2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:44 pm

On the diplomacy side let's all feel the love a little and focus on the league and having fun. :-)

As for a points system I think starting from the ground up is the way to go. The first thing we need to do is decide what factors should count, and a rough weighting for those factors. My initial thoughts...

Previous seasons performance
Open roster slots
team direction

I know those are the three we already have, but they're also the three that make the most sense. Essentially it should define both how the team good is and is going to be, as well as available playing time. Performance and direction could be folded into one thing too. As much as last season's record should count, I also think that the number of signed players on the roster from that team should count as well. Maybe something like this:

Overall winner - 4 pts
Runner up - 3 pts
Second round playoff team - 2 pts
playoff team - 1 pt (theses aren't cumulative, a team gets the highest one that applies)

Direction points:
Something based on BBM scores, totaling somewhere 10-15 points. A team only gets the points if the player is signed. Every signed player adds points to the total. Likely only the top 75 or 50 players would count for points. These points are determined at the start of the offseason, so it's not a lot of upkeep. Call this points for your 'core'.

Open slots - if the team has an open active roster slot that the player can fill it gets +6 points (8 or fewer players), an open bench slot is worth 2 pts (9-10 players) and an IL slot is worth bupkus. That's based on this years roster make up of course.

When making a bid a GM would just tack on the total points for easy comparison. It generally favours teams with less (up to a point) and better players to start the offseason, but as rosters fill the bonus for available PT should be the one that makes the most difference. I also like that it would focus on the quality of player on a given team a little more than previous season results. HtH is a very mercurial game, and playoff wins don't necessarily match up with 'best team' as an idea. I think this would also make GMs pretty interested in resigning their own best FAs as son as possible, which would streamline the offseason a lot.

Obviously the weighting could be changed to suit the majority of the leagues likes and dislikes. As far as ease of use goes, the points for your remaining players and playoff appearance is calculated at the beginning of the offseason, and all any one gm would have to do is add on the points for open slots, and add the player point totals together as they sign more players. It's certainly the case that using a system like this that a team would know before hand when they can win a FA just by matching, but I'm ok with that.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: roll call

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Im here. Cmon Kal let the dust settle a little bit. All of us were here for the entire auction process. I don't see anyone bailing now. Especially after waiting out the construction of the teams and league.

11 football teams & 10 basketball teams under my belt all uber competitive. !+) I like to treat them all fairly. And my other teams have been neglected because the attention SS&D has received.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: ***team direction rule***

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:50 pm

After some consideration, I think we should do away with Team Direction entirely. O:-) You've got some players that only go in it for the money and stardom IRL (Joe Johnson immediately comes to mind). Plus, when we start introducing BBM into the equation, I think that is flawed given the nature of our league (H2H). Despite there being 9 categories that we have to work with, I am sure many of us took specific strategies to focus on certain categories and it would seem flawed to introduce and all-encompassing 9 cat BBM valuation methodology for this purpose (I guess I could see arguments on both sides).

Given the other mechanisms we have for coming up with point values, I'm not sure team direction is really critical. :-/
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Re: roll call

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Present.

Please note, I am a slow reader (no, seriously, you wanna talk numbers, I'm fine, but words, oy......), so when it comes to rule discussions, it takes about 10 minutes out my day to sit and read, comprehend the opinions and then provide an opinion. I don't have many "10 minutes" to give in my day (I usually hop on for about 2 mintues at a time intermittently in the day), so my responses will come one at a time when I have time. ;-)
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

What is the purpose of "one week contracts"

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Can I kindly ask, what is the purpose of "one week contracts" in our rules? :-?

If I exercise a one week contract, it counts as a min against my cap for the year ($250K). So I think to myself, why wouldn't I just go ahead and offer a commitment min (for the full year)? Then, if the player doesn't work out, I simply drop him and only 75% of that will hit my cap for the current year. :-?

I guess the only thing I can think of is if you can issue a one week contract AND be allowed to have more than 14 players (is that the intent?). That would be only scenario I can think of that one might want to issue a one week contract.

Please discuss, because I'm quite interested. :-) B-)

Thanks in advance!
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby ardilla » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:07 pm

I like using roster spots and last year's finish, but there are a few things I dislike about using BBM:

1. Thrill made a good point in another thread.
2. Rewards teams twice for having a better team (1 time for last year's finish, again for having better players)
3. Complicated (go by averages or total, rookies have no value, requires me to make calculations or trust someone else to)

Fenris - I agree last year's finish doesn't always reflect quality of team as stated by BBM which weakens my second point. However, this may say more about BBM's inability to give a perfect picture of value for fantasy basketball, especially H2H, as winning is more important than having a high BBM score at the end of the day.

Why no points for IL spots?
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Re: What is the purpose of "one week contracts"

Postby ardilla » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:24 pm

It doesn't count for the year, it comes off when the player is dropped at the end of 7 days.

Originally, I proposed this because we weren't allowing players to be waived, so I felt some sort of flexibility would be needed to cover for injuries. You could keep a spot open and use 7 day contracts. Now that we allow waiving though, and everyone is using unlimited min contract exceptions, I don't think it has a purpose really.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:25 pm

:popcorn:
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: What is the purpose of "one week contracts"

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:29 pm

I am missing the advantage as well. Appears to be a rule superseded by a new rule.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby silentjim » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:31 pm

The Thrill wrote:After some consideration, I think we should do away with Team Direction entirely. O:-) You've got some players that only go in it for the money and stardom IRL (Joe Johnson immediately comes to mind). Plus, when we start introducing BBM into the equation, I think that is flawed given the nature of our league (H2H). Despite there being 9 categories that we have to work with, I am sure many of us took specific strategies to focus on certain categories and it would seem flawed to introduce and all-encompassing 9 cat BBM valuation methodology for this purpose (I guess I could see arguments on both sides).

Given the other mechanisms we have for coming up with point values, I'm not sure team direction is really critical. :-/

This was my thought process as well.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 733)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap