2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Lets roll with weekly lineups

Postby scully19 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:02 pm

I like the idea of weekly subs mostly because it allows you to stash guys to develop for the future and not be completely devastated by their presence not preforming and hurting your overall score.

Long term injuries are actually a valid concern too, because you are locked into a player that isn't playing, so you are losing out on 3 games a week while everyone plugs in all of their guys all the time (if they don't have injuries too).
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 186)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Markos wrote: I'm talking about injury coverage. It's a fatal shortcoming of daily leagues IMO. So is the complete incapacity of GM's to both contend and stash a long term prospect. I didn't suggest weekly leagues just for a giggle.

I think you're overselling the impact. Guys get injured every year, and if it's a top end guy you're probably screwed regardless of which kind of player subs the league is using. Some teams have injured guys and still mange to do quite well too. Above and beyond that, NBA teams have to deal with

Markos wrote: Oh, and Rudy Gay got injured last season, and was replaced by Tony Allen. For about 2 or 3 months from memory. But yeah, I pulled the example out of thin air, and used the example of 1 month, not 3, somehow implying bigger numbers. Fantastic logic, thanks for discussing the issue with an even keel. :-t

Yes, i realize that Allen replaced Gay in the Griz lineup. ;-D I was talking about your specific example where we were talking about a couple of games. Anyway, there's no question that weekly subs allows to carry injured players with less consequence over the bulk of a season - that's certainly the case and you won't see me try to prove otherwise. My issues with weekly subs lie elsewhere.

Markos wrote:In a nutshell, having my opponent's scrubs go up against mine for an extra 1.5 games a week each for some extra cookies simply isn't worth being stuck with injured guys getting DNP's for months, or being unable to stash a rook.

Backing out of this for now, probably need to get some other voices in here and see if the weekly format garners enough support for a vote or whatever.

See I'd disagree abouyt the value of being able to sub in my bench guys to my hearts content, but I think that's the main difference of opinion here, so no surprise.

By all means lets let some other people chime in and where we stand. I might not like weekly subs, but I'll roll with what the league wants with no complaints.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:16 am

Alright, it may take a little while to get a result as a few of the guys aren't around much. I think we should probably give it until Saturday June 16th for guys to chime in, and delay the decision if necessary until at least 2/3rds of the league, or 11 GM's, have posted their preference.

Weekly lineups
Markos
Silentjim
Scully

Daily lineups
Fenris
RocketsDWM

On the fence
DVauthrin

Red was leaning towards weekly lineups but I'll let him chime in again first.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby TheRobSays » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 am

Sorry I was out of town and hadnt checked this in a while. I need some time to think about this as the auction during the season is part of the fun for me.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 70)

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby TheRobSays » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Why not eliminate the bench entirely and have all players on active roster spots? Or reduce bench to two guys and go with weekly lineups or something like that. solves the problem of "man games" as everyone is treated equally and you have two bench spots to park rookies and injured players, almost like the real NBA.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 70)

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:42 am

Well, the real NBA dresses 12 and sits three, but it's not the worst way to go. The issue there is that you hav every little room to carry injuries and developmental players, which is counter-productive in a salary league like this one.

Along those lines, I was thinking that we could perhaps expand the rosters to 15 and drop the active slots by one (essentially expanding the bench by two). That strikes a median position betweem the weekly and daily subs camps because you get more slots to carry non-productive players, but you still get to manage match-ups and injury subs on a daily basis. I do agree that this league could use a format that better allows teams to carry projects and injuries, I just don't want to move to weekly subs to get that done.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Amnesty Clause

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 am

It was discussed during the season, but what about a clause that permits each team to drop one of their albatross contracts, without penalty? With so many newcomers last season, seems like the right move to make. It does not mimic the NBA as NBA teams still have to pay the player but I dont think we have to be an exact replica.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:03 am

Just a thought - and it goes against the blind waiver system which I think could be too complicated.

My suggestion would be keep it simple - Waiver bidding remains as is. No tiebreakers. Whoever bids the most at the end of the bidding process wins. Why devise a formula?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby scully19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:36 am

I think the teams that inherited the horrible teams should be able to, but maybe not the whole league. We reap what we sow in that regard (and this is coming from a team that could really use that amnesty.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am

I'm not a fan of what the blind waiver system seems to offer.

We do need to come up with a better tie breaker idea though.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap