2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: Fenris-77, silentjim, RedHopeful, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: What is the purpose of "one week contracts"

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Ah, I see. Hmm. Sounds like there was an amendment to the rules I overlooked. :-?

I was referring to the official rules where it states, "- during the season every team can sign up to 40 one week contracts..." I didn't realize there was an amendment to it. I'll look for it.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 264)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: ***il list management***

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:37 pm

IL roster thread is good. More organized than sifting through pages of IL's on yahoo message board.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Waivers is a better option. But there are teams who will not want to sign players to a full year deal. Basically a test drive or rent a car type of player.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: roll call

Postby silentjim » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Yeah, I've been lurking and reading as well this week since I've been busy. It would probably help if we weren't trying to cover a dozen topics at a time. When I see 10 new posts on rules and I don't have a half hour to read them all, I just ignore them. Simple as that.

Let's propose discussion/voting/arguing/etc on one rule or portion at a time.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 632)

Re: ***expansion***

Postby silentjim » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Postponing expansion until we have all of the other rules figured out makes sense. It will also allow for better league dynamic since there will be more FAs in year two or three.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 632)

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:00 pm

IL spots won't play, so it made sense to not give them a point value. The idea being you get one bonus, depending on how much room you have for the FA in question.

1. Thill's comments are based on us keeping the rest of the far more complicated points system currently in place. I propose to simplify that immensely to just a small bonus for making the playoffs.

2. As mentioned, the bonus for previous seasons success should be drastically reduced if we're going to use player value as a tie breaker. So it's not nearly so much about a double dip. Team value in fantasy is far more about the quality of individual players and this points system represents that.

3. It's not complicated, it's just beta test. Rookies probably can and should be rated by pick (lottery picks are worth more ect). As far as averages vs total I'd say average by game with a small penalty for missing more that x number of games (15, 20, whatever). I'm not suggesting that everyone have to do their own calculations either. I'd be happy to port the BBM values over and do a master list myself in fact. Then guys can just look at that for player value.

Part of the reason I like doing it this way is it's flexible - it allows a teams 'value' to increase as more and better players are signed, and it avoids handing out big bonuses to teams who did well the previous season but have 3 or 4 good players as FAs. I like that it's based as much as possible on the current team, with values assigned by player from the previous season's stats. I also like that teams can go into the offseason knowing exactly where they stand for points, and can address their team value as they see fit, rather than having it be random, or based on something they can't control.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that we just kind of pick some values and call it a day. Any points system we go with would need to be tested using various team situations (I'd probably use next seasons FA to do it). Once we have some actual scores and outcomes to look at we can decide if it's balanced, elegant, ect. Game design isn't like dusting crops. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Re: ***next year free agency***

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Rookie Draft 1 week after NBA draft. 1 round or 2?

If we use the dual free agency system. Where will undrafted Rookies fall?

Im in a dynasty football league using 2 separate free agency classes. It works fine. Actually extends GMs duties. And creates a calender for owners to follow. Encourages us to return at different points during the non playing season.

If we use 1 free agency period. All the action will be upfront. Once the pantry has been raided. People will visit less.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:11 pm

A lot of teams don't have the slots to use one week contracts anyway. You can't possibly use the IL, since that has a prohibitively low total moves allowed.

I think we'd probably be ok using straight waivers, since the one year cap hit doesn't really change anything except for a team currently under the cap. 7 days is complicated set next to actual Yahoo waiver mechanics too.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Let me start by saying I like FCFS.

In the NBA, if I bring in Darius Miles for a workout and sign him to a 10 day contract. Are other teams allowed to match my 10 day contract? :-? No.

I am already showing my hand by posting the bid. Alerting the league to my sharkness. Allowing another owner to piggy back on my research and agressiveness, should he chose to OUTBID me.

Real life example. Ben Wallace is currently up for bid. 1st instinct is to ignore this terrible washed up player. Other owners....Wallace sucks...but Fenris knows his shit. Let me do my due dillegence and study up on Wallace. Oh crap. Ben wallace is starting. Averaging 9 rebs, 1 stl and 1 block. I think I want him. Match bid. Now what? MRL. hahaha Fenris. I win the MRL. Wallace is mine. Thanks for the tip. Thats BS. But its part of the process.

I firmly believe, If you want a player you must be aggressive to acquire him. OUTBID me.

I hate the idea of a match bid being the superseding bid. In this case it becomes, "Last come, First to be served." Basically a reverse effect to FCFS. %-6

Lucky for us we don't use a blind bidding system. Then you wouldn't have any idea until after the fact.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: ***expansion***

Postby greyone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:28 pm

:popcorn:
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach