2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 am

Hmm. I think if we're going to amnesty players then teams should be allowed to amnesty (at the very least) any one player regardless of his salary. What would you guys say to something like - one player of any value, or a package of players totaling 10M or less. I think that amnestying a package of guys should be more restricted because it's freeing up both roster slots and cap space. Even limited like that I think you'd see most teams free up something close to 10M in space, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth to anyone who actually manages their cap properly up until this point. Really, I'd be perfectly happy to leave it at each team being able to amnesty one bad contract period.

I'm more interested in teams being able to drop that one big albatross than I am in allowing them to drop a package of ill-considered free agent singings. That helps the teams that really need it without feeling so much like a near reset.

I'm fine with new managers having the option to amnesty a bad contract too, although I think allowing them one amnesty is plenty.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft picks (Non-Guaranteed Contracts)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:58 am

I don't want no extra stinkin' slots. :-D I think it would be much simpler to call every drafted player, regardless of draft position, something akin to a restricted free agent. You don't have to put him on the team and you have right to match should some other team try to snag him. Essentially you own the rights to a drafted player without it costing guaranteed money or roster slots. If we go this direction I really don't think it should only apply to some portion of the first round, I think it's an all or nothing deal (or just for the second round I suppose, as we currently do).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:07 am

The simplest answer might be to give every team a discretionary cap exception every year. Just to spitball some numbers, let's say that a team over the cap has a 2M budget for FA auction acquisitions. If a team keeps spending and spending then yeah, they'll get to the hard cap eventually, but them's the breaks for the reckless few I suppose. What this system would do, especially when combined with blind waivers, is prevent the 100K over bid and allow teams to pay a fair wage to most FAs that might crop up during the year. They might still be out of the running for a top tier guy, but that's the price for being over the cap (and I don't think many would argue with me there).

This could be a smaller part of a more general cap rules overhaul too. I think in general that this league needs to trim some of the fat off the rule book, and this might be a good place to start.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Draft lottery

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:08 am

I'm strangely comfortable with that whole idea. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scully19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 am

I stopped reading after you said rights. That's perfect, all players, european or american, you own the rights to the players drafted at a value but you don't sign him right away. Then someone else can sign them if you don't have them on your team (I'm assuming at the selected price based on position), then you can match if they do.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 189)

Postby So-Tex » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:09 am

Fenris-77 wrote:Hmm. I think if we're going to amnesty players then teams should be allowed to amnesty (at the very least) any one player regardless of his salary. What would you guys say to something like - one player of any value, or a package of players totaling 10M or less. I think that amnestying a package of guys should be more restricted because it's freeing up both roster slots and cap space. Even limited like that I think you'd see most teams free up something close to 10M in space, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth to anyone who actually manages their cap properly up until this point. Really, I'd be perfectly happy to leave it at each team being able to amnesty one bad contract period.

I'm more interested in teams being able to drop that one big albatross than I am in allowing them to drop a package of ill-considered free agent singings. That helps the teams that really need it without feeling so much like a near reset.

I'm fine with new managers having the option to amnesty a bad contract too, although I think allowing them one amnesty is plenty.

As much as I'm liking the ideas being thrown around, I'm still good with this sentiment as well. I don't mind the contracts I signed so much as I mind the ones I didn't sign (yes, that Calderon deal, even at 50%, is a downer for me, big time). If it means just getting rid of the one bad contract completely, I'm good with that.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 181)

Re: Draft lottery

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:18 am

I'd back that.

Not that it affects me, but would it be relevant for the coming draft or would it kick off from 2012?
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:53 am

I agree, let GM's use the amnesty on ONE player only.

Would consider letting GM's like So Tex use their amnesty on guys they've already waived too.

New GM's get one free waive, but only during the offseason. If a GM takes over midseason, too bad, they have to wait.

Keep it simple.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 am

scully19 wrote:I stopped reading after you said rights. That's perfect, all players, european or american, you own the rights to the players drafted at a value but you don't sign him right away. Then someone else can sign them if you don't have them on your team (I'm assuming at the selected price based on position), then you can match if they do.
That's pretty much what I was thinking, yeah. Those drafted players (from the first round) can't be offered any contract except that dictated by the rookie scale, with the rights owning team being able to match and keep the player. So no bidding, per se, just an offer and the right to match. Players in the second round could work more like restricted FAs (i.e. no minimum salary).

The only issue with that idea is that you could end up with a bunch of teams making the same offer to an all-of-a-sudden-valuable draftee and end up with a massive tie. Calling the rookie scale a minimum, rather than a fixed price, could help solve that. Speaking of which...

We could also break away from the NBA model a bit and just treat all rookies like we treat second round guys now, with maybe a sliding scale for minimum contract offers for first round guys that we could set at maybe 50% of current rookie scale. Players can be offered more than that, like a FA, and teams would be able to match. Personally I'm OK with the rookie scale, but I thought I'd toss the idea out there.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am

First, I am liking these ideas, and I think I have another solution using daily rosters. It's not perfect, but I'll readily admit resorting to weekly lineups isn't either. I don't think simply reducing the number of active spots is going to fix the problem, but it got me thinking....

Daily lineups
Starter: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, U (9 players, so minus 1xU)
Bench: 3 players
Inactive: 3 players

GM's would still have three bench players they can rotate in/out of their lineups as we currently do. Below this the inactive list would serve as a place to stash prospects and backups without getting burnt in matchups. Teams would declare who was on their inactive list by posting it in the smacktalk box in yahoo! Those players would be ineligible to play for the week. This list would roll over for each matchup unless changed.

The biggest problem I see with this is actually enforcing it, making sure teams weren't rotating their inactive guys in through the week. Probably the easiest method would be to have opponents watch over each other, and in the event of a breach the team would ie. have to leave an active spot empty for a few days.

I think this addresses the biggest shortcoming of the current daily rosters formate without necessitating a change to weekly.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap