2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Draft picks (Non-Guaranteed Contracts)

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:16 pm

This really depends on where we go with other changes, the weekly vs daily rosters, the number of roster spots, how many guys are active etc.

If we implement some changes that allow teams to hold onto a project or two without it biting them in the ass, which in my opinion is a no brainer, then it doesn't phase me if the first round guys all get guaranteed contracts. Don't see why 2nd rounders should get a guaranteed deal though.

Not a fan of having teams owning the rights to players floating around in the yahoo! free agent pool though. Too messy, if you own a player you should be able to find a place for them. Otherwise just let them be unrestricted free agents.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Definitely agree we need to trim some of the fat off the rules. A simpler system would both probably be fairer for everyone and just a heck of a lot easier to follow, lol.

I'm rehashing a lot of the ideas mentioned earlier in the thread here by others, mixing in some ideas of my own. Not going to bother to mention who originally suggested each idea as it's all a bit of a blur now and I can;t be bothered going back through everything.

Blind bidding system

Bids would be forwarded to a dummy acct. and the PM's would be checked every Sunday. Bids would have to be in by Saturday midnight. The initial bidder would also need to start a thread named after the player, as before, the amount offered left unknown. At least one active, trustworthy GM would know the password, the rest of us can check that the PM's aren't being looked at ahead of time simply by checking the dummy acct profile's last login time/date.

For the offseason I'd make a list of the top 32 or 48 players on expiring contracts, 2 or 3 from each team, based on previous season ranking, or upcoming season projections, using bbm. GM's would make their bids via PM, and the results would be announced in a staggered format.

For the first 16 players on expiring contracts, 1 from each team, I would stagger the announcements by 24 hours each. So on Monday LeBron announces his decision, on Tuesday Wade, on Wednesday Bosh, Thursday Boozer etc. For the next 16 or 32 lesser guys I would announce ie 4 guys per day. This all gives teams time to react. So if you won out on Bron with a $30m per offer and were left with only $4m in cap space then any and all of your bids above $4m would be invalid. If you missed out on Bron you could put in a bid for Wade, if you hadn't already. Either way, you're still in the race if you've got the cap space.

The offseason tiebreaker would be randomly generated dice roll with the following modifiers:
+1 for home team
+1 point for playoff team
+1 point for top 4 team

so if your a cellar dwellar and you roll a 6, and the top 4 home team rolls a 2, you still win. In the event of a draw the first bid in wins. A tiebreaker would only be able to be used once each round of 16 free agents, so if you won using a tiebreaker for Bron you'd be unable to win Wade unless your bid was greater than your rivals.

Once the season began I would ditch the above tiebreak system and whoever got their bid in first would be the winner.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: European Draft picks

Postby Markos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Agree with most of this, if a player is drafted and spends the next two seasons overseas then take the cap hold off, the team that drafted them retains their rights and then adds them to the cap once they are getting paid in the NBA. They get the same rookie contract they would have gotten had they come straight across. Assuming we find some way of benching projects this won't be a problem IMO.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby scully19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm going to have to go over the rules again for the Blind waiver system because I'm not sure I fully get the point, but generally I don't really like the idea.

I not sure if it was talked about before, but this is the first I am hearing about the tie breaker idea of the first bidder wins during the regular season if their is one. Everything else even, first person to the party makes a lot of sense.

As discussed in another thread, I think we need to break from the realism of the league a little bit in that we should try to stop rewarding teams for being good and make it easier for teams to rebuild after a bad season, so that you could go from worst to first a little easier (whereas right now this may be impossible).

I do like the simplicity of a roll of the dice with only a couple modifiers (like already owning the player), I think this league will be much easier run though if we stuck with the simple auction format, and also more realistic because it seems everyone finds out what players are being offered during the process even though it is supposed to be a secret. Keeping everything staggered and with a player cap on many guys can be up for auction at one time is a good idea too because then it isn't really much of an issue that you only have X amount to bid left.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 203)

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby scully19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm

What about just adding a games limit to each position? That way you essentially are only supposed to be playing 1 guy per position, but if they miss a game you sub someone else in there to cover, get slightly less production but cover it much better than missing someone entirely for a game. The bench can then be used for projects and supersubs at the owner's discrepancy. I think this would pretty much solve all the problems.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Draft lottery

Postby scully19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

The coming draft. I'm assuming everything we are discussing is to be changed immediately.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Draft lottery

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm on board with this to start this upcoming season. ;-D
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Re: European Draft picks

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:21 pm

I hear what Fenris is saying about not wanting to deviate from Yahoo's database for all the players for all our teams. However, would it really be that difficult to keep track of 1 development slot here? It'd be one thread and as soon as the player hits the NBA, he must be added to the roster on a rookie contract or released into the FA pool. Perhaps down the road, if successful, we could allow teams to have more than 1 'rights' slot.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Markos wrote:I agree, let GM's use the amnesty on ONE player only.

Would consider letting GM's like So Tex use their amnesty on guys they've already waived too.

New GM's get one free waive, but only during the offseason. If a GM takes over midseason, too bad, they have to wait.

Keep it simple.

+1 - forget any package of players for the reasons Fenris listed above.
RedHopeful

Re: Draft picks (Non-Guaranteed Contracts)

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:06 pm

When it's just rookies it's not actually that messy. Certainly not even a fraction as messy as last years injured player rules fiasco. :-t

This is more about allowing teams to draft for the long term than it is about 'clean' though. Even with more bench slots, no one is going to want to draft, say, Valanciunas this year because he definitely won't be playing. That should be something they can do without iy being as issue though.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 366)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap