2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:01 pm

As a middle road option, we could always cap the value of the amnesty. For example, we could allow guys to amnesty one contract, but cap the salary savings at, say, 10M. So GMs would have to eat the difference if they amnesty a contract worth more than 10M. I bring this up because there's some legitimate concern that a non-capped amnesty might be too generous to GMs who have poorly managed teams, by which I mean it's potentially unfair to managers who have managed their cap well. I think this is a legitimate concern, and I think that fiscally responsible owners need to be taken into account as well as the handful of owners who have inherited teams with crippling cap issues.

Anyway, it struck me that an approach like this might be a more fair way to go.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Should we hold a redraft (Poll)?

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:06 pm

TheRobSays wrote:In my hardcore baseball keeper league I am in Year 5 of a rebuild and have never finished better than 12/20 in that time. I now have Stanton, Posey, Kershaw, Grienke, Trout, Cahill, Choo, J. Montero, Wieters and tons of other "young" talent which I hope will get me into contention in the next few years. This is commitment.

I feel you. My Bonanza Keeper here on the Cafe team has been rebuilding since I took it over and it's still not really a contender. Sometimes these things take time and that's simply part of playing a keeper league.

That said, this particular league had a lot of confusion and sloppiness in it's first year, as well as a bunch of auction league virgin GMs. There's a bigger than normal amount of crap to clean up here. :-b
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: The Committee Thread

Postby barrec » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:There's almost two issues here. One is the specific question of the commissioner, whether we're going to have one or a group of co-commishes. That role is the one with enforcement capacity and it's the role that makes the call when things like league votes get sticky. At the end of the day someone has to be in charge.

A related, but still seperate, issue involves farming out the work of league maintenance so that no single person gets bogged down with too much. If we can farm out some of the work, like scully is already doing with the google docs, then I think we'll be in good shape. I'm not really suggesting a hugely different approach than the one Markos suggested in the OP, I'm just highlighting the need for, and importance of, identifying the commishioner(s).

I'm going to suggest that we go with a panel of three commissioners, and then figure out what duties can be done by other interested league members. I think the commissioners should ultimately be responsible for re-drafting the league rules and will also (obviously) be responsible for enforcement. We could certainly have different members of that panel responsible for different commish tasks, but that kind of detail can be worked out later. I like the panel approach because it allows one guy to drop out without throwing the league into a tizzy but still allows for final decision making since a three man vote can't end up in a tie (for those things that devolve to a commish vote).

I also agree with the panel approach. I temp-managed a team in another league Markos was in (my apologies for the inconsistency :-/ ) but greatly admired their committee approach. They had a trade review committee, for example, that looked at each trade based on an established fair-trading premise designed to mitigate collusion. Not saying we need to do it exactly like that, but the organization made that league run very smoothly.

Akin to amending our league rules, we should probably establish an official 'constitution.' We obviously discussing many of the important aspects of it now, but perhaps it should be its own official document. If we opt for the commish-by-committee approach (which I feel has merit), that group could be in charge of putting together the document. To take it all in it seems like a lot of work....on the other hand, we may have some time to kill in the Fall....
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:13 pm

A constitution is a fine idea. I'd probably start with a handful of examples from other leagues and then synthesize a final product we can get behind. No need to re-invent the wheel.

I'd be all for a trade committe too, as opposed to a straight league vote. Combined with a constitution that would work really well. I've never been huge fan of league votes anyway - it often seems that disinterest or excessive self interest combine to ruin that process in a lot of cases.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scully19 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 am

Me and Barrec or working on a sexy new league spreadsheet arrangement. We're going to go through putting it together...together, but I will be taking care of that day to day stuff during the year. Should be a nice slick arrangement.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 am

We need some candidates for various other positions too, especially those pesky commish slots. I think the way to go is for people to nominate the candidates they want and we'll have some sort of vote (no voting for or nominating yourselves peeps, although I suppose expressing an interest in a certain position might be ok). Personally, I think Red, silentjim and DV would al make fine candidates for commish positions. I'd be willing to pitch in there too, but I stand by my thought that people shouldn't just volunteer for this shizz (not the commish slots anyway).

I think we might as well just confirm scully as our google docs guru and have done with it too. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby barrec » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 am

Fenris-77 wrote:We need some candidates for various other positions too, especially those pesky commish slots. I think the way to go is for people to nominate the candidates they want and we'll have some sort of vote (no voting for or nominating yourselves peeps, although I suppose expressing an interest in a certain position might be ok). Personally, I think Red, silentjim and DV would al make fine candidates for commish positions. I'd be willing to pitch in there too, but I stand by my thought that people shouldn't just volunteer for this shizz (not the commish slots anyway).

I think we might as well just confirm scully as our google docs guru and have done with it too. ;-D

Agreed and agreed. Thanks, Scully, for the props, and further for taking on the in-season task ;o).

I nominate Fenris for one of the commish slots. He has experience as a commish and has been a leader in guiding this league so far this off-season. Plus he expressed interest.
Irony is the strongest force in the universe.
barrec
College Captain
College Captain

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 88)

Postby Markos » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:51 pm

I agree at the end of the day someone has to be in charge. We could go with a commish by committee approach, but I'd be happy for Fenriss to take on the commish role singularly and below him we form an extended committee taking up roles similar to what I outlined above, essentially farming out some of the work. We expand the role of the commish as I wrote it to essentially lead the league, particularly during any major disputes or crisis moments, calling on the support and advice of the committee members as appropriate.

Second the nomination for Fenris as commish.

Also, second the nomination for Scully as Salary Cap Auditor. Seems to be on it already, with Barrec helping there too.

Lastly, I'll nominate Red to manage the forums. I think he did this last season so would be happy for him to carry on in this regard.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Postby scully19 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Should we third Fenris? If so, done.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scully19 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:16 am

Here's a taste of what I got going on:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... INswYXc%24

It should be much easier to look at, navigate, and especially control.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap