2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: ***il list management***

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Good idea guys, just updated after my pickup.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby ardilla » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:53 pm

My preference is pure FCFS, good description above, but it has its opponents.

For the IL spots in Fenris' point system, I think counting them makes sense in a few ways. For one, if I am a minimum contract type of FA, I would rather sign with a team that at least has IL spots open than one who will have to cut players when the season starts. Secondly, it creates a wider range of situations where teams get a bonus for having fewer players when going into a FA negotiation.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Re: ***min offers rule***

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:25 pm

That makes sense, I'd forgotten that teams could sign more than the roster size in players during the offseason. Sure, call the IL slots +1.

I'm against FCSF out of deference to Kal. He's the league commish, and FCFS really kicks him in the nads (me too, but oh well). The issue is that the end of a day's games come at 12-1am or earlier for everyone in NA, and in the middle of the night for us on this side of the pond. So going FCFS means we miss out on every single after-game pickup. It's got nothing to do with preparedness either. I'm prepared (and active), just in the wrong time zone.

I can sympathize with Kal not wanting to change a league rule to some thing that sucks just for him (and one other guy). I realize that we have that same problem in every other normal league, but when Kal's the guy who set this up I can see why he'd want at least this one to be different.

I'm ok with some sort of hybrid approach too. I completely sympathize with your issues about guys piggy-backing on the research of others. So maybe there a way to prevent some of that. We're talking about a whole host of different situations here, so maybe we should consider that the MLE and max deals could use the points system, and min bids be FCFS. And perhaps say that in other circumstances we limit when a team can just match. The offseason could be different than the regular season too. I only laid out a rough groundwork, not a hard and fast set of rules. There's lots of details we can work out to make things as balanced and WTF?! free as possible.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

Re: ***next year free agency***

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:06 pm

It wouldn't be dual FA. I think the rookie draft will just like NBAs - fixed salary for the first rounders and something more flexible for second rounders. Undrafted rookies (in our draft) become normal FAs.

I'd like to see the rookie draft sometime right near the real-life equivalent, and the rest of FAs dealt with closer to regular season.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:13 pm

Um, what is this IL List you guys are updating yourselves? :-S

The IL List I see is Kal's thread that's a sticky at the top of this forum. Since he has mod/commish priviledges in this forum, I know you guys aren't editing his thread (except for maybe RedHopeful could, I guess).

What IL List are we talking about now? O:-) :-/
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Re: ***next year free agency***

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:42 pm

I agree, rookie draft before FA draft.

I like one big pool of FA's personally. I expect our managers to be interested in this league and don't expect to have to find ways to make them interested in this league. :-b (but I do get what greyone is saying).

My preference, if voting, is to have no more than 16 players being bid on at one time (dump the undrafted rookies into the FA pool as well). Dump the kitchen sink in there too while we're at it.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: ***expansion***

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:05 pm

I enjoyed reading the comments/dialogue. I think I understood most of it. :*)

I would wait until after year 2 (keep in mind after year 2 some players become FA's like Durant, LeBron, Paul, etc). I like the lists Fenris is presenting to give us some ideas, but have to give it much more thought as to have an opinion.

I think we take expansion one step at a time. I think a good first goal is to reach 20 teams for year 3 (4 teams being added that offseason).

Expansion draft first
Then rookie draft
Then FA draft
(I think that order makes sense for that particular offseason :-? )
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:11 pm

The Thrill wrote:Um, what is this IL List you guys are updating yourselves? :-S

The IL List I see is Kal's thread that's a sticky at the top of this forum. Since he has mod/commish priviledges in this forum, I know you guys aren't editing his thread (except for maybe RedHopeful could, I guess).

What IL List are we talking about now? O:-) :-/

The IL list in the 'Post Message' area of our Yahoo League. ;-)
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Ersan Ilyasova

Postby The Thrill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:40 pm

$250K MIN OFFER

[will move CJ Miles to IA if I win this bid]
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

Re: 2009/2010 season discussion

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm not exactly sure where this info should go, but I'm waiving Drew Gooden for Ben Wallace. I'm just going to do a standard drop-add on yahoo to reflect that.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap