2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: Fenris-77, silentjim, RedHopeful, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Auction discussion

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Yeah man, a lot of players left. At any rate, I think us eager beavers just managed to quickly drive up the cost on the top 8 guys to where they were going to end up anyway.

exactly
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 4. Kevin Durant

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:37 pm

23.33M (30 + 20 + 20)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Kal just bid against himself for Durant. :-D
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 632)

Re: Important! All you need to know for the auction

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:51 pm

The Thrill wrote:I think the frontloading really is only happening because of the $20M cap. Are the others frontloaded much yet?

Really, you could handcuff yourself this year in order to obtain two marquee players and the rest of your team is dirt. But it sets you up to have cap space the following years. If I pay $30M + $30M on two marquee players this year, but it drops to $20M + $20M (or potentially down to $18M + $18M (10% drop from the max of $20M), that leaves some decent cap space for the future... :-?

I think I just thought out loud and didn't really answer your question.... :-D :-b

No Thrill is exactly right. Essentially in the first year since we're only allowing people to go over the 20 million this one time, technically it behooves you to overspend right now and just limit yourself financially this first year. Next year cap-wise, you'd be at the same position as anyone who's max bid was close to around 20.

Not to mention if you can theoretically land two or three players, you'd be even better since you could technically get almost 20 million in cap space next season to go along with your two superstars.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:52 pm

silentjim wrote:Kal just bid against himself for Durant. :-D

Whatever do you mean? B-)
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:57 pm

hey, i love what denny ferry did with varejao so much, i decided to replicate it as much as i can :-D
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Thrill » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:58 pm

KalElen wrote:
The Thrill wrote:Really, you could handcuff yourself this year in order to obtain two marquee players and the rest of your team is dirt. But it sets you up to have cap space the following years. If I pay $30M + $30M on two marquee players this year, but it drops to $20M + $20M (or potentially down to $18M + $18M (10% drop from the max of $20M), that leaves some decent cap space for the future... :-?

the part of my post that you quoted was in the draft rules (the ones we voted on), good thing you read everything before voting :-D
you can't offer 18M in remaining years. the moment you decide to go over 20M in year one remaining of the contract is locked at 20M
per year. also contract length depends on 1st year salary too. you can't choose to pay 21M in year one and add just year 2 at 20M, if your year one is in the 20.25m-30M range you have to offer 3 years, not up to 3 years. 30.25-40 means 2 years with 2nd at 20M and 40.25+ means just one year

I think maybe I need the official rules updated then. O:-) (I'm actually chuckling out loud because it is much easier for me to say such than to actually put into practice myself). :-D I am referencing the rules solely. Sounds like I need to reference the rules and other discussions as well to really get a clear picture of the rules. I guess this is in line with silentjim's request for the final rules the other day (to which Red thought he was joking). :-?
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 264)

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 pm

that is true, but you have to keep in mind what kind of players will be free agents next year. all the good players will go on 4 or 3 years contract, very few will go on one year so it's a risk. you need to be successful in order to have a good chance to keep your stud once he becomes fa and you'll have trouble being competitive with bunch of scrubs that are most likely to be available.
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KalElen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:03 pm

The Thrill wrote:
KalElen wrote:
The Thrill wrote:Really, you could handcuff yourself this year in order to obtain two marquee players and the rest of your team is dirt. But it sets you up to have cap space the following years. If I pay $30M + $30M on two marquee players this year, but it drops to $20M + $20M (or potentially down to $18M + $18M (10% drop from the max of $20M), that leaves some decent cap space for the future... :-?

the part of my post that you quoted was in the draft rules (the ones we voted on), good thing you read everything before voting :-D
you can't offer 18M in remaining years. the moment you decide to go over 20M in year one remaining of the contract is locked at 20M
per year. also contract length depends on 1st year salary too. you can't choose to pay 21M in year one and add just year 2 at 20M, if your year one is in the 20.25m-30M range you have to offer 3 years, not up to 3 years. 30.25-40 means 2 years with 2nd at 20M and 40.25+ means just one year

I think maybe I need the official rules updated then. O:-) (I'm actually chuckling out loud because it is much easier for me to say such than to actually put into practice myself). :-D I am referencing the rules solely. Sounds like I need to reference the rules and other discussions as well to really get a clear picture of the rules. I guess this is in line with silentjim's request for the final rules the other day (to which Red thought he was joking). :-?

rules are posted here:
viewtopic.php?t=59831

draft info is posted here, where it was voted on. i assumed everyone read it and understood it before they voted
viewtopic.php?t=59787

some more info can be found in this thread, especially in top 3 posts:
viewtopic.php?t=59826
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby silentjim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:38 pm

The Thrill wrote:
KalElen wrote:

Yeah, I was not joking when I mentioned it. :-D I just like all my stuff in one area. I feel like I should be making a Sharepoint joke here, but no one will think it's funny except me.
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap