2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Should we hold a redraft (Poll)?

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:40 am

Hell no. :-t
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: European Draft picks

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 am

Which roster are you talking about? I'm guessing you mean Y!, but that kind of ignores the whole point of the thread, which is that drafted players not playing in the NBA shouldn't take up roster slots.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 am

The developmental slot would be hard to set rules for, like what kind of player can go there, and when and how to swap them out to the team (and then could they be replaced on the list by someone else, or do you need to open up a roster spot). Personally, I'm leaning towards something like every draft pick is slotted for a contract but not signed yet. Players must be in the league (so can't sign a player in europe). You don't have to sign a rookie though, and anyone can try to sign that player at which point you can match the bid or let the player go. Much simpler to just list a player as rights then have all these rules for developmental player and then try to enforce them.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 201)

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:57 am

The whole point behind going to weekly waiver claims was to reduce the element of 'first-come-first-serve' from the FA process. That said, if GMs had a couple of mil worth of exception to bid on FAs with the whole min bid becomes irrelevant - people would bid a closer to fair amount, and I think ties would be much less prevelant. Team's who spent so much that they can't offer more than the bare min can suck it. :-b

The BBM thing would have to be done using last years's numbers (or whatever numbers) as a frozen list, which we could just post here for ease of reference. You'd only have to go grab the numbers for the guys on you team once and add them to whatever spreadsheet we're using and the work is essentially done.

Positional eligibity and how that relates to mods has already been discussed. Probably the easiest way to handle things is to decide on a BBM value cut off and then give a bonus for teams who don't have a player that good at the position in question. Teams can mix and match to figure out which position their other guys play, and that list would probably have to be part of the bidding process. I.E. you add the position the FA is expected to play and the BBM value of the best player filling that position currently on the team to your bid. There's a bunch of other ways bthat could be handled mind you, and I'm not married to the BBM idea, I just think it's the fairest metric to use because it measures fantasy impact and we're playing a fantasy game.

Essentially, every team has to fill their depth chart starting with the best BBM value and going down. When it matters for a FA, a very short precis of how you're moving players around would be enough to verify the info.

And yes, as a guy who had cap space and got pretty much every FA he wanted, I get why it's agood idea to save some exceptiuon space. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:02 am

I'm against moving the rosters past 15. I;d be ok with 'inactive slots' tracked via the team's smack window though. That should work just fine, and I'm sure people will be looking for infractions. Especially if the penalties for those infractions are stiff enough.

We could have people responsible for setting thier inactive slots by, say, Saturday and midnight for a league that starts scoring on Sundays. Then, whatever's in their smack box is what their bound by. That assumes we're all good using the honour system, since you can't tracj changes to the smack window, but I'm not worried about cheats and sneaks in this league, so I think it would be fine.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Draft picks (Non-Guaranteed Contracts)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:03 am

Markos wrote:Agreed, with should be able to draft a guy like Valanciunas and stash him.

The latest suggestion I made in the daily vs weekly thread takes care of this. The only problem is keeping tabs on teams, making sure they aren't simply using the extra bench slots to rotate vet scrubs in/out of the lineup to increase their total games played each week.

This is easy to deter - just make the penalties for cheating stiff enough to make people think twice. People will be watching for infractions.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby scully19 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:07 am

I'm liking the 1 guy, no limit, open trades first idea.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 201)

Re: NOW VOTING!!! Lets roll with weekly lineups NOW VOTING!!

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:30 am

When you say you're against going past 15, are you including the 3 inactive slots in that 15? If so it would have to be 9 active, 3 bench and 3 inactive. Otherwise we could keep the active bench slots at 5 like last season, or perhaps drop down to 4. I'm easy either way.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)

Free agency & 7 day contract deadline/changes

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:15 am

One thing I really didn't like last season was that free agency was open all through the playoffs, allowing teams to stream players with either guys on 7 day contracts or min deals.

Lets be realistic, with exception of perhaps 1 waiver wire add, all playoff bound NBA teams are settled with a couple of weeks to go before the playoffs. They roll with what they have, and in the case of injury they elevate a guy up into the rotation. They don't bring in new guys each week through the regular season, yet alone the playoffs. We need a deadline to add guys like the NBA has.

First, I would consider extending the 7 day contract to 14 days. The NBA has 10 day contracts, and often extend a second one making it 20 days all up. That's about 3 weeks.

Also, the idea of a 10 day contract is to get someone in to fill a roll when you're hit with an injury or are short players following a trade, or just to try a guy out and see if he sticks. It makes sense to give the team that issued the contract the option to match any offers made to the player while he is still signed and playing for them. Assuming they have the cap space or an exception to cover it of course. This would encourage teams to try picking up a player on a 14 day deal just before their stock rose.

Lastly, I would cut the number of 14 day contracts to about 10, which means you could still use a roster spot to rotate guys through the whole season if you prefered, but not 2 or 3 of them in any given week.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Markos » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 am

Well, they'd take up an inactive slot, but if that bothers you we could just allow players that aren't listed in yahoo! to not require a slot.

But lets keep it tight. If a Euro guy is in the draft, you can draft him. Afterwards, if he doesn't come over, and thus isn't listed in yahoo!, he is still yours but his contract is suspended and he doesn't require a yahoo! roster spot. Once he comes over his contract kicks in and he requires a yahoo! slot. If noone drafts him he enters free agency like anyone else left undrafted, but can;t be picked up until he is listed in yahoo!. The Euro's we own rights to are all listed on the salary spreadsheet, and their rights can be traded freely.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap