2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Should we hold a redraft (Poll)?

Postby TheRobSays » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 am

I voted no and I also hate the idea of amnesty as I put a lot of work into my team and having room for free agents when they come due. Now after two years I could have dropped one of my fat contracts? No thanks.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby So-Tex » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:33 am

TheRobSays wrote:I voted no and I also hate the idea of amnesty as I put a lot of work into my team and having room for free agents when they come due. Now after two years I could have dropped one of my fat contracts? No thanks.

So how else would you propose we get those managers like myself on a level playing field? By balancing out the rookie draft? Even in real life, teams have been "rebuilding" for what seems like decades (LA Clippers anyone?). And regardless of owner competency, I'm pressed to name a team of completely drafted rookies over a period of three years which was dominating by the third year. So that's probably not enough of an option to balance the playing field.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking to be where you are now after two years of hard work. You've busted your ass to get your team where you want it, and you should be commended for that. But I'm sure there are a few other (if not most) "inherited" teams that aren't even where you were two years ago. They're actually worse off.

This is why the idea of a redraft DOES appeal to me - if you're so adamant about your work ethic, then I say let's reboot! That way I can have a chance to show you MY work ethic!

This argument can go in circles all day long - the bottom line is we're all trying to find a happy medium so we don't have to resort to such a drastic measure as a redraft. Your opinion on amnesty is fine, and your entitled to it. However, amnesty is one of those things you may want to reconsider, simply because it completely avoids two other options - 1. A straight rebooting of the league, or, 2. Heaven forbid, a break up of the league.

Just something you ought to consider before you flat out, hands down turn your back on amnesty. ;-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Re: New CBA changes

Postby Markos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 pm

If we need to hold our free agent auctions before they come up with a new CBA I'm not sure we'll be able to incorporate the new CBA until the following season, at least not without disadvantaging teams that were restricted by rules that were later abandoned.

How much time do we need for offseason free agency?
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)

Re: The Committee Thread

Postby Markos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

So.... who is putting their hand up?
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)

Postby scully19 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 pm

We'll I'm down to do basically what I have been doing anyways so far, keeping track of roster additions and salaries and putting them into a spread sheet, or the not at all unmanly secretary.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 200)

Postby scully19 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:36 pm

I think we would basically need to have a draft time, the auction would probably take longer than a couple weeks, and getting everything into yahoo in time for the start of the season. I would imagine that we need to start drafting like a month before the season is supposed to normally start, and if this is the case and no CBA is figured out yet, you're probably right and we are going to need to stick with the soft cap with the knowledge that next season the soft cap will be gone.

Unless stories leak that that hard cap is happening for sure.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

I think he is thinking along the same lines as I said at the start, and seemed to have been overruled for, in that new GM's get 1 player they can toss away in amnesty, but existing GM's get no such privilege.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheRobSays » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

scully19 wrote:I think he is thinking along the same lines as I said at the start, and seemed to have been overruled for, in that new GM's get 1 player they can toss away in amnesty, but existing GM's get no such privilege.

Totally, if you made your bed you sleep in it. If you have to take over someone else's team then I think you should get some kind of relief. I am not in favour of a redraft because we might as well just do a three year rolling league then becuase I expect we will always have turnover and bad contracts.

In my hardcore baseball keeper league I am in Year 5 of a rebuild and have never finished better than 12/20 in that time. I now have Stanton, Posey, Kershaw, Grienke, Trout, Cahill, Choo, J. Montero, Wieters and tons of other "young" talent which I hope will get me into contention in the next few years. This is commitment. FYI - THE CLIPPERS SUCK BECAUSE THEY ARE THE CLIPPERS.
TheRobSays
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 73)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:49 pm

There's almost two issues here. One is the specific question of the commissioner, whether we're going to have one or a group of co-commishes. That role is the one with enforcement capacity and it's the role that makes the call when things like league votes get sticky. At the end of the day someone has to be in charge.

A related, but still seperate, issue involves farming out the work of league maintenance so that no single person gets bogged down with too much. If we can farm out some of the work, like scully is already doing with the google docs, then I think we'll be in good shape. I'm not really suggesting a hugely different approach than the one Markos suggested in the OP, I'm just highlighting the need for, and importance of, identifying the commishioner(s).

I'm going to suggest that we go with a panel of three commissioners, and then figure out what duties can be done by other interested league members. I think the commissioners should ultimately be responsible for re-drafting the league rules and will also (obviously) be responsible for enforcement. We could certainly have different members of that panel responsible for different commish tasks, but that kind of detail can be worked out later. I like the panel approach because it allows one guy to drop out without throwing the league into a tizzy but still allows for final decision making since a three man vote can't end up in a tie (for those things that devolve to a commish vote).
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm

I don't think we need to wait for the NBA at all. We could simply decide to lower the cap and implement and/or amnesty clause, both with the intent of cleaning up the leftover messiness of an uneven start to the league. Our current salary structure isn't a perfect match to the NBA's anyway, so there's no need for that to be of prime importance this time round.

Personally, I'd be fine lowering the hard cap by 5 or 10 million and offering up an amnesty clause. When you do both of those things then the guys who have spent money wisely and actually have cap room will still be ahead in that regard. In fact, if we do go with the amnesty, we could probably lower the cap by more like 20M if that's what we wanted. We'd have to structure it right, but it's possible
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap