2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Auction discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:45 am

also allowing this one to sink. i'll create new thread for regular season discussion
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

2009/2010 season discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:51 am

all questions, comments and smack talk are welcome here. of course if you think there's a need you can always post new threads (to advertise your trade block or anything else), but i'd like to keep this forum clean and organized without too many threads if possible
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

auction strategy discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 am

now that auction is over i was hoping we could discuss our strategies heading into the auction. this was a learning experience for all of us and i'm very curious to see what you guys had planned for the auction

as for myself, my goal was to get one of the cp3, lbj or kd (kd was my favorite because i figured i had best chance at getting him for 3 years out of the 3) and then go after players that i see as bargains to complete the rosters. i wasn't expecting to have more then 1 or maybe 2 top 30 guys on my team because i expected them to be overvalued, which proved to be correct assumption. because almost all of us spent huge amount of cap space for the top players, some great contributors went on for bargain prices at mid-stages of the auction. after all 3 of my targets got into 2 year region i decided to pass on them but couldn't resist driving up the price a little as i was sure that there will be guys willing to pay whatever it takes to get the studs. finally i chickened out of the driving up and bid 4*20M on deron who was the best consolation prize available. maybe i could have gotten him cheaper but decided not to risk somebody else making this offer and forcing me to either pass on him too or go into 3 year territory. then the draft was stopped, some offers were voided and i ended up with a high bid on kd and deron. driving up the price blew up in my face as i was left with less then 15M to complete my roster. at that point i adopted a new strategy. i decided to go after 5 cats each week. i knew it probably won't be enough to make the playoffs but at least it should give me decent chance at being near top ten which should help me out in free agency next year and give me better lottery chances. i targeted fg%, ft%, 3s, assists because they were the strengths of my two acquired players and hoped to be better then most in tos due to having only 3-4 players who contributed many of those. jj and ben gordon fit into that strategy (they bring some assists, 3s, ft%). rest of my squad had to be filled with min offers, so i chose players who might be able to actually contribute something at some point this season. along the way i picked up 3 cheap shot-blockers in order to attempt to win blocks from time to time, against the teams who are tanking them. there you have my grand strategy. i should point out, that i forgot about expansion completely during the auction so i'm facing the prospect of losing one or 2 of my top 4 players in it, but i'm still willing to go through with it

so let's have some more posts here
so there you have it. next year i'm gonna have 5-6M in cap space after the draft so i should be able to get a decent free agent so i'll be in much better position to compete and hopefully have a good chance of resigning kd after year two.
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: auction strategy discussion

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:18 pm

also i'll stop using word "so" so much
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: SS&D Trading Block

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 pm

trades are now allowed so i'm bumping this thread
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

James Posey offer

Postby ardilla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Minimum (250K for 1 year) on James Posey

This would put me over the cap so it requires a minimum contract exception.

Need to replace Jamison for a bit.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

nene you need to cut a player

Postby KalElen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:44 pm

i'm assuming it's jack, but i'd prefer if you announced it yourself
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

complete salary information - updated 03.09.2010

Postby KalElen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:06 am

cap information and trade checker can be found here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/416790628/SCL_10-11.xls.html
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: ***next year free agency***

Postby KalElen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:19 am

ok just to get the discussion going i'm gonna post my opinion first. i would vote for option number one because i think it brings more strategy into free agency process.
and i would like to see both fa groups bid on at the same time, because i don't think that many renounced and free agents that weren't on anybody's roster at the year's end would actually go into the auction so tehere shouldn't be too big of a mess
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: ***expansion***

Postby KalElen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:27 am

my preferences so far:

1) do we hold it after year one, or after year two? after year one
2) how many new teams do we accept? 2 or 4 depending on the number of qualified candidates
3) number of teams do we want to reach? 30

protection options mentioned so far:
a) every team can lose up to a predetermined number of players to expansion teams - 1 or 2 depending on number of expansion teams
b) every team can protect predetermined number of players - no more then 5
c) every team can protect players that take up to predetermined amount of cap space (what do we do with free agents in this case?) - 40M, free agents are not involved in the expansion in any way
d) expansion teams start year one with reduced soft cap limit - yes, 45M and they have to draft at least half of that worth of contracts during auction

how expansion draft will look:
-snake draft where all selected players keep their salaries on new teams - much easier to maintain

if we decide to do do an expansion we should probably hold expansion draft/auction after the rookie draft, but before free agency

lottery chances would have to be changed. i think that expansion teams should get chances equal to the old teams with best percentages of winning the lottery

do we change cap values when we accept new teams in order to prevent significant amount of money entering the league? for instance keep total sof cap (currently 16*65) unchanged by making it 16*65/20(if we decide to accept 4 expansion teams)=52M and hard cap in the same way? i don't think it's necessary

do we give teams that lose players through expansion tpes (taken player exceptions) in the amount of lost player's contract that can be used in trades or renounced in order to regain cap space? yes
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap