2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Uhhhh guys...sorry but it's me again...

Postby So-Tex » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:34 am

dasein wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote: And honestly, I dont want an email from Kal for key updates or my PM box here would be full. Best to post all updates in one central location (this message board) and place the onus on the owners to check it.

I disagree with this. With all the chatter that goes on in the various threads, its pretty easy to miss something. If there is an important change that everyone needs to know about, then PM is the surest way to make sure that nobody misses it. No big deal if your PM box gets full- just empty it right. ;-D

This is exactly how I feel Rockets. Like I said, I don't want to be coddled, or walked through the entire process like some noob from the Yahoo! forums ("BIG TRADE - WHAT DO I DO??? WHIR!!!"). And I agree with you in that I don't want, or need, an email notification on every single piddly move or activity that goes on with the league - our in-boxes would be swamped all the time. But again, site down time is a serious issue, especially when it comes to auction bidding on players.

And like I mentioned in the other post - if it's that important that I get an email (and a very respectful one at that, not knocking Kal in any way here) saying NOT to post in certain threads because they are set up only for the Moderators of the league, OK, I get that. So shouldn't the entire league be afforded the same courtesy if at least half a dozen of us are involved in at least half a dozen auctions where the site went down for 6 hours?

A very good example of what I'm talking about is how Red (Redhopeful) is handling the commish duties over in the FBC Octagon First Division H2H league - Kal's in that league as well, with me, and I believe a couple of others from here. Red didn't send us PM's every time he adjusted the league settings, including (I think) the time I posted that one of them was not how it should have been. But he did send us a PM when the league went live on Yahoo. And he did send us a PM once all the rosters were locked and loaded after the draft. Those are key events which happened in the league. Wouldn't you agree that adding time to auctions (which could drastically affect the outcomes) here in this league is just as important to warrant a PM?

Guys, this isn't like me saying "Damn, I didn't know Frye was up for auction?!?! I should have gotten a PM!" NO! Emphatically, NO! That is MY responsibility to be active enough and know that these guys are out there on the auction block. And, It's not about me NOT checking in or staying on top of things either. It's simply about letting the league know "The site had some down time, and we need to compensate X amount of hours for it". In that case, A PM would absolutely have gotten to me, alerting me to that (unless I really WAS as stupid or lazy as scully seems to think I am, and didn't have my email alerts set correctly! ;-7 ).

In fact, it looks like the site went through a little down time as I was writing this. Now, at this point, it might be kind of spiteful to go out and send a PM cause "So-Tex is whining about not being notified the site was down". Yeah, OK, I get that also, and would rightfully deserve it. But going forward, it might be a good idea to keep people informed if these things happen - "The site went down", "The server blew up", "California fell into the Pacific" - OK, that last one was a bit extreme, but you see where I'm going with that, right?

Fact is, I don't just look at things from a "what happened" point of view. I look at things from a "what could happen" point of view as well. It's not just part of my nature analyzing basketball to do that, either. It's what I do for a living - figuring out the logistics of how something works (especially if it's web or computer related). And I admire and respect Kal for his hard work, as he seems to have a firm grasp on how this league works regarding the general rules, contracts, salaries, and the rookie draft. I just feel that the whole Free Agency process - not the number crunching, but the actual process of acquiring a FA, has been neglected to some degree - not entirely, but enough that I can see the "Chinese" in "Chinese Fire Drill" starting to come out.

And don't think this is all rant, rant, rant, all talk and no "Do". Like I said, I'm looking into an auction script - a software, which is available free of charge, to hold your own auctions on your own site. And I am talking about eBay style auctions, not the type you see in auction drafts like Yahoo now has. A player would get nominated, be put up for auction using the software, and managers would bid on him using the denominations we use in this league. Now, thinking logistically, the first concern would be price, not just of the software (free is good), but where online to host it. But that's not something to think about at this stage in the game. The most important thing is to make sure it works - to see if it would make what we want to do with FA bidding not only easier, but more competitive, more engaging, and definitely more fun and less stressful (especially for Kal!). Like I told one of the other managers, it may take some time, but I'm going to try and see if I can make it work for us here. It still may not be the perfect solution for everyone when all is said and done (even Kal said he's not been a fan of fixed time auctions and such). But if it does work, it's only going to make the experience in this league better for ALL managers. And that's what we're all looking for, right?

hi chi wrote:I would say I would rather not get a PM. I would assume we are all checking ALL threads carefully and if we miss something then that is our fault. During busy times of the year (personal and for the league) it may occur that we miss some things that have been posted, but surely that is OUR responsibility to keep up with that. Kal already does a ton of work to keep this league running smoothly and to expect any more than he already is doing seems a little selfish on our parts.

But that's not what I'm getting at here - it's not about saying Kal should do this on top of everything else he does. We're talking about circumstances which we, INCLUDING KAL, have no control over - YET, they DIRECTLY AFFECT the outcome of our league. Otherwise, I'd be the proud owner of Tiago Splitter right now. Again, I'm not knocking Kal personally - but we need to be given the "head's up" when these things happen. Not when Kal updates the salary spreadsheet, or when the 3 players I wanted to bid on all got signed before I could even bid because I was too lazy to check all the threads, no.

Again, I don't want daily PM's for league news and stuff like that - 6 hours get added to the next auction/player I nominate, especially when it's less than an hour or so from the time limit expiring, I want a PM! Hell, something like a personal email sent to the whole league? Now THAT would be making it difficult for Kal to do all he does AND have to do that as well - waaaaaaay above and beyond the call of duty as far as I'm concerned. No, a simple PM would suffice. Cause if I'm not checking those, then I am screwed - as I should be.

Rockets, hi-chi, no worries guys - no disrespect is felt by me from any of your comments, and I do hear them. But like I said, I'm not asking for updates on every move made in the league, or "These players are on the auction block now" or anything like that. That's MY work to do as an active manager, not someone else's. But a league wide PM regarding certain issues - like site down time - or, say for example, when Free Agent nominations and bidding started (props to DVauthrin for that PM ;-) ) - would be nice.

So again, Rockets, I've got no beef with you - it's all good! ;-D

Scully on the other hand is digging his grave pretty quick in my cemetery - better not speak too soon buddy, cause I just might come back and bury ya! }:-)

Gives me something to look forward to at least... :-B :-b B-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 213)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Uhhhh guys...sorry but it's me again...

Postby KalElen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:47 am

guys, any discussion about regularly getting pm's from me is is purely academical as it has no chance of happening whatsoever. not because i don't want to do it, but because i don't have the time. i'm working 12-14h per day and will continue to do so over next week, and possibly longer. every second i burn here is a precious second i could have spent doing some work. still because i work on my comp, i keep checking in very often in case an issue comes up, but i can't devote as much time to this league as i'd like to. i'm grateful to everyone who is helping out (especially scully managing salary info, but also everyone else who has helped in any way over the last few weeks) and to the rest of guys for their understanding. running this league requires solid time commitment that i'm not in position to make at this time, but i'm doing my best, in part because nobody else wants the job
So-Tex, i'm sorry if you feel you got slapped on the wrist at any point, i try to keep things positive at all times (i probably didn't try hard enough last year btw) and i definitely didn't mean to come off harsh in any of our communication either here or through pm. there are many little things that might have slipped through the cracks and that new gm's might not be aware of, like editing posts, or what happens in case of forum being down, but we went through all those things last year and i just don't have the time to sit and try to think up of every scenario that might come up out of the blue. when issues comes up, i try to react asap, keep it fair to everyone and be as nice as possible
that's the best i can offer you as a commish...
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Markos-J.R. Smith

Postby Markos » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:48 pm

1, 1
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)

Re: JJ Hickson

Postby dch17 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:02 pm

4.25m (4.05 + 4.45)
dch17
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Re: dch17 - Channing Frye

Postby dch17 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:13 pm

4m (3.85, 4.15)
dch17
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Re: dch17 - Channing Frye

Postby barrec » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm

4.25M (4.46M+4.04M)
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Re: Kendrick Perkins

Postby scully19 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Winner.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Re: Manu Ginobili (Fenris-77)

Postby scully19 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Winner.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Trades 2010/2011

Postby scully19 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:36 pm

Scully19 and DVauthrin trade

Scully19 trades:
Rudy Fernandez

DVauthrin trades:
Right to swap 2011 2nd round pick
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Trades 2010/2011

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 pm

I confirm this deal.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap