out GMs to place introductory bids, but not 'match' introductory bids then I'm ok with that. I would suggest that a capped out team be able to match the min offer placed by another capped out team at the very least though(for a level playing field) which would invoke the tie-breaker.

If we're going to go to outbidding those min offers I'd also be ok with GMs with space being allowed to outbid a min 250K bid by going to 300K. I don't think we should venture into the realms of 10K increments unless absolutely necessary. That 50K is quite affordable by any measure, and sounds to me like a good compromise under the 350K (which is high).

We could also stipulate that a capped out team not have more than one active minimum bid out at a time for the remainder of the auction. That would calm down the chances of a very active capped out GM dropping a min bid on every single free agent he can (which is silly).

Just throwing some ideas out here. :-?
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby The Thrill » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:31 pm

ardilla wrote:I am in the camp arguing that teams over the cap should have to wait to fill their roster with exception minimum contracts until after the auction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement that if you've hit the cap, the best you can offer is a minimum contract. But herein lies the problem. The problem lies in the definition of a $250K offer. If Kalelen offers $250K the definition of such is a "minimum contract." If silentjim, for example, offers the very same offer of $250K, the definition of it is not a "minimum contract" for purposes of defining where he is relative to the cap, however, it is essentially treated as a "minimum contract" for all other purposes.

So, I'm just saying if a player is placed on the board to be drafted, I at least want that right to put in a minimum contract on him. I shouldn't be disallowed from placing the minimum offer on that player simply because of my cap status IMHO. I can always be outbid by a higher salary $ (which also isn't fair to those who have not hit the cap), OR we can come up with some type of rule that permits those who have not hit their cap to override someone who has.

Yes, at the moment, I am loving my cap space for next season. O:-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby TheRobSays » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Solve the problem - allow non-capped owners to make a bid a $10K bid above that of a capped owner only. Otherwise the normal increment applies. This is the benefit of having SOME cap space.

Example

Kristic $250K by maxed out bidder,next bid can be $260 by non-capped managers (obviously). After that the next bid has to be $350K as per normal. This is fair to all and allows the capped out bidders at least a chance to get a player. Also how do we decide if two capped out managers want the same player - we should decide this NOW as you know its going to happen!
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 72)

Postby greyone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Plenty going on here. Im listening and following.

What happens if more than 2 capped out teams bid A250, B250, C250, D250? D wins the bid?

Some don't like the idea of first come first serve. But in this case...its going to be last come...1st served :-? That doesn't make sense.

I prefer the initial bidder be the lead.

More to come.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Personally I think restricting someone from getting a minimum contract player at this point is wrong. Changing the rules so much that they now have to wait really isn't an option.

As I said before, I think the best way to solve it is to have minimum bids to be matched by anyone, and then go to the team that would win the miniroto thing. We all knew about this mini-roto thing, so we can't be upset if this comes into play. If the person with more cap room remaining wants the player and thinks he may lose the player this way, then he can solve it by bidding more than minimum.

Kal likely can't win the roto thing, but this was in the rules before hand, and we all knew about it, so it is at least fair in that sense.

first come first serve should never be the case, nor should someone win because they can't offer more and tie go to the broke guy. Split the difference, and call it a draw.

BTW, this was the reason i suggested that not need to directly outbid someone from the start, but use the determining points factors to determine where someone goes if not outbid by a certain amount.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)

Postby greyone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:30 pm

MRL doesn't apply until next season. I hope.

Sidenote: judging the team direction in the future is going to be a HUGE issue. Forcing the league to take sides. Its going to be ugly.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:32 pm

The debate about team direction has already started, since it makes no sense at all the way it stands right now. I'm sure that will come up more throughout the season and def next off season.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 198)

167. Brandon Jennings

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:18 pm

RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap