Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Unfair and Unrealistic Having No INj Reserve

Postby barrec » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
silentjim wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:I don't really do in-season changes. :-t I didn't like the IL anyway, mostly because the mechanic was flawed and it was a huge pain in the ass. This league isn't really any different than any other keeper league anyway as far as injuries go anyway. Sure you have longer termn salries to worry about, but that only really matters with the better players, who you'd be keeping rostered even in a non-salary keeper format. In coffeeman's case, since he wouldn't have dropped any of his injured guys in any other keeper format, I have very little sympathy (sorry dude). I don't think the IL would have fixed anything there at all, so there's not really anything to complain about IMO.

Great point. Dynasty league managers could complain about massive injuries as well, but I don't think others would be inclined to change the rules for them.

While a good point, I still can see coffeeman's viewpoint and we shouldn't dwell on the strength of his team. If we are looking to play in a league that attempts to mimic the real NBA as much as possible, an injury laden team would get special exemptions for signing a player or two much like what the Golden State Warriors did last season. As I said, I'm all for amending the rules come season's end. A savy manager shouldn't be penalized of having the misfortune of having say half his team (or something like that) get injured at the same time. A real NBA team wouldn't have to trade away injured players to simply have able-bodied players available so neither should we.

This is my sentiment as well. However I remember a proposed rule change at some point this past off season that Kal responded by saying that making the league as similar to the NBA as possible is secondary to making a fun league in and of itself. I also agree with that. And after reading through comments, I am likely to compromise and visit this rule change in the off season rather than make changes now. I think it definitely needs to be looked at.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Joel Przybilla

Postby KalElen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:13 pm

my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby KalElen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:24 pm

barrec wrote:However I remember a proposed rule change at some point this past off season that Kal responded by saying that making the league as similar to the NBA as possible is secondary to making a fun league in and of itself. I also agree with that. And after reading through comments, I am likely to compromise and visit this rule change in the off season rather than make changes now. I think it definitely needs to be looked at.

this is kind of a no-brainer for me. no point in mimicking nba to a point where we lose interest in playing the league. initial idea was to mimic nba as much as possible, based on the assumption that fbb players are couch gm's who'd enjoy playing the role of actual nba gm and this would be the closest we could get to that. however, after we put in the work to create a league as complex as this one, we should (and we did) try to make it fun to play above all. i think it's pretty obvious that some form of il is needed, but the main question is whether we do it now or in the off-season. as i said i won't force the rule change during the season without unanimous vote and we don't have that, so we will postpone the decision for a while. in the mean time discussion is more then welcome. how do we implement it (smack talk, or fa route or maybe there is a 3rd solution)? how many spots? do we add some kind of emergency provision allowing teams to go over 14 in situation that coffieman finds himself now?
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Ben Wallace

Postby scully19 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Don't forget second in the playoffs. :D
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 203)

Postby So-Tex » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:43 pm

So I get ZERO points for being in 15th place? 8-o

:-P :-t :-C
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Postby KalElen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:45 pm

scully19 wrote:Don't forget second in the playoffs. :D

that's for season before last, meaning year -1 in this case

So-Tex wrote:So I get ZERO points for being in 15th place? 8-o

:-P :-t :-C

those are the rules. this is not draft, success matters here
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scully19 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Ah yes, getting 2nd receives 0 points, while 1st gets 5 and 3rd gets 1. Clearly this is a amendment situation.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 203)

Salary Updates

Postby TheRobSays » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:16 pm

These need to be up to date, it is hard to make trades and bid against guys when you cant see how much room they have - commish?
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 75)

Postby So-Tex » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:19 pm

KalElen wrote:those are the rules. this is not draft, success matters here

So if THAT'S the case, then for next season, I vote a REBOOT! Give me a chance to build a team - within the rules - and see if I can't be "successful" enough! }:-)

See my post in the discussion thread regarding my other rants - including other manager's "SUCCESS"!
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:36 pm

I'll just point out here that its not all coffeman either. I had what would seem to be a winnable matchup last week with hi chi, and got smashed, in large part because I had 6 guys who weren't playing.
I had:

Out with injury: Wall, Butler, Okur, Yi
Arguably indefensible DNP-CDs: Randolph, Thornton

Its driving me crazy that Randolph and Thornton are not getting PT despite all the talent they have. Who would have picked this for either of them at the start of the season? The 2 biggest fantasy busts and I have to have both on substantial 3 year contracts..argh
Just gotta hope their talent will win out in the end..somewhere. :-[
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap