2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: IMPORTANT: VOTE ON EXPANSION AND NEW RULES

Postby KalElen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:35 am

ardilla wrote:Hypothetical scenario:

A rookie with a one-year contract ending at the end of this season becomes a rfa. I offer 250K. The team who owned him this season matches. Can I then out-bid?

he has to wait 24h so that bidding is done. after that he can match and you can't reopen the bidding. this means that you not only have to outbid other interested gms, but also have to put forward high enough bid to dissuade old tam from matching. i'll also remind you that you are allowed to outbid yourself within 24h, but you don't reset the clock by doing so. what this means is that you can improve your offer at any point within those 24, in attempt to discourage old team to match. this goes for both rookie scale rfa already in power and for these potential one time only mrfa rookies
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: IMPORTANT: VOTE ON EXPANSION AND NEW RULES

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 am

ardilla wrote:A rookie with a one-year contract ending at the end of this season becomes a rfa. I offer 250K. The team who owned him this season matches. Can I then out-bid?

If it worked as you describe it wouldn't really look that much like restricted free agency. The idea was to aim for a mechanic that at least resembled the one that happens in real life. There was a different mechanic that covered matching within the auction process. Mind you, now that I think about it, RFA would have been the best mechanic to allow that, btu I think we've past the point of no return on that.

Essentially, the RFA process forces other teams to offer more reasonably sized contracts to those free agents instead of lowballing. If you want to poach an RFA then you'll need to invest some coin in doing so, depending on the home team's cap situation. It also provides a certain amount of protection for teams who invest in youth. Conceptually that matches up pretty well with real life.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Re: Waived players thread

Postby KalElen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:33 am

waving Kris Humphries
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Andre Blatche offer

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 am

Andray Blatche - minimum offer
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

want some more drama around here? there you go

Postby KalElen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 am

few days ago ardilla notified me via pm that he is quitting the league because:
I don't want to be in a league where the rules keep changing to benefit certain teams and in the past I have found it pointless to discuss it with you.

obviously he thinks that i somehow manipulated fernis into suggesting those 2 new rules and that nobody here can stop me, but whatever. i told him that there is no need to sick around and set his roster, just for our sake. if he isn't into this league 100%, we definitely don't need any favors from him. but he has seen through my latest and cleverest manipulation yet:
I wont quit on the league mid-season, but I wont be back next year. I know you want me to stop setting my lineups to give your team a better chance of making the playoffs and I will do my best to make you earn it.

now i have absolutely no delusions about making playoffs this season, but i'm glad he still believes in my skills.

what i've done to earn such hostility, i don't know and to be honest, i don't care. i don't think any better of him, but that too is irrelevant. if anybody else agrees with his opinion of me, i'd like to ask you to quit right away. as i've said many times before, i don't want any negativity in this league. heated argument is ok, insults are not, so the sooner he is gone for good, the better. i'm still thinking about whether i should lock his team and proceed to set the lineups the way i do with other 2 dead teams. if it wasn't such a pain in my ass, i would have probably done it already
just letting you guys know what's going on. i'm sorry for all the drama. believe me, i know how stupid it looks to everyone else, but i can't do anything about it
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: want some more drama around here? there you go

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:40 am

If it's any consolation I'll happily admit that those two rules were ones I suggested myself, and ones that I know Kal and I don't see eye to eye on. I didn't suggest them in order to give any team a leg up either, but rather to try and get the best possible rules set in place moving forward. This is a complicated league, and if at all possible I think we really should have the full rules hammered out this season and not dribble them in over the course of several seasons. I'm not behind playing with a damaged or incomplete set of league rules just because it's some work to get a good set agreed on either.

More specifically, both rules I suggested are attempts to allow the league to operate for the first two or three seasons under circumstances that are as much like the full actual rules as possible. I don't see any reason why rookies drafted this year should be treated differently then rookies drafted other years. The same goes for Bird Rights - the league is degined to use them anyway, and I don't want to play without them now only to implement them later.

It's unfortunate that some people would choose to see this as someone (I suppose either Kal or myself) trying to gain an advantage for our own teams, since that's simply not the case. Both our teams need more than some RFA and Bird Right rules to look top drawer anyway. :-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Waived players thread

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:32 am

Waiving Chris Douglas-Roberts, adding Andre Blatche
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: IL list

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:33 am

CDR is waived, moving T-Williams down to the IL and Blatche to the active roster
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Very disappointing to say the least, ardilla. :-S

Call me crazy but I thought this league was a work in progress since its inception. :-?

Kal, don't apologize for another's mistakes. ;-7
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby silentjim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Yeah, without being too mean to ardilla, I think he's just gotten busy with other things and would rather not admit it that. The few posts his made here over the last few months have all been for the Salary Cap League and his interest in fantasy basketball seems to be dwindling.

I'm glad he has no intention of bailing in the middle of a season though.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap