2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Auction discussion

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 pm

scully19 wrote:So when do we open up new players to bid on. We only have 9 active right now, or are we waiting until the draft is completely done?

There is no more bidding after they are done. It'll be free agency next.

I'm still awaiting on how to handle Ridnour and now Thabo....
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby scully19 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Does free agency still mean auction on players? Like say I want player X, I would open a thread and make a bid on the player, and other people can match or beat or neither?
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Re: 163. Nenad Krstic (BIDDING CLOSED) - DEBATE STILL OPEN

Postby silentjim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:59 pm

ardilla wrote:It is better for the league to have shorter contracts in general, especially on tiny contracts when these players could blow up this year and be in demand next season.

An amendment is coming to solve the auction situation, other rules that help balance the league don't need to be changed. Higher average value always wins, 50K raise is tiny if you really want that player.

Everyone has to stop thinking what's best for themselves and needs to start thinking about what's best for all. How is it better for the league to have shorter contracts? We've already established that offers less than 5 million can be for 1 or 2 years in length. If that player blows up, then so be it. Isn't that kind of the point of an auction draft? To get a good player for less money? It's all part of the strategy involved.

I really do feel like everyone who spent all or most of their money are now trying to modify the rules' meaning a bit so that either they can have access to more player, or so that the teams with money can't capitalize on having money available at the end of the draft.

I've said it now a hundred times, but I think its completely ridiculous that the minimum bids that are being used for teams over the cap can have the same value as those 250K bids for teams with cap room. It doesn't make any sense. 10K or 50K might seem small, but that's because you're not spending it. The fact that people over the cap were allowed to offer minimum bids while the draft was still ongoing was absurd in the first place, but because it already happened and its to late be undone, doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

I know I'm ranting big time, but I pride myself on thinking as unbiased as possible, but I am starting to question whether others are really trying to better the league or their own teams. This isn't directed at you at all Ardilla, just in general.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 791)

Postby silentjim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Second question that's not rhetorical that follows up to my earlier post.

What's the point of having a 65 million salary cap during the draft if certain teams don't have to abide by it?

Here's the rule plain as day:

-during draft/auction teams can't go over the soft cap (65M)

Every time someone bids a Min bid they are breaking this rule.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ardilla » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:10 pm

I drafted my team under the rules we came up with. I had to outbid any team that matched a bid to get each one of my players. You now want to change the rules to make it easier on yourself and claim everyone else is being selfish?

The concept of players with under 25% offers wanting the shortest contract allows players to get market value if they have a good season. Shorter contracts and players coming up for FA more often promotes competition and gives teams a reason to save cap space for next summer. It is also more realistic, as we were trying to design the rules to be. It makes sense beyond the auction.

Edit: You are insulting everyone with a different opinion than yourself on shaky grounds. I have a full team without exceeding the cap and am no longer bidding; how you finish the auction doesn't impact my team at all. Whether or not teams over the cap are allowed to bid (as they were when I was bidding), the shorter contracts for players under 25% helps keep the league more balanced by fostering increased player movement and encouraging saving cap space.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby scully19 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 pm

silentjim wrote:Second question that's not rhetorical that follows up to my earlier post.

What's the point of having a 65 million salary cap during the draft if certain teams don't have to abide by it?

Here's the rule plain as day:

-during draft/auction teams can't go over the soft cap (65M)

Every time someone bids a Min bid they are breaking this rule.

Right after that rule it explains the exceptions to the rule.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 195)

Postby KalElen » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:27 pm

here's what we'll do after all players from the mock list are distributed:
every team will nominate no more then one player for the bidding by posting new thread. in the initial post he will post his opening bid. for example:
thread title: jerome james
23M (30+20+20)
everybody will be allowed to bid on that player. after player is claimed (same as in auction) thread starter will have 24h to start another thread with new nomination
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

problems accessing cafe

Postby KalElen » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 pm

anybody else had them today?
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby KalElen » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
scully19 wrote:What are we doing once this draft ends to draft the rest of the players?

Free agency baby. Same general idea, slightly different rules about matching and whatnot. As far as specifics, I propose that each GM be allowed nominate one player at a time and start a FA thread for that player that will function as a bid thread. That GM may not nominate another FA and start a thread until his previous FA thread is closed. GMs may bid on any FA's of course, That should keep the number of threads manageable and prevent a handful of GMs from monopolizing free agency. It also gives people a chance to get in that first min bid on the guy they want it on (mostly).

As far as min bids go I propose we go exactly like the draft (whatever we decide to do there) to prevent confusion. The rules about multiple min bids from capped teams may come into effect too. I'm ok using that mechanism there provided we do it right away - i.e. once the 12 hours has elapsed bidding closes and a mini-roto tourney is held using only the players on those GMs rosters at the time of close. The results of the MRT determine who gets the FA. I'm not sure exactly what Kal had in mind for rules there though.

missed this post. could have saved me some typing. min bids controversy will be resolved soon, before we start nominating players
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: problems accessing cafe

Postby silentjim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 pm

KalElen wrote:anybody else had them today?

Had them this morning, but not anymore.
silentjim

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap