2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: complete salary information

Postby So-Tex » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:14 am

One quick question - when you're looking at the spreadsheet "SCL_10-11", what does the "R/W" field designate?

KalElen wrote:all errors should be fixed now, but you never know ;-)

I think I found one with the team labeled "The Thrill" - it has DJ White listed twice, but the numbers are slightly different. Maybe one is listed with the wrong player name?

And get ready for the barrage of questions coming your way! O:-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KalElen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:47 am

So-Tex wrote:One quick question - when you're looking at the spreadsheet "SCL_10-11", what does the "R/W" field designate?

KalElen wrote:all errors should be fixed now, but you never know ;-)

I think I found one with the team labeled "The Thrill" - it has DJ White listed twice, but the numbers are slightly different. Maybe one is listed with the wrong player name?

And get ready for the barrage of questions coming your way! O:-)

so much about my announcement :-) . fixed that one. if you spot any others let me know
r/w is a salary modifier. i forgot what r stands for, but i'm pretty sure that w is for waived. it's value is 1 if a player is on the team's roster (meaning he hasn't be dropped during the season). modifier 0.75 represents players who have been dropped during the current season (so 75% of their salaries counts against the cap). there are no 0.75 modifiers at this point because we are just starting 2nd season so nobody has been dropped yet. finally 0.5 represents players who were dropped previous season, but were signed to long term contracts so their salary continues to count against team's cap (50% of to be exact) until those contracts run out. if you have any more questions, bring them on :-D
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: team draft

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:18 pm

I'll take Thrill's team.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roster/Salary Info 2010/11

Postby scully19 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:56 pm

PG: Jason Kidd (11.5)
SG: Gilbert Arenas (10+9.5+10)
G: Devin Harris (13+13+13)
SF: Evan Turner (4, 4.5, 5) [5.5 QUAL]
PF: Troy Murphy (11.25)
F: Carlos Delfino (0.25)
C: Chris Andersen (2.3)
C: Marcus Camby (5.25, 5.75)
UTIL: Taj Gibson (0.35)
BEN: DeMar DeRozan (5+4.45)
BEN: Francisco Garcia (2.35)
BEN: Hakim Warrick (0.25)
BEN: Nazr Mohammed (0.25)
BEN: Jamario Moon (0.55)

Waived: Trevor Booker (0.5)
Xavier Henry (1, 1.5)
Timofey Mozgoc (0.25)
Hasheem Thabeet (1)
Ersan Ilyasova (0.25)

Retired: Rasheed Wallace (2.61)

Total Salary used:70.04M
Total Salary remaining: 0M

cap committed for year 2: 38.7M
cap committed for year 3: 23.0M

Draft trades:
Right to Swap 2011 2nd Round pick with KalElen
Right to Swap 2012 2nd Round pick with KalElen
Right to Swap 2013 2nd Round pick with SilentJim

Made my job easier for calculating and showing my team using google docs:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CM7T_4IJ
Last edited by scully19 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:10 am, edited 26 times in total.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Re: Roster/Salary Info 2010/11

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:44 pm

RED ROVER

PG: Leandro Barbosa - 1 yr - 4.75 M
SG: Jason Richardson - 2 yr (8 M + 8.5 M)
G: OJ Mayo - 2yr - (5 M + 5 M)
SF: Andrei Kirilenko - 1 yr - 1.6M
PF: Michael Beasley - 1 yr - 4.6 M
F: Danilo Gallinari - 1 yr - 1.7 M
C: Brook Lopez - 3 yr - (15 M + 15 M + 15 M)
C: Marc Gasol - 1 yr - 1.4 M
UTIL: Jrue Holiday - 3 yr - (4.75 M + 5 M + 5.25 M)
BEN: Luis Scola - 2yr - (6 M + 5.5 M)
BEN: Thaddeus Young - 1 yr - 3.1 M
BEN: George Hill - 1 yr - .3 M
IL: Andrew Bynum - 3 yr - (13.5 M + 13.5 M + 13.75 M)
IL: Larry Sanders - 3 yr - (2 M + 2.5 M + 3 M + opt 3.5 M)

Waived players: K Azubuike (1 + 1), DJ Augustin (1.45 + 1.55) and Landry Fields (rookie contract .5M) so YR1 = 1.6M + YR2 = 1.65 M

Cap Remaining: 0 - used up 4.75 of MLE
cap committed for this year: 73.3 M
cap committed for next year: 56.15 M
cap committed for year after next: 37 M
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Questions from a newbee

Postby dasein » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Been reading the rules and there are a few things that aren't clear (with more to come no doubt).

1. What are the mechanics of FA bidding?
2. I don't understand the purpose of the mle for this game. It sounds like it's just a cap hold without benefit. Why wouldn't I just automatically relinquish it as soon as I get it every year? I mean, if I'm 10m under the cap, isn't having 10m better than having 6m + 4m packets? BTW, the same question holds for the IPE, for the same reason.
3. I don't understand what makes a player a free agent. The rules say that every manager nominates 2 players, but surely a FA is simply a player whose contract has expired? Does this just mean that bidding takes place for lots of 24 players? I guess this ties in with Q.1
4. In the points system for deciding who gets free agents, do the factors listed apply sequentially as tie breakers, or are they all added up at once?

dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Re: Questions from a newbee

Postby So-Tex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 am

dasein wrote:Been reading the rules and there are a few things that aren't clear (with more to come no doubt).

2. I don't understand the purpose of the mle for this game. It sounds like it's just a cap hold without benefit. Why wouldn't I just automatically relinquish it as soon as I get it every year? I mean, if I'm 10m under the cap, isn't having 10m better than having 6m + 4m packets? BTW, the same question holds for the IPE, for the same reason.
3. I don't understand what makes a player a free agent. The rules say that every manager nominates 2 players, but surely a FA is simply a player whose contract has expired? Does this just mean that bidding takes place for lots of 24 players? I guess this ties in with Q.1
4. In the points system for deciding who gets free agents, do the factors listed apply sequentially as tie breakers, or are they all added up at once?

I wouldn't mind the clarification on these points as well.

And after that, I'd like to ask another question which may tie in to which team I decide to pick (coming up soon I think - waiting on dch).

I understand basically how the whole idea of waiving a player works, and that his salary will count in % increments through the length of the contract (75% 1st year, 50% every year after). My question is, if I decide to take on a "fire sale" of a team in order to blow it up and rebuild (within the league's rules and parameters, or course), do I have the option to "re-negotiate" contracts with some players?

For example, say I have a player on my roster making 15M this year, 14M next, and 13M in year 3. But in my opinion, the manager who originally contracted that player over paid by 7M per year. In other words, I feel the player is only worth 8M, 7M, and 6M for the contract. I know I could simply drop the player, putting him on waivers, cut my losses and take the hit on my cap (his salary will count against me for each of those years [75/50/50 %]). But what if I want to keep the player - just not for what he was originally signed for? NBA teams do it all the time in order to free up cap space (a great example is David Robinson in his twilight years, or even Richard Jefferson this past off-season). Are there any provisions which would allow me to re-adjust contracts to free up cap space for rebuilding?

Even if I had to allow other managers a vote on the salary, or be forced to allow them to bid on the player at the new salary range (which NBA teams don't do when re-negotiating contracts to the best of my knowledge), it would be better than having big time dollars locked up in some other manager's mistake or shortsightedness (at least, what is a mistake from my viewpoint).
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Questions from a newbee

Postby KalElen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

every gm can nominate no more then one of his own fas (bird rights fas that is) at a time
every gm can nominate no more then one other fa at a time
every gm can nominate no more then two total fas at a time
every gm can have up to 2 own fas in the pool at a time
this means that if fernis nominates one of my fas, nobody else, except me, can nominate another one until the one fernis nominated is claimed. this means there can be up to 32 fas in the pool at a time, which is not great, but it's the best solution we have at this moment
keep in mind that there will be many players who aren't anybody's bird free agents so nominating somebody's bird free agnet prevents you from nominating non-bird free agent and vice-versa

you are forgetting teams over the cap. they can't bid anything but the min without mle. we wanted to have a unique way of handling mle for all teams. teams with more then mle just need to leave one post and wave their mles - little trouble, solid benefit for record keeping. this also means that teams under the cap, by less then value of mle get to use full mle in stead of just remaining cap space. that's better solutuin then nba's

every player whose contract has expired or waived is an fa, but during free agency bidding only 32 (i originally posted number 24 in off-season discussion thread, but that was an error) players can be in the bidding pool at the time, due to restrictions mentioned in 1st question

players are looking at 3 things at the same time: to resign with current team, to play on a best team possible, to get as much play time as possible. this means that points from all 3 factors are added up and highest total wins. in case of a tie:
1) resigning team gets the player. if neither team is his old team
2) team with better regular season record wins. in case of same record
3) team with more pt points wins. in case of same pt situation for all positions player is eligible to play, we'll use an on-line randomization thread

So-Tex, this is in the rules and should answer your question:
-after player is waived he will automatically be placed on fa list, but the team that dropped him won't be allowed to bid on him or sign him to a one week contract for the rest of the season

this means that there is no renegotiating or waiving and signing to a lesser contract to save money. waive a player and you can only get him on your roster again by trading for him, until the season is over
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby KalElen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:28 pm

cap holds are not listed, i'll add them later today or tomorrow. i completely forgot about us adding them into the rules. also i will modify the rule a little bit, so that only bird fas have cap holds. no point in giving non-bird fas cap holds, because they will all be waived anyway
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Re: team draft

Postby So-Tex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm still waiting on dch17, am I not?
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap