Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Marcus Thornton

Postby The Thrill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:17 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
The Thrill wrote:24 hours have passed.

So, I guess a mini-roto solves the tie now? Not that I really know what a mini-roto matchup actually is. O:-)

It's like normal roto, but you only get to use players under under six feet. With a bonus if you roster Nate Robinson.

Doh! That stinks. :-t

Only thing that concerns me a little is whether the roto matchup is based on straight cumulative statistics. I assume that it is (and not some kind of cumulative of averages)? :-?
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:44 pm

The Thrill wrote:Doh! That stinks. :-t

Only thing that concerns me a little is whether the roto matchup is based on straight cumulative statistics. I assume that it is (and not some kind of cumulative of averages)? :-?

Cumulative averages?! What kind of crazy roto do you play?
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

Re: Joel Anthony

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:35 pm

min
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Will Bynum

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:36 pm

EDITED THREAD TITTLE (CAPITAL LETTERS)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:47 pm

it's roto league based on averages players posted in previous year. thrill wins easily
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Jason Kapono

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm

min
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Auction discussion

Postby The Thrill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 pm

KalElen wrote:it's roto league based on averages players posted in previous year. thrill wins easily

Yea!!! I'll take it. But I must confess, I still don't know how it was calculated. Sounds like it was calculated in a way that I was actually suggesting I don't think it should be calculated, but I guess this time around I won't complain. :-o :-) :-S

[meaning: I don't think it should be based on averages the players posted last year, but rather based upon their cumulative totals, but that's just my $0.02, I guess I don't recall the rules specifying it out] O:-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:18 pm

The Thrill wrote:
KalElen wrote:it's roto league based on averages players posted in previous year. thrill wins easily

Yea!!! I'll take it. But I must confess, I still don't know how it was calculated. Sounds like it was calculated in a way that I was actually suggesting I don't think it should be calculated, but I guess this time around I won't complain. :-o :-) :-S

[meaning: I don't think it should be based on averages the players posted last year, but rather based upon their cumulative totals, but that's just my $0.02, I guess I don't recall the rules specifying it out] O:-)

I don't get this at all. It' supposed to be a mini-roto league right? Not a mini HtH league? Roto, but it's very definition is about cumulative scoring, not average scoring. I wasn't concerned about the exact mechanics of the MRL, because it said it was roto, so I assumed it used, you know, roto scoring.

This is the sort of expectation vs reality thing that has been giving people hives with this league. The rule about the MRL says only...
if 2 or more teams have same amount of cap free and bid it all on a player, that player is awarded to a team that comes out as a winner of a roto mini-league based on last year's numbers.

There's no possible way anyone reading that rule would come to the conclusion that is was going to figured out using averaged stats.

I'm not pointing fingers here, and I don't care how we figure the MRL out (only that we do). What I'm concerned about is that if things keep popping up that don't really match what the rules say, that people will get pissed. I think we need to make sure that if new rules are going into practice for the first time that we get some clarification first, or something. Constantly being surprised is annoying.

This isn't me blaming you Kal btw, I know what state the rules posts are in, I'm just saying that we need to be a little more proactive on the transparency side of things.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:24 pm

actually it was never discussed. i meant to do it this way from the start, for one simple reason: it's easier. i have all averages on a draft sheet so calculating per game averages for a team is just a matter of calculating sums for every cat. calculating totals would require some multiplying as well but i guess if it's a big deal for anybody i can do that too. so far we've had 2 mini-leagues and i lost them both regardless of the method used
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 pm

KalElen wrote:actually it was never discussed. i meant to do it this way from the start, for one simple reason: it's easier. i have all averages on a draft sheet so calculating per game averages for a team is just a matter of calculating sums for every cat. calculating totals would require some multiplying as well but i guess if it's a big deal for anybody i can do that too. so far we've had 2 mini-leagues and i lost them both regardless of the method used

Not at all man, I'm completely fine with the way you're doing it (and yeah, way easier). What I'd like is to collectively try and avoid any more WTF?! moments as we move forward. We need to make sure that if what you're going to implement isn't clearly laid out in the rules that we try to look at it before implementation. I know that's not always going to work, but I think it's in our collective best interest to try.

To be clear, I'm not pointing the finger at you here. Someone should have asked. All I'm saying is that we should collectively try to eliminate situations where GMs are surprised by the exact mechanics that determine whether or not they get a player (or anything else that matters).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap