2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 am

So-Tex wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:GMs should definitely be able to use the amnesty on someone they've already waived. ;-D

It'd be the only reason I'd be interested in using it. (Yes, I'm looking at YOU Jose Calderon!) }:-)

What? He's such a bargain!
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft picks (Non-Guaranteed Contracts)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 am

To ensure that the Yahoo database is concurrent with our salary pages, you could just add two roster spots with the idea being one slot is for a rookie and the other for an international player (you can set the parameters on what defines a rook and an international player). The slots can only be used in this way (can't have 2 international players or 2 rooks or a vet taking up one of the slots)

This way, you do not have to visit the cafe to see who is taken.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 am

Yeah, no limit on the amount.

Also, I'd open trading first, so teams can move players around first. Lets teams without any bad contracts offer to take on a bad deal and use their amnesty.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Should we hold a redraft (Poll)?

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 am

I'd say 2/3rds, 10 GM's, is enough. I doubt we even get all 15 GM's in here.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:09 am

Markos wrote:Yeah, no limit on the amount.

Also, I'd open trading first, so teams can move players around first. Lets teams without any bad contracts offer to take on a bad deal and use their amnesty.

Good idea.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:34 am

Fenris

99% of the time during the season the tie breaker would only be relevant for guys being offered the minimum. And I think when guys are bidding the minimum the time rule should apply, it's not only simple, the active GM's who first notice a fringe player doing well and put their name up and money down should get the reward, everything else being equal.

During the offseason, with the MLE in particular, the tiebreaker would still be wide open to everyone as we'd be using a dice roll. We can ditch the top 8 team modifier and go with positional need instead:
+1 home team
+1 top 4 last season
+1 positional need/vacancy

The dice roll gives everyone a chance, every time. Even if I'm a top 4 team with a positional need trying to resign my own guy, I can still lose my guy pretty easily if I roll a 1.

DV is right about the MLE too, teams should save it, or some of it, so they can go above the minimum. I deliberately did this last year and scooped up every mid-season free agent I bid on through the season. I was laughing watching guys blow their entire wad in the preseason knowing I could bid just above the minimum through the season and take 2/3rds of the league out of the equation.

My biggest concern for using BBM rankings and playing time is it becomes a bit cumbersome. I agree with the idea, but I don't know if I could be bothered working out the modifiers for every free agent on every team in the tiebreaker. Also, if one of my own guys ie. LMA is up for auction too, how would the modifier apply? I wouldn't know if I was keeping LMA at that stage, so do I have a vacancy at PF or not? Multiple position eligiblity clouds things a bit too, would LMA count as a F or a C?

Again, I like the concept, just scared it might bog us down too much. But if there is a simple way of doing it that I'm just not seeing, I'm all for it.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: European Draft picks

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:43 am

Agreed, having different places to find the relevant info is crap. If the guy is on yahoo, he needs to be listed on your roster. If he's not in yahoo! because he's playing overseas, then he is listed in the salary spreadsheet and you just leave a roster spot open.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:09 am

Markos wrote:Fenris

99% of the time during the season the tie breaker would only be relevant for guys being offered the minimum. And I think when guys are bidding the minimum the time rule should apply, it's not only simple, the active GM's who first notice a fringe player doing well and put their name up and money down should get the reward, everything else being equal.

During the offseason, with the MLE in particular, the tiebreaker would still be wide open to everyone as we'd be using a dice roll. We can ditch the top 8 team modifier and go with positional need instead:
+1 home team
+1 top 4 last season
+1 positional need/vacancy

The dice roll gives everyone a chance, every time. Even if I'm a top 4 team with a positional need trying to resign my own guy, I can still lose my guy pretty easily if I roll a 1.

DV is right about the MLE too, teams should save it, or some of it, so they can go above the minimum. I deliberately did this last year and scooped up every mid-season free agent I bid on through the season. I was laughing watching guys blow their entire wad in the preseason knowing I could bid just above the minimum through the season and take 2/3rds of the league out of the equation.

My biggest concern for using BBM rankings and playing time is it becomes a bit cumbersome. I agree with the idea, but I don't know if I could be bothered working out the modifiers for every free agent on every team in the tiebreaker. Also, if one of my own guys ie. LMA is up for auction too, how would the modifier apply? I wouldn't know if I was keeping LMA at that stage, so do I have a vacancy at PF or not? Multiple position eligiblity clouds things a bit too, would LMA count as a F or a C?

Again, I like the concept, just scared it might bog us down too much. But if there is a simple way of doing it that I'm just not seeing, I'm all for it.

;-D
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 am

Damn, a games limit would have worked well.

I still think this works:
starters : PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, U
bench: 3 open
inactive: 3 open

I think we need at least 3 inactive spots though, pretty easy to fill one or two with a rookie or two getting little to no burn and a Euro, plus a third with an injury reserve guy to sub in/out as necessary. As is I can see a lot of teams using 2 or even all 3 inactive slots for scrub vets and subbing them in/out to maximise their weekly production, but they'll suffer down the road.

But if guys think we need more bench slots then lets increase it to 4 or even 5. A lot of NBA teams have 14 or 15 guys on their squad plus the rights to a few other players. I think this is a better solution than simply reducing the number of active slots. It's slightly more complicated admittedly, but ultimately we have to do something to allow us to stash projects and rooks without it killing us in the matchups
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Re: Draft picks (Non-Guaranteed Contracts)

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:32 am

Agreed, with should be able to draft a guy like Valanciunas and stash him.

The latest suggestion I made in the daily vs weekly thread takes care of this. The only problem is keeping tabs on teams, making sure they aren't simply using the extra bench slots to rotate vet scrubs in/out of the lineup to increase their total games played each week.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap