2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: Fenris-77, silentjim, RedHopeful, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Auction discussion

Postby The Thrill » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:22 pm

LOL.

Figured it out. My IE is doing something funky (but I don't know what that funky is exactly). :*)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 264)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: next year

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:41 pm

I hear that your not looking to go all dictatorial here, and I think everyone knows it. You do realize that we had a league wide discussion about an issue quite recently though, and your initial decision in that case was the complete opposite of what the majority of league managers voted for. I'm not saying anything one way or another about that situation here except to point out to you that the manner in which it was handled left some lingering unease with me, and with some other GMs.

My comment about leaving the league wasn't in any way an ultimatum either - I understand that what should happen here is that the league votes as a group and decides a course of action - that's more than fine, it's how it should be. What I was doing was explaining the basic parameters within which I'm happy to continue participating. I don't anticipate it will go quite that far anyway.

scully-
You can't expand the league using just the free agency mechanism, it's not even. It would unfairly penalize any teams who happen to have big name free agents coming up in that particular year. What seems more balanced to is to protect a some combination of a number or salary total of players (regardless of contract status, and using the previous year's salary) and then let the expansion draft, whatever it looks like, proceed. After that people can start signing FAs, and I'd probably recommend that in a year with expansion that there some additional protections for free agents signing with their home team, as it will likely include expansion drafted players who were coming into FA. Doing it that way the rookie draft and normal FA period can continue as normal.

In general I think it's a fine idea to use the NBA model for how to go about expansion, with the numbers of protected players adjusted for the number of expansion teams.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Re: Auction discussion

Postby KalElen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:59 pm

The Thrill wrote:LOL.

Figured it out. My IE is doing something funky (but I don't know what that funky is exactly). :*)

you are using ie :-D :-D :-D
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby scully19 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:11 pm

I was assuming that the points system would still be included, and in which case basically no expansion team will be able to sign a max contract player because they would instantly lose in points.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 194)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:17 pm

I think we'd want to use all of the normal league mechanisms, yeah. Depending on how it ends up working we may need to add a couple of wrinkles to make things run ricky-tick, but I would imagine those would be wrinkles expanding the rules in place, not a wholesale over-throw of how the league normally runs.

As a general rule of thumb I would think it makes sense for an expansion team to have trouble signing a max money free agent. Especially if we have a workable set of rules for team direction plus the current rules for previous season's success.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Marcus Thornton

Postby The Thrill » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:24 pm

250K min
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 264)

Postby KalElen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:I hear that your not looking to go all dictatorial here, and I think everyone knows it. You do realize that we had a league wide discussion about an issue quite recently though, and your initial decision in that case was the complete opposite of what the majority of league managers voted for. I'm not saying anything one way or another about that situation here except to point out to you that the manner in which it was handled left some lingering unease with me, and with some other GMs.

actually i went by the rules and i changed the rules based on league response. i'm sensing negativity in some responses here and i don't appreciate them. as if i somehow hid the fact that i want expansion in this league, though i've been talking about it from the start. issue was put on hold when we struggled to gather 16 gms, but it was there from the start. as i said, i might be a little over-sensitive in this league, but that's because i really have put huge amount of time and effort into setting this up and you'll forgive me if i'm not in the mood for being unjustly criticized.

Fenris-77 wrote:scully-
You can't expand the league using just the free agency mechanism, it's not even. It would unfairly penalize any teams who happen to have big name free agents coming up in that particular year. What seems more balanced to is to protect a some combination of a number or salary total of players (regardless of contract status, and using the previous year's salary) and then let the expansion draft, whatever it looks like, proceed. After that people can start signing FAs, and I'd probably recommend that in a year with expansion that there some additional protections for free agents signing with their home team, as it will likely include expansion drafted players who were coming into FA. Doing it that way the rookie draft and normal FA period can continue as normal.

In general I think it's a fine idea to use the NBA model for how to go about expansion, with the numbers of protected players adjusted for the number of expansion teams.

i agree with this. i have several ideas and i'll post them here soon. i think that we can do expansion after 1st season without screwing anybody over. i just need you all to keep an open mind. do not reject the idea without giving it a chance
and try to constructively discuss offered solutions. nobody here is out to get anybody else
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Marcus Thornton

Postby KalElen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:35 pm

min
i can't believe we all forgot about this guy (all of us still paying attention)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scully19 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:50 pm

We all knew you wanted more expansion, heck i want more too, but the way it comes about was not discussed until now. Also, a disagreement is not negativity.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 194)

Postby KalElen » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:08 am

scully19 wrote:You may have understood that there may be some expansion and that that will include the dropping of players, but the rest of us did not know that, and the draft would have gone vastly different if this was the case for most of us. Expansion should not equal dropping.

i must be paranoid and oversensitive. there's nothing accusing in this post
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap