2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

European Draft picks

Postby scully19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:28 pm

I figured we should separate everything into it's own thread so that the talk can all be focused on one main idea. This one is again about the draft (seeing as how we should figure out this stuff first since we are going to draft sooner than anything else), and drafting European guys. Basically this goes to the Ricky Rubio clause. No one could draft him because he was in Europe for 2 years, and we should do the same thing the NBA does on these as well, having the rights to the players in Europe, and their salary locked in once they are drafted, and when they join the NBA they are on your team at that salary.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby scully19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:31 pm

A thought would be to have a slot on the team sort of like the the IR of the first year, except perhaps an untouchable list, so at the start of the year you can put someone of the D-League List and he is there the whole year. That way you can have a developmental player rights without him taking up a slot on your active roster.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby scully19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:42 pm

This is true, while it is a attempt to mimic the league to the best of our ability, we shouldn't have it as the rich get richer and create small market teams because they don't win enough before making it harder to win in the future.

I think it would be a good idea to scrap last years position in the tie breaker, and just use positional availability to determine tie breakers, and if they have the same positional availability then the team who had his rights retain him (if bidding).

The soft cap rule I'm not sure about, it is a rule everyone faces, and is balanced throughout the league (everyone has the same number, no team can get a higher soft cap number somehow). I guess the idea would be to scrap the soft cap all together, but this same problem will happen when you reach the hard cap and can't go higher than that, while someone else can and so outbids you.

My guess is this current system is most upsetting for you because you are in this predicament by someone else's doing. I would imagine that you wouldn't feel the same way if the amnesty clause happened and you could get under the cap and away from the financial problems you inherited. Then you can use that same rule to your benefit if you wanted.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

silentjim wrote:Could we possibly explore just allowing x amount of money being droppable as well without penalty? Meaning it could be three players worth 10M or 1 worth 10M? I could just see it being a huge benefit for some teams and not much of anything for others.

I think though, some leveling of the playing field is needed. As SoTex has illustrated, the bottom teams in this league (I think for the most part managers who have taken over teams) have no shot at rebuilding with albatross contracts on their hand. That Calederon contract is severly hampering So's ability to make offers and be competitive in bidding. I would even suggest that he could enact the amnesty clause retroactively and rid himself of Calderon's contract.

I think the first step is to update the salary google spreadsheet...then we can start looking at how much of a difference this would really make.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scully19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I think reaching some sort of maximum amount is a good idea to try to keep the amnesty balanced for all (if every team gets it). Say something like 2 players and 10 M. But then what do we do to someone who wants to remove someone at 11 mill. I would imagine the remaining money will have 1 mill that is basically released (so it would be at 75% value first year, 50% then on).
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:05 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
silentjim wrote:Could we possibly explore just allowing x amount of money being droppable as well without penalty? Meaning it could be three players worth 10M or 1 worth 10M? I could just see it being a huge benefit for some teams and not much of anything for others.

I think though, some leveling of the playing field is needed. As SoTex has illustrated, the bottom teams in this league (I think for the most part managers who have taken over teams) have no shot at rebuilding with albatross contracts on their hand. That Calederon contract is severly hampering So's ability to make offers and be competitive in bidding. I would even suggest that he could enact the amnesty clause retroactively and rid himself of Calderon's contract.

I think the first step is to update the salary google spreadsheet...then we can start looking at how much of a difference this would really make.

In this case we could allow anyone already waived to be their current contract value (so Calderon will actually be worth 8.5 in release and the entire contract would then be gone)

EDIT: Working on Spreadsheet now for a bit.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: European Draft picks

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Works for me. So Rubio would be available to draft this year, right?
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 145)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:59 pm

scully19 wrote:In this case we could allow anyone already waived to be their current contract value (so Calderon will actually be worth 8.5 in release and the entire contract would then be gone)

This makes the most sense to me, if we're going to use some kind of dollar limit.

I think the best thing in this case would be to find out who has the largest sized albatross contract, and use that as the limit for all. For example, say a manager wants to drop Sam Bowie at 11.5M + 11.5M. No other manager has a qualified player for that much. So 11.5M would be the dollar limit for the league. If the contract of that player increases (11.5M + 12M), then we could either use the largest dollar amount as the limit (12M), or average out the contract and that's the limit (11.75M). Either way, this would ensure that no one would be left with a million or two hanging around somewhere - the largest contract available would come right off the books.

I also like the limit on players dropped - 2 or 3 max is my opinion if we go that route. This way, a manager isn't just dropping a bunch of 2, 3 or 4 million dollar players in order to free up cap space.

Good dialog on this front so far. ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby So-Tex » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:24 am

scully19 wrote:This is true, while it is a attempt to mimic the league to the best of our ability, we shouldn't have it as the rich get richer and create small market teams because they don't win enough before making it harder to win in the future.

I think it would be a good idea to scrap last years position in the tie breaker, and just use positional availability to determine tie breakers, and if they have the same positional availability then the team who had his rights retain him (if bidding).

The soft cap rule I'm not sure about, it is a rule everyone faces, and is balanced throughout the league (everyone has the same number, no team can get a higher soft cap number somehow). I guess the idea would be to scrap the soft cap all together, but this same problem will happen when you reach the hard cap and can't go higher than that, while someone else can and so outbids you.

My guess is this current system is most upsetting for you because you are in this predicament by someone else's doing. I would imagine that you wouldn't feel the same way if the amnesty clause happened and you could get under the cap and away from the financial problems you inherited. Then you can use that same rule to your benefit if you wanted.

All good points scully.

And if I may, let me rephrase my attitudes towards the soft cap. I'm fine with the rules in place for working within the soft cap, as frustrating as it seems to me. What I'm proposing is we should maybe look into enhancing those rules to give teams, ALL teams, more flexibility - thus, allowing them to be more competitive.

What if working within the soft cap was based on a percentage of your remaining cap space, as opposed to a fixed number like .25M min, or 6M with the MLE? For me, it would seem a lot less constraining if I knew I could use up to 50, 60, or even 70% of my remaining cap space, within the rules, on one auction - if I wanted to.** SEE BELOW ** The percentage amount would reset every time you signed a FA. So eventually, you would only be able to offer the .25M min, and even then, only if you were still under the hard cap.

Ex: Say you have 10M in cap space remaining, obviously over the soft cap. Instead of messing with an MLE or any other constraints, the rule would simply state that you could use up to a certain percentage of your remaining cap space. For this example let's use 50% (feeling lazy with the math right now :*) ). So if I have 10M of hard cap space left, I can use up to 5M of that to sign a FA. Say I do manage to sign a FA at 5M. That means I now have 5M left in hard cap space. If I decide to go for another FA, I can only use 50% of that amount to sign that player. So now, I still have 2.5M to work with.

We could even make a stipulation that once within X amount of dollars of the hard cap limit, you can no longer use a percentage of your remaining cap space, thus falling back to the old hard limits of .25M min (or whatever limits we set). So for the example above, say we set that amount at 2M before the hard cap limit. What that means is that once I get within 2M of the hard cap, I can no longer use the percentage rule, only minimum bids. So because I'm at 5M remaining cap space, I can still use the percentage rule to bid on FAs. Once my salary hits 78M (hard cap limit being 80M), I would be restricted from using the percentage rule. And rightfully so, if I'm that close to the hard cap.

** FROM ABOVE ** Realistically, I don't know that anyone would want to max themselves out at the hard cap. There just isn't that much true talent out there. And a system like this would make it easier for the squads that need help, especially those over the soft cap. Plus, it would now make FAs worth closer to what makes sense. Having Kris Humphries at 1.2M is great and all, but we can honestly say that his worth during the bulk of his run last season was probably more than that - at least in my opinion, he was worth more than the 2.6M I have in Luke Ridnour, and maybe even worth as much as the 4.5M I have in Tiago Splitter. So, at least having more leverage in bidding will attract premiums for the quality players, making things more realistic. And if someone just happens to sign a guy to a long term, low dollar deal, and it pays off, then congrats on that manager's basketball savvy.

I know the current rules are in place for everybody, and no one really hurts, or benefits, more from those rules than anyone else. I'm just looking at things in terms of competition and fun. And having hard limits to work with is very rigid, in my opinion. I think if we can make some enhancements to those rules, it may open up opportunities to make this particular league even more exciting and fun to play in.

Yeah, I know that sounds all 4th grader-ish, but it's the best way I can explain it. :-B
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Re: European Draft picks

Postby scully19 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:53 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Works for me. So Rubio would be available to draft this year, right?

I believe Rubio will be available to auction.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap