1. What are the mechanics of FA bidding?
every gm can nominate no more then one of his own fas (bird rights fas that is) at a time
every gm can nominate no more then one other fa at a time
every gm can nominate no more then two total fas at a time
every gm can have up to 2 own fas in the pool at a time
this means that if fernis nominates one of my fas, nobody else, except me, can nominate another one until the one fernis nominated is claimed. this means there can be up to 32 fas in the pool at a time, which is not great, but it's the best solution we have at this moment
keep in mind that there will be many players who aren't anybody's bird free agents so nominating somebody's bird free agnet prevents you from nominating non-bird free agent and vice-versa
2. I don't understand the purpose of the mle for this game. It sounds like it's just a cap hold without benefit. Why wouldn't I just automatically relinquish it as soon as I get it every year? I mean, if I'm 10m under the cap, isn't having 10m better than having 6m + 4m packets? BTW, the same question holds for the IPE, for the same reason.
you are forgetting teams over the cap. they can't bid anything but the min without mle. we wanted to have a unique way of handling mle for all teams. teams with more then mle just need to leave one post and wave their mles - little trouble, solid benefit for record keeping. this also means that teams under the cap, by less then value of mle get to use full mle in stead of just remaining cap space. that's better solutuin then nba's
3. I don't understand what makes a player a free agent. The rules say that every manager nominates 2 players, but surely a FA is simply a player whose contract has expired? Does this just mean that bidding takes place for lots of 24 players? I guess this ties in with Q.1
every player whose contract has expired or waived is an fa, but during free agency bidding only 32 (i originally posted number 24 in off-season discussion thread, but that was an error) players can be in the bidding pool at the time, due to restrictions mentioned in 1st question
4. In the points system for deciding who gets free agents, do the factors listed apply sequentially as tie breakers, or are they all added up at once?
players are looking at 3 things at the same time: to resign with current team, to play on a best team possible, to get as much play time as possible. this means that points from all 3 factors are added up and highest total wins. in case of a tie:
1) resigning team gets the player. if neither team is his old team
2) team with better regular season record wins. in case of same record
3) team with more pt points wins. in case of same pt situation for all positions player is eligible to play, we'll use an on-line randomization thread
So-Tex, this is in the rules and should answer your question:
-after player is waived he will automatically be placed on fa list, but the team that dropped him won't be allowed to bid on him or sign him to a one week contract for the rest of the season
this means that there is no renegotiating or waiving and signing to a lesser contract to save money. waive a player and you can only get him on your roster again by trading for him, until the season is over