2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Rules Discussion Thread

Postby silentjim » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:50 pm

ardilla wrote:That was what I was trying to avoid. Not fair at all to allow the last person to bid to have the player without giving a certain amount of time after that bid for others to match.

After re-reading Kal's thread, I think he wanted a 24 hour no activity or bids to end the auction not a flat 24 hours.

Don't football and baseball just have each manager throw out a player's name and then start the bidding that way? 5 players seems like too few. What If I'm not interested in those 5? I like the idea of each manager starting up a thread for a player (whether they want him or not) and when 24 hours has passed for that player without a bid being placed, that bidding ends, and that manager then tosses out another player. Meaning no more than 12 players can be bid on at a time.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 565)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ardilla » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Would be 16 in this league, but both options sound fine. The nice thing about Jim's option is that it would be guaranteed that someone has interest in each guy brought up for auction. I understand about the chaos issue though. As long as we have a plan and get it going soon.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby KalElen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:05 pm

silentjim wrote:
ardilla wrote:That was what I was trying to avoid. Not fair at all to allow the last person to bid to have the player without giving a certain amount of time after that bid for others to match.

After re-reading Kal's thread, I think he wanted a 24 hour no activity or bids to end the auction not a flat 24 hours.

this is correct

silentjim wrote:Don't football and baseball just have each manager throw out a player's name and then start the bidding that way? 5 players seems like too few. What If I'm not interested in those 5? I like the idea of each manager starting up a thread for a player (whether they want him or not) and when 24 hours has passed for that player without a bid being placed, that bidding ends, and that manager then tosses out another player. Meaning no more than 12 players can be bid on at a time.

i don't like that option, because 16 players at one point really is too much. what if you're interested in 10 of those 16? you can't bid on all of them. if you tie up 40M in 2 bids you have only 25M to bid on the rest until one of your 2 big offers gets outbid by somebody else. if you are not interested in any of the players in the pool, you wait or try to drive up the price for some of them. also if there is predetermined order of players coming into the pool, you have pretty good idea of who to expect at every moment. if there is a bunch of threads being opened by everyone without any order it is much easier to miss out on players
that is my opinion, but as always it's open for discussion. we need to find a solution that is efficient and convenient for everyone
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ardilla » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Good points. The 5 man auction, 24 hours after last bid closing, a new guy brought in according to some ranking list, sounds good to me. We need to get those last votes and sign-ins.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ardilla » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:53 pm

As far as the disabled player exception, everywhere I read says that if a player is injured for the rest of the season and your team is over the cap you can use an exception of 50% that player's salary or average NBA salary, whichever is less, to replace that player. There is no mention of 123 games. If the injury occurs between July 1 and November 30 you can use the exception that same season, if it occurs after November 30th the exception would be for the next season. You have 45 days to sign the new player and use your exception during the case of the early injury, if it is injured after November 30th you have until October 1st of the following year to use the exception. An NBA doctor has to approve, saying that the injury will keep the player disabled for the rest of the season (our commish could make that judgment).
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby greyone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 pm

I participated in a defunct football cafe auction league. IIRC we had at least 10 guys on the board. Fast paced. I think 5 will be to few. But we can try it out and work around it later.

Winning bidder posted next nomination after his 24 hours officially passed. The system worked fine. The time stamps were official. And we monitored post edits.

Main problem we had was the longevity of the auction.

There should also be penalties for owners overspending their cap.
greyone
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Official Vote Thread

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 am

1) a
2) a
3) c
4) b
5) b
6) c
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 am

I'm good with whatever but I'll also just chime in and say that I think 5 is too few. Sounds like the draft would take a decade. I understand your argument that a manager may be interested in a bunch of them - but won't that be the case (especially the first few times) when all the players are very good. We'll all be jumping at any deal that seems good and/or be open to more ideas as our teams don't have a focus yet.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 603)

Postby KalElen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 am

if we have fewer players, people will more aggressively pursue guys they want, while with more players it becomes more of a waiting game to see who will overspend elsewhere enabling you to get your targets cheaper. how about we start with 8 players and see how that goes? we can increase the number if we decide it is too slow...

our disabled player exception isn't the same as nba's:
Code: Select all
-if a player plays in 40 games or less over 2 full seasons his team will be allowed to waive him for medical reasons and recover all remaining cap space owed to that player. if it is over the cap even after injured player comes off books, team also receives injured player exception (ipe) worth 60% of the waived player's salary. ipe can be used, full or in part, to sign no more then one player. this can be done as soon as it becomes clear that player will miss required number of games.
for instance if player misses entire season and then misses first 42 of his team's games during next season

though our looks more like medical retirement rule then disabled player exception. maybe we could add something similar to what ardilla suggested (no average salary, just 50% of disabled player's salary to make things simpler)

There should also be penalties for owners overspending their cap.

if you want to bid 60M on a player nothing is stopping you, but cap limitations and contract length limitations are there to convince you not to do it
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ardilla » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Thanks for the explanation on disabled player exception. An exception for injured for rest of season might be good but we can always make changes later if there is a need.

8 players sounds like a good compromise. We are waiting on 3 votes?
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap