2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Free agency & 7 day contract deadline/changes

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 pm

RedHopeful wrote:I'd argue we need additional parameters on min deals and 7 day contracts outside of the playoffs (except for teams hit hard with injury). What should they be?

We could limit both the total number of 7 contracts allowed and limit the number a team can use at once. I'd suggest something like 6 or 8 for the total (maybe 10), and no more than one or possibly two at a time. Maybe one at a time with possibly hardship exceptions for more than that.

I'm fine with a total moves limit, but in a league like this I don't see anyone capping out anyway, not unless the moves limit is set really low. Personally, I view the salary cap as a built in moves limiter in many ways, so I don't think we'd need to set the bar that low. If we want to limit streaming, we could always just rule that during the season a team may not bid on a player who was previously under contrcat with that same team during that same year. In other words, no recycling (now that I think about it we might have a rule like that already). That wouldn't apply to 7 days mind you, which might be a nice way to seperate the two.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Draft lottery

Postby Markos » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 am

We could use actual lottery results for our lottery. The odds work out pretty darn close to the NBA's

Rank ~ Numbers ~ # of balls (45 total)
16th ~ 1-11 ~ 11
15th ~ 12-20 ~ 9
14th ~ 21-27 ~ 7
13th ~ 28-33 ~ 6
12th ~ 34-37 ~ 4
11th ~ 38-40 ~ 3
10th ~ 41-43 ~ 3
9th ~ 44-45 ~ 2

Use the first three drawn balls to determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks (in that order) while picks 4th onwards follow reverse standings like the NBA. Need to make sure we're very clear allocating which lotto balls to which teams. Also have to be careful the site shows the balls in the exact order they are drawn, not from lowest to highest. Aside that, just set a date and check who wins. In my league we've used the following site:

http://www.ozlotteries.com/lotto-results/powerball.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Markos » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:11 am

Something I just remembered was that the salary amounts for the 7 day contracts were the vet minimum, except they couldn't be bought out at 75%. So it would cost $250k to hire a guy for a week, but only $182k to hire a guy using the vet min and then ditch them a day, a week, or a month later. Absurd, and one of the reasons I never made any 7 day offers.

The other was by making a 2 year deal at the minimum I was essentially buying a player's bird rights for peanuts, as a player signed to a full season or more. I have bird rights to Jared Dudley and Carlos Delfino for peanuts, and if they suck I waive them and it only costs me $400k in buyouts. I should have Foye's too but I missed the boat. The previous GM got me Darren Collison wityh a 2 year min deal, so I have his bird rights this offseason. No way these guys sign up for next season at the minimum.

I'd suggest we drop the 7 day deal to $100k, and raise the vet minimum to $400k. This would fit well with all bids being made in multiples of $100k, and at 75% the buyout for a min deal would be a neat $300k. I'd also limit all contracts under $1m to 1 year, and ineligible for bird rights, so to buy someone's bird rights you have to at least offer $1m and have them on your squad through a full season.

Also, while I agree with the no recycling rule in principal, and obviously limiting moves, we have to keep in mind these rules ultimately are meaningless if we aren't enforcing them. Lets keep it simple, institute a season limit, let teams use it when and how they please. We can set the salary spreadsheet up with ie. 10 slots for 7 day deals and once that's full then obviously the limit has been reached.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby scully19 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:40 am

Can't believe I forgot to mention that. We def need something in there for teams to only be able to fall 3 spots at most, then everyone gets placed based on position.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 189)

Postby scully19 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:47 am

You can just use something as simple as this:
http://www.random.org/integers/

Draw 3 numbers from 1 to 1000, person with highest odds would be 1-250, then 251 to 411 would be second, etc.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 189)

Postby Markos » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Yeah, but the random.org site requires someone go in, get the results, then post them up for everyone else, while going off genuine lotto results doesn't. While most likely an unnecessary precaution, it removes any doubt of it being fixed, real or alleged.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby silentjim » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I thought, but of course I'm not currently looking it up, that you had to have a player on your team for an entire year to have his birds rights already.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby Markos » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:21 pm

You do. You can either offer a guy the minimum in the preseason, or you can offer him a 2 year min deal midseason. Either way $250k is chump change to land a guys bird rights, I don't think it's realistic. The vet min for a player in the NBA is about $1m, give or take a bit depending on how many years they've played. And most of those guys would only sign on for a season at that price.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Maybe we need to take a broader look at the salary issue. Not only do the 7 day contracts not make sense, but I have some additiuonal problems with how other contracts are rationalized, specifically regarding which contract 'beats' another. I agree that it's ridiculous that a bare min two or three year deal trumps a one year deal. There simply aren't a lot of players who'd actually take a deal like that. I think that contract length, as a % multiplier to contract value, should probably only apply after a certain salary threshhold. Maybe something in the 2-3M range?
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 278)

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm

Markos wrote:Something I just remembered was that the salary amounts for the 7 day contracts were the vet minimum, except they couldn't be bought out at 75%. So it would cost $250k to hire a guy for a week, but only $182k to hire a guy using the vet min and then ditch them a day, a week, or a month later. Absurd, and one of the reasons I never made any 7 day offers.

Just for the sake of accuracy, it didn't cost owners any money to cut 7 day contracts. Basically, it was treated as one $250K salary that covered all of your 7 day contracts, and you didn't have to pay anything to cut them.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap