2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Unfair and Unrealistic Having No INj Reserve

Postby KalElen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:45 pm

coffeeman wrote:Granted Having 5 Good Players Hurt For An Extended Time At Once Is Unusual:

Baron Davis
Aaron Brooks
Andre Iguodala
David Lee
Jeff Green

But Having to play 5 Players Short is a Big Handicap. Last Year Having Only 1 IR Spost wasn't always enough. But this? Yeah we expanded to 14 man rosters. But I am having to play 9 against 14 and there is nothing I can do about it. This is NOT realistic. I ought to be able to put guys on IR and pick up some marginal guys on 7 day contracts. Its not like I can release any of these guys. This is supposed to reasonably mirror a Salary Cap NBA- granted with signif. limitations. I am playing with 64% of my roster everyday. I should get some fillins who granted would not be the caliber of the guys hurt. That is only fair since injuries happen. This is not fair.

I have been playing 5 guys down for quite awhile now.

i'm inclined to agree with you that in a league like this, where you can't just drop a player under contract and pick him up at a later time, il is a good thing to have. i voted in favor of expanding to 14 roster spots and removing the il, so i can't complain much though. i would change my vote if the voting was redone, but i can't force a rule change on anybody. i understand that you were hit hard, but others have built teams 14 deep and i can't force them to deactivate players and change their strategy in the middle of the season. if we get 100% support for the rule change, i'll implement it, but if even one gm objects to it, we'll have to finish the season this way and vote on bringing back the il during the next off-season
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby barrec » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:39 pm

If I recall, isn't there an NBA rule that allows teams to pick up players in a special situation given injuries? Didn't the Blazers and Clippers do that at some point last season?

I would have no problem allowing a team decimated by injury pick up a player on min. salary or a 7-day contract to field a team. I apologize for only vaguely referring to the NBA rule above, but if there is a rule like that requiring special permission from the league, maybe we could set up something for our league that would allow for a special pick-up.

The tough part I imagine would be Yahoo's roster management tools, and if we would want/need to change it to allow for this to happen. In the present settings, we might have to use the waiver wire as a temporary IR list for a team making an emergency pick up. Would that be too complicated to manage?
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm

I don't know man, I'd really have to think about it.

Forgive me if this is acting juvenile, but it's hard for me to feel sorry for you when you're sitting in 2nd place, and have won all four of your matchups to date - by at least 6-3 margins no less.

I'm cellar dwelling at the moment - and I have to deal with zero stats from various DNP-CDs and Yao Ming. Honestly, the IR wouldn't do me any favors.

The only thing I'm trying to do is make this team better, and build for next year.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 179)

Postby dasein » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 pm

I was one of the few that voted for the IL (listing players in smack), so I got no problem with the change.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 369)

Postby KalElen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:45 pm

So-Tex wrote:I don't know man, I'd really have to think about it.

Forgive me if this is acting juvenile, but it's hard for me to feel sorry for you when you're sitting in 2nd place, and have won all four of your matchups to date - by at least 6-3 margins no less.

I'm cellar dwelling at the moment - and I have to deal with zero stats from various DNP-CDs and Yao Ming. Honestly, the IR wouldn't do me any favors.

The only thing I'm trying to do is make this team better, and build for next year.

we had inactive list, not injured list, so you could place any player on it. only effect of bringing back il, would be having 12 active players in stead of 14. teams that are hurt by this are those with 14 usable players. those with players picking up dnp-cd would benefit by reducing number of active players on their opponents rosters, since their dnp-cd players are pretty much inactive anyway.
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby silentjim » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 pm

So-Tex wrote:I don't know man, I'd really have to think about it.

I'm in agreement here with So Tex? If having five players hurt is such a big handicap, then why are you still winning? Kind of joking, but kind of being serious.

Also, NBA teams can only have 12 men dressed per game, while we have the flexibility of 14, with technically only 9 players a night getting a chance to play because of our starters structure.

As Kal has said we voted on this and no one brought up a huge stink. The only reason it's being brought up now is because its directly affecting you (which based on your standing can be argued).

I don't really have an answer other than I would vent about it, and that maybe we can re-examine this real next off season. I'm not for changing rules mid season for sure.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 pm

And that's exactly my point - we could debate how the rule would benefit any squad any which way. The bottom line is changing the rule still doesn't make up for the fact that Coffeeman, the 2nd place team, is the one complaining about it.

I know for a fact that there have been NBA teams at times, who were forced to run with only 10, 9, or even just 8 players due to injuries. And that's TOTAL, not just in a rotation. It isn't always the best scenario, but you have to do what you have to do to run a team out on the floor. And having 14 guys certainly didn't help ME beat Coffeeman in Week 2, so I'm not buying that argument either. Just look at the final results if you don't believe me.

This league is so deep, and structured in such a way that players don't just "float" around on the wire, that it makes it a challenge to go out and find guys who will help you compete right now. If five of your best players are out with injuries, then you have two choices: 1. Move them in trades - you may not get back what you want talent-wise, but at least you'll have healthy bodies to throw out there on any given night. Or 2. You'll just have to sit and wait, and take a loss here or there, knowing that you'll be good once the playoffs come around.

And the way I see it, if you settle for option 2 AND you're winning...why hell, that's just gravy! }:-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 179)

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Put me in the camp that would only revisit rule changes in the offseason. This is coming from someone currently down two players in Murphy and Delfino, and has had other players nicked up this month. We all agreed to this rule prior to the season, and people built teams with the understanding they could have 14 players rostered at any time.

Just be thankful you continue to win without those guys. Others wouldn't be as fortunate.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby snakehuynh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:32 am

Sorry I don't feel sorry for ya, my team is also injury prone, I lost last years championship because of the same reason. Rules are already set, we could change and vote on it next season.

P.S. I'm getting killed in 2 other leagues with injuries, and I'm not in the top of the standings with the injuries. You just have to wait out your injuries, and they are not season ending so I don't see it as a biggie.
snakehuynh
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 46)

Postby TheRobSays » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 am

Agreed. I say we vote on this in the offseason. The only exception in my opinion would be if a guy goes down for the season and is signed to a long term deal then you should have the right to shelve him for the rest of the season without losing him on the waiver wire. But I dont like changing rules into a season so I am not suggesting this.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 70)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap