Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: IL list

Postby cnote23 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:43 am

nah I will stay put.
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: ***il list management***

Postby scully19 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:03 pm

do we? I thought every player that is a free agent can be signed right away by anyone for minimum on a 10-day or full season without bidding, because that player wouldn't have a team regardless so they will play for anyone and anything.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 203)

Re: ***il list management***

Postby KalElen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:28 pm

scully19 wrote:do we? I thought every player that is a free agent can be signed right away by anyone for minimum on a 10-day or full season without bidding, because that player wouldn't have a team regardless so they will play for anyone and anything.

that is true, but i don't think that's what he was asking. that is definitely an option. just it's not 10 days, but 7 days and there is a cap of 40 7 day contracts per season
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Activating Hakim Warrick and putting Ridnour on IL

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:18 am

I'd like to activate Hakim Warrick from my IL, and place Luke Ridnour on the IL in his place.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ***next year free agency***

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:20 am

RedHopeful wrote:
KalElen wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:If we want to limit the number of players who can be bid on at the same time form one team it would also work to stipulate that no more than one FA from a given team can be be nominated by a different GM at the same time. So the Gm in question here can both address his most pressing FA in an order he wants to, but without limiting too much the ability of other GMs to target players form other teams that they want to bid on.

this might get a little messy with up to 32 players in the pool at the same time, but i like it. at this point we should all have enough experience with the auction to make it work

Agreed.

Definitely hold rookie draft first.

agreed on both counts. just like real life on the draft/free agency order.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: IL list

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:21 am

I'd like to activate Hakim Warrick from my IL, and place Luke Ridnour on the IL in his place.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Re: ***expansion***

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:23 am

ardilla wrote:I am not in favor of expanding at all. It is difficult enough to keep 16 teams active without trying to add more. We needed multiple replacement managers just to make it through the auction.

If it were to happen, I agree with those who said we should wait a year before allowing it. More FAs will open up. I also agree with the higher protection #s and a 2-team limit per year for expansion.

I'm in agreement with this for right now.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Ben Wallace Offer

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:04 pm

250K one year minimum bid

I'll have to waive someone if it goes through.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby KalElen » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:05 pm

we went through so much trouble to set this league up and now you want to go with cheap solutions that involve fcfs. that is not something i'm ever going to even consider voting for. vast majority of leagues go for simplicity over all else, but we are not among those. my solution is not perfect, i know that. it gives small advantage to teams with less cap space, but that advantage is so miniscule that it's not even worth talking about. all it's gonna do is to force teams with more cap space spend 250k more. on the other hand it's extremely simple, almost as simple as fcfs. btw everyone always focuses on capped out vs. cap space, but when 2 teams with cap space bid on the same player, team with less space can match if it's the max it can offer; if fernis offers 10M and has 1 more M while i have just 10M i could match and he'd have to go to 10.25M.
solutions we have so far
*some version of fcfs with home team matching (why would home team be allowed to match btw? what's the point of having cap if every team is going to be allowed to keep all of its players all the time. sounds pointless to me)
*allow matching and use points system to break the ties (regardless of how much you tweak the points system, it remains completely arbitrary because you have to choose values and compare factors that are in no way related)
*allow matching only when a team is offering maximum available to it and resolve by giving a player to a team offering its max (this is never gonna happen because team with more cap space will resolve it for us by bidding additional 250k and make it all nice and clean 99% of the time)
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:20 pm

You're the one who said teams can always match for their own FAs, so you tell us. As a general idea it's part of NBA contract and salary, so why wouldn't it appear in some form or another?

And the advantage isn't minuscule. Look at the number of quality players on min offers this year and try to say that with a straight face. There's too many good guys in that category for the advantage not to matter a great deal. Besides the fact that it doesn't make any sense. :-D

What you missing here is that no one seems to like the very idea that a team's cap situation should be the determining factor in landing a player, whether for the min, or the MLE, or whatever. It's not about just about simplicity. I'd rather live with FCFS, even though that has it's own attendant set of issues. My actual preference is to get a tie breaking mechanism in place that makes sense, both as a game mechanic and as a fantasy-based reflection of the real NBA. Basing it on cap does neither IMO. Points is no more or less arbitrary, but does have the value of being a better refection of how a FA would actually pick a team - i.e. it reflects how good the team is and how much paying time he's going to get. It also has the ability to be as detailed and nuanced as we'd like (or as simple as we like for that matter).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap