2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Auction discussion

Postby greyone » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:26 pm

scully19 wrote:Where do we look at the IL list again on yahoo?

Post comments sections.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Basketball

next year

Postby KalElen » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm

rest of the auction should go without any major difficulties, so we should start thinking about next year. we will have
1. probable expansion (how many teams we accept, how many players under contract do old teams get to protect, which draft spots do expansion teams get)
2. free agency (order of free agents being put up for the bidding, number of fa's per team that can be in the auction at the same time)
3. anything else that is not covered by the rules so far, that you think might become an issue in the future
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: next year

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Hmm. Protecting players is going to be a very sticky question. Some teams have most of their cap tied up in a couple of guys and others have a spread out approach to salary, so the teams will be affected much differently (i.e. the spread teams are going to be the ones losing the vast majority of the players). Perhaps more protection and some sort of first crack at free agents might soften the blow. There's a fair amount of talent on 1 year contracts.

What was you initial thought on how many players to protect? Could it possibly be a salary amount that protected instead? I'm not sure.

As for 2, I think one FA per team will still work just fine. It's probably the most elegant and simple way to handle it. There may be some issues with that many players up at once, but the other option is to make it an artificial order, which I'm not sure I like. We also need to figure out how players under contract might affect whatever system we end up adopting to measure 'team direction'. I don't think players not under contract should count, but that makes the artificial FA order impractical.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby The Thrill » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Regarding #1, for what it's worth, I was not bidding with the thought that we might expand the league size next season. I'm not necessarily opposed to it if everyone wants to do that. I'm just giving my $0.02. I'd imagine it will more likely be the case that we may lose a manager or two (or three) and need to fill manager positions moreso than even giving thought to expansion...but I could be wrong.

Regarding #2, what we did after the initial draft seemed to go fine (only one player can be put up for bidding by a manager at one time).

Regarding #3, yes, I think everyone will grow tired of my team dominating the league, so to be fair to all of you, you may wish to address that.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 252)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Yeah, I'm with Fenris in that expansion would pose some serious issues. I propose that instead of x amount of players be kept, we can protect up to say 35-40 million worth of players? Just an idea. Also, I personally would like to hold off on expansion for at least a year. Let's enjoy and get this league going the way we want it. In two years time, expansion would be easier considering how many FA's would become available.

Next year's free agency doesn't sound imposing as to me. We either go pick one player at a time method, or have an auction on a smaller scale starting with the free agent with the highest BBM value and on down. I do think we should hold a rookie draft prior to the FA draft.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby scully19 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:18 pm

1. I did bid very much with the thought that this was my team from now on, and I will be extremely upset if people can someone just drop guys on contracts if they want with no repercussions. You may have understood that there may be some expansion and that that will include the dropping of players, but the rest of us did not know that, and the draft would have gone vastly different if this was the case for most of us. Expansion should not equal dropping.

2. Work free agency like we are now, once FA opens up for the NBA it opens up here (as long as the rookie draft is done for us too), then you nominate someone that you want and bidding starts.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 186)

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:30 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Yeah, I'm with Fenris in that expansion would pose some serious issues. I propose that instead of x amount of players be kept, we can protect up to say 35-40 million worth of players? Just an idea.

It has to be at least 40M if it's going to be a dollar figure. If someone is going to tell me I'm going to lose one of Granger or Bosh to an expansion draft I'll drop this league so fast it'll leave scorch marks.
RedHopeful wrote: Also, I personally would like to hold off on expansion for at least a year. Let's enjoy and get this league going the way we want it. In two years time, expansion would be easier considering how many FA's would become available.

Also a good idea. The FA class in two years would make things easier.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby silentjim » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:58 pm

I vote for no expansion, at least for a season or two so we can figure out what's going on first. We still need to keep it simple IMO.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)

Postby TheRobSays » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:53 pm

I am going with the trend here against expansion next year. I agree we may lose a manager or two. I also think that the rosters are too big to have more teams, we are already looking pretty deep in the player pool.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 70)

Postby cnote23 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:18 pm

silentjim wrote:I vote for no expansion, at least for a season or two so we can figure out what's going on first. We still need to keep it simple IMO.

i agree I been in some leagues who have done this and it never really works so no on that.
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap