2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby silentjim » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:06 pm

I'll also add that I think what makes the most sense for the blind waivers, is that we either create a user here at the cafe that we can PM bids to or an e-mail address that we can e-mail bids to. This user or e-mail can have the password shared between let's say three managers who will not open the e-mails until the designated time.

Realistically bids should be due at Saturday at midnight, which would allow the bids to be viewed, posted, and made for Sunday to take affect on Monday. Does that make sense?
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:I say we just do it. Right now, it's pretty much you, me, Red and scully manning the ship, so we might as well get some housekeeping done while we have the helm.

So...

1. Rookie contracts and restricted free agents exert a cap hold, but bids under whichever auction system the league chooses to adopt do not.

2. Mangers are responsible for pulling themselves out of player auctions where they no longer have the cap space to participate. In the case of a winning bid than cannot legally be offered due to multiple bids, there will be a financial penalty to the offending GM, with the penalty to be determined later.

Those in favour?

I was also curious if anyone had any thoughts on how to (vastly) simplify the tie break system. I was thinking of a very simple points system, with playoff teams getting +1, teams with no quality player at the FA's position at +2, and maybe one or two other things. Honestly, I want a system in place that harldy ever needs the tie break system anyway (which is why I favour blind bidding). Maybe this needs a seperate thread...

If you guys need some help running the league, i'll fill in where needed. I like both of those ideas. As for the tiebreaker, I suggest two options for the offseason free agent process:

1) no tiebreaker. If an owner can't outbid the previous bid, they can't win the player. Doesn't matter if they can match said bid. Yes, I know it doesn't match the NBA, but we don't have the ability to get inside every players brains to figure out what drives their decision making process.

2) last seasons standings(counting the playoffs) being the primary tiebreaker. Three owners have the same bid, and they finished 4th, 5th and 6th in the standings. The team that finished 4th gets the player. winning has it's perks. If you have a tiebreak after that, go to total points won in matchups between the two teams. If that still leads to a tie, then run a draft lottery simulator between the two teams, and the team that wins it, gets said player. you can make sure an email is sent out when running the simulator as well.

Now as far as the in season bid tiebreaker:

1) Current standings(again the better team gets the player). Sorry, but just like real life, if your team sucks, you have to offer more money than good teams to convince them to play with you.

2)current season BBM ranking of the best player at that players position on each team using our categories. The team that has the weaker player at that position, gets the player, as the player would see a better chance to play.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lets roll with weekly lineups

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Personally, i'm fine with whatever the group decides on this issue.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 pm

\I don't like standings by themselves as the only tie break. I don't think the actual impact of a team finishing 4th versus 5th in the regular season is anywhere close to as big in real life as it would be if it broke all ties. I think a combo of winning and available PT is probably the way to go.

Maybe we could tier the 'winning' thing. Championship finalists get +2, playoff teams get +1, everyone else gets bupkus.

We could combine that with weaker BBM player granting +1 as well, or maybe +2. Perhaps +2 for PG, SG, SF, PF, C and +1 for G, F, UTL? That info would have to be part of the bid, since I'm sure no one feels like having to do the research to check each bid. All we really need is enough plusses to mostly prevent yet more ties. I think we'd need to add a couple more for that to be the case though, which ups the comlication factor, which a lot of guys won't like. Hmmm ...

Really, if guys start using more individual numbers for the bids we won't need this hardly at all aside from min bids. Adding an extra buck, or 50 bucks or whatever, to a contract to 'break a tie' with guys who bid the same millions or hundred thousands is just good sense. (So a big of 700,050 beats one for 700,000 is what I'm saying).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby silentjim » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't like the idea of bidding $50. I think the minimum increment needs to be $100,000 or people are going to get annoyed when people when by 2 or 3 dollars.

I don't like standings as sole tie break either. I think adding the positional need allows teams that are struggling to try to rebuild somewhat as well. Otherwise the teams at the top will always dominate. And I think everyone wants a chance to win. Not to mention this is only in the chance of a tie.

Plus don't forget last season average contract length and first season contract are two different things.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 pm

The min increment needs to be something more like 50K at the highest is we're going to be offering contracts under a million bucks. We could say increments of 25K for under a million and increments of 100K over a million. Something like what we have now I guess, but with less annoying increments.

The overbet by a buck was more in the way of a joke..... ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 pm

If you are going to weight winning and playing time with points, my suggestion would be to weight one of the categories differently and create significant gaps in points between the tiers. It's too easy to tie when you use lower numbers for points.

For example, you could use a combination of winning, best player at position ranking, and number of players at said position as the three tiebreaker categories. Here's a quickly done point structure for each tier I created.

Champion: 20 points
Runner Up: 10 points
3rd/4th place teams: 5 points
5th/8th-1 point each

best Player ranked outside of the top 100 on BBM: 20 points
best Player ranked 75-100 on BBM: 16 points
best Player ranked 50-75 on BBM: 12 points
best Player ranked 25-49 on BBM: 8 points
best Player ranked 1-24 on BBM: 4 points

Number of players at position(0): 10 points
Number of players at position(1): 5 points
Number of players at position(2): 1 point
Number of players at position(3 or more): no points
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:02 pm

We'll need to figure out a cast iron system to account for positional eligibilty IMO. Guys with two and three eligibilities could make this insanely complicated to double check unless there's some kind of system in place.

As a concept I like the points system above and I think we could run with it, naturally with some tweaks based on league input. The basic idea looks fine to me though.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby silentjim » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Again we're talking about ties in a blind waiver system, which I don't think will be that likely. I'd like to keep it semi-uncomplicated and I feel like its moving back toward the too involved process.

I'm all for rewarding the champ of the league, but I don't the point structure as set forward above by DVauthrin is realistic.The champion has way too much leeway and single points when there a minimum of 4 between the other two tiers doesn't make any sense since it won't make a difference.
silentjim

Re: Lets roll with weekly lineups

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm fine with anything too but if I had to get off the fence, I wouldn't mind giving the weekly format a shot. Although I'm like Fenris who enjoys checking updates + managing daily, I don't feel it'd take that much out of the game. However, my biggest concern would be that it'd greatly increase the liklihood of ties for FA bids - consequently it'd be that much more important we establish the fairest tie breaker system possible. For instance, it wouldn't be the best solution if the tiebreaker was weighted in favor of how a certain team finished last season.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap