2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: let's try again

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Where are we at on restricted free agency? You mentioned at one point that you were thinking of making all FA's restricted and I think that's a little too mcuh protection.

Rather than calling everone a RFA, or having to keep track of who's rookie deal is ending when, what if we allowed teams to nominate one or possibly two players as RFAs at the beginning of the offseason? That's probably not too much, and it allows teams a certain amount of protection for the players they really want to keep. And it's simple, which I like.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KalElen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Where are we at on restricted free agency? You mentioned at one point that you were thinking of making all FA's restricted and I think that's a little too mcuh protection.

Rather than calling everone a RFA, or having to keep track of who's rookie deal is ending when, what if we allowed teams to nominate one or possibly two players as RFAs at the beginning of the offseason? That's probably not too much, and it allows teams a certain amount of protection for the players they really want to keep. And it's simple, which I like.

i was thinking all rookie contracts come with restricted free agency option, providing proper contract options are exercised, not all fas in general. i think it's the cleanest way. i don't like having any rules that can change when player becomes fa after he is signed to a contract or give home team any additional advantage in free agency. if you feel strongly about it we could put it on vote though, but i don't think it's a good idea to change contracts in any way after they are signed
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:22 pm

You wouldn't be changing any contracts either way though. I wasn't suggesting we add a qualifying offer, just restricted free agency (i.e. the right to match offered contracts even if over the cap). I'm fine if it's just on rookies, I just question how that's going to work with the guys people already have on their rosters. We want to make this coming offseason and one after it as much like normal offseasons as possible, so there should be some guys who end up as RFAs, even it's just based on draft year. Nominating one RFA a season just sounded easier than that.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KalElen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm

you have to have a qualifying offer in order to have restricted free agency. and you can't add qualifying offer without changing current structure of the contract, either by adding another year to act as qualifying offer, or making last guaranteed year qualifying offer. we are better off not having restricted free agncey for first 2 summers then doing either of those 2 things. i'm not sure we want to institute a new rule just in order to have rfa. it's not like rfa is some super cool and fun element that we need right away :-D . at least that's the way i see it
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 pm

You need both in the NBA, but that doesn't eman we need to do that in this league. I think it would be far simpler to just allow matching salaries. We're using cap holds anyway, so the Qual offer seems like an extra step we can probably do without.

As for whether or not we need it, I think we need to try and get as many of these features in place now as possible. Exactly how RFA work, or if they're going to work, is something that affects my decisions as a GM, and I generally want to know when I draft a rookie what his FA options will look like. I also don't really think it would be fair to not have RFA for the next two years, allowing all kinds of FA poaching, only to add it in later. I think it sounds fairest to give all players of the same type the same protection. Perhaps a compromise there would be to call anyone drafted into the NBA this past draft (or maybe two drafts) an RFA at the end of their current fantasy contracts, however long that might be. Without a Qual offer, which I don't think we need anyway.

To be clear, I do think it's an issue to not have any FA protection for the next two years, and then add at it after that time.

I guess in general I'm not a big of fan of adding rules later when we could add them now and get an extra season of stress testing done to see if we have it screwed on right. Not when it's something as relatively simple as restricted free agency.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Trades

Postby The Thrill » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:39 am

The Thrill trades: Tony Parker, Nick Collison, Ron Artest

DVauthrin trades: Brad Miller, Shawn Marion, Josh Howard
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Re: Trades

Postby DVauthrin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:31 pm

The Thrill wrote:The Thrill trades: Tony Parker, Nick Collison, Ron Artest

DVauthrin trades: Brad Miller, Shawn Marion, Josh Howard

confirmed.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:52 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
To be clear, I do think it's an issue to not have any FA protection for the next two years, and then add at it after that time.

I guess in general I'm not a big of fan of adding rules later when we could add them now and get an extra season of stress testing done to see if we have it screwed on right. Not when it's something as relatively simple as restricted free agency.

I agree. As an owner with a good rookie player(jonny flynn), I feel it's important to know if I'll have the ability to match any offers for him after next season.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 164)
Home Cafe: Baseball

free agency dillema

Postby greyone » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:22 pm

7 Day Contract

Post signing waive Brandon Bass

Post signing place Mario Chalmers on IL.

Can I add Collison now? Or is there a processing time? :-?
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: IL list

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:53 am

Nenad Krstic and Donte Greene down to the IL and Terrence Williams and Amir Johnson to the active roster.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap