2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Amnesty Clause

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 am

I think I'm for the all or nothing approach (whichever approach we decide on). First, the league format itself has caused salary issues, not just mis-management, so that makes it a more general issue. As a result, I think it's important to make this more of a clean slate initiative rather than one that helps out a certain sort of manager. Keep in mind too that those now-absent GMs who signed some of those big deals that guys are lamenting were also the ones driving up the prices on a whole lot of players, so the effect really is league wide.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 246)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: The Committee Thread

Postby scully19 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Spreadsheet is done, check your teams please.

What I did is only include the players that you own or have rights for in the upcoming season, so even though the list says 2010 it isn't everything from 2010.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... INswYXc%24
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 192)

Postby silentjim » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:07 pm

scully19 wrote:Spreadsheet is done, check your teams please.

What I did is only include the players that you own or have rights for in the upcoming season, so even though the list says 2010 it isn't everything from 2010.

Looks pretty cool. I'm missing Ramon Sessions on my team, but I must admit I need to look back at the rules to figure out if I have the rights to him for next season.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 530)

Postby scully19 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:12 pm

You must have signed him for the whole season (start to finish) to hold his rights I'm pretty sure. I looked up most of the 0.25 contracts, though I may have messed up some along the way.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:16 pm

scully19 wrote:Spreadsheet is done, check your teams please.

My team is accurate.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scully19 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Made a new thread for it:

viewtopic.php?t=68533
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Blind Waiver System - Proposals Welcome

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Since there seems to be some interest in maintaining a level fo transparency to the bidding, I have a compromise system worked out that's still mostly blind, but not entirely.

Bid submission works the same way as full blind - bids are submitted via email before day X, and then on day X+1 those bids are revealed by the person in charge of the bidding system. On day X+1 everyone can see what the bids on the table are, and submit a revised bid if they wish, again via email. On day X+2 the winner is revealed. In the case of a tie, one more round of bidding might be necessary.

This a is a day longer than the last system I suggested, but it does give people a chance to see what other bids are on the table and respond. If we went to auctioning guys in batches of six, we could get a free agent list of 40 or 50 players handled in reasonable time (less than a month). After the bulk of FAs get auctioned off we could move to GM nominated threads for undrafted players. Since we're talking about the dregs that should take too long.

I do have a new (much simpler) tie break system hashed out, plus some other salary related tidbits, but those deserve their own thread IMO. I'll get them up soon.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Since there seems to be some interest in maintaining a level fo transparency to the bidding, I have a compromise system worked out that's still mostly blind, but not entirely.

Bid submission works the same way as full blind - bids are submitted via email before day X, and then on day X+1 those bids are revealed by the person in charge of the bidding system. On day X+1 everyone can see what the bids on the table are, and submit a revised bid if they wish, again via email. On day X+2 the winner is revealed. In the case of a tie, one more round of bidding might be necessary.

This a is a day longer than the last system I suggested, but it does give people a chance to see what other bids are on the table and respond. If we went to auctioning guys in batches of six, we could get a free agent list of 40 or 50 players handled in reasonable time (less than a month). After the bulk of FAs get auctioned off we could move to GM nominated threads for undrafted players. Since we're talking about the dregs that should take too long.

I do have a new (much simpler) tie break system hashed out, plus some other salary related tidbits, but those deserve their own thread IMO. I'll get them up soon.

I'll say I don't like this at all. There's no point in having the blind part then.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 530)

Bidding, Tie Breaks, Salary tidbits

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:41 pm

I've been working my way through the rules set for this league and I've come up with some tweeks and changes that ought to make things run more smoothly. Everyone wanted to change the tie break system, so I have a suggestion there, and I've tried to keep the spirit of the rules intact while making things easier, especially the bidding.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have a compromise bidding system for you guys to take a look at, which I'll explain in more detail here. This works in two parts, one for the FA draft and one for the in-season waiver bidding.

For the FA draft:

We'll take the top 60 or so free agents and arrange them by rank in groups of six (making ten groups). Those groups will contain a sample of players from across the rankings, so as to ensure that not too many tier-one free agents are up for auction at one time. So group one would contain players ranked 1, 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, and group two would contain players ranked 2, 12, 23, 34, 45, and 56, and so on and so forth. The main benefit of this sort of system is that everyone knows exactly which players will be up for auction when and GMs can manage their salary cap accordingly. The other method of seeding the FA auction is as follows, after ranking the players, you put player 1 into group 1, player 2 into group 10, player 3 into group 2, player 4 into group 9, and so on. This spreads the free agent talent a little more evenly across the auction, but is a little more book keeping to set up. I'm fine with either option here.

For in-season waiver bidding we'll go once a week. GMs can submit bids at any time during the week up until midnight on Friday, those bids will be revealed on Saturday, and then bid again on before midnight on Saturday, with a winner declared on Sunday (in time to add that player for the following week). Back to the auction mechanics....

Once you have the ten groups set up the auction dates can be planned out to start and finish whenever the league wants. Each block takes three days to auction off, so the FA draft takes a total of 30 days (or 20 using my old system, but whatever). Just to recap the FA bidding system...

On day one for group X players can submit bids for whichever of the six players they want to bid on. Those bids are submitted blind via email (which will be created especially for the league) and the bids will be checked by a panel of GMs, including the commish and probably at least one, hopefully two others (for transparency). Bids will be due by midnight of day one. Sometime between midnight and 7am of day two the bids will be posted here in a thread labeled FA Group X. Everyone can take a look at the first round of bidding and, if they wish, submit a second bid, which will be due before midnight on day 2. Note that only players who submitted bids on day 1 will be allowed to bid on day two. The results of those bids will be posted on day three and the winners for each players announced. In the event of a tie, we may decide a third day of bidding is necessary, or we can go straight to a tie breaker, which I'll explain in the next section. GMs can voice their opinion on the possible third round of bidding in this thread (we could go straight to tie break).

The keep things moving, I think that day three of the group currently up for auction should also be day one for the next group, but we can discuss this and see what people want.

Ok, the tie breaker. To start, a tie shall be considered to be any two or more bids that are within the minimum bid increment of the high bid on player X. The minimum increments will be as follows:

For contracts under 1M the minimum increment per year is 25K
For contracts between 1M and 5M the minimum increment per year is 100K
For contracts between 5M and 20M the minimum increment per year is 250K

The bids will done a little differently than last year, mostly to keep things nice and clean, and also to make them a little more realistic. A contract offer will be announced as a total, rather than as a fist year average. This ought to keep the math to a minimum and it also matches how NBA contracts are spoken about. Raises will set at a maximum of 10% for everyone, again, to keep things simple, and the percentage there is calculated from the first year's salary. So for example...

I bid 3 years at 3M with 10% raises for Player X. The bid looks like this...

Player X – 9.6M (3M + 3.3M + 3.3M)

The minimum bid increment for this contract is 100K (because it's between 1 and 5M) so another offer that totaled between 9.5M and 9.6M would be considered a tie (more on that in second).

I'd also like to introduce the idea of team option years, mostly to help combat the albatross factor of a risky signing. I propose that any three or four year deal be allowed to contain a team option for the final year, an option which allows the team to void the contract prior to that season if they wish. The penalty is that the team option year only counts for half it's value when comparing total salary offers during auction.

The tie break I've come up with is a simple system of modifiers, and the team with the biggest number wins. Here's the mods I have so far (others could be added if people see a glaring hole)

+1 Playoff team in previous season
+1 Home team for auctioned player
+1 Less years on contract
+1 No top 10 player at position
+2 No top 5 player at position (either this mod or the one above applies, but not both)
+1 For every other top ten player on the roster (not at the FAs position)

Those last two will be based on a list prepared prior to the auction and will be based off of BBM values for our scoring system, with the final list subject to league discussion and vote. Those top player modifiers are designed to simulate the 'playing time' factor in free agent decision making. If these mods don't decide a winner then the win will default to the home team, if applicable, or after that the team with the best regular season standing from the previous season. There's a lot of potential bonuses for having top players, but I think that's very appropriate and is a better gauge of FA interest than is standings from the previous season (in a fantasy league anyway). In order to determine 'at position' each team will need to designate 'starters' which will include just players on the above list and will only consider 5 positions – PG, SG, SF, PF, C.

As an example, my current team would (likely) look like this:

PG: Russel Westbrook (if resigned) Top 5
SG: Dwyane Wade – Top 5
SF:
PF: Chris Bosh – Top 10
C: Serge Ibaka – Top 10

So I'd have an advantage bidding on SFs, I'd be about even bidding on PF/Cs and at a disadvantage bidding on Gs. That makes sense to me.

Since we'll have a list of the top players by position, it won't be any extra work for people to include the tie-break mods right in their bids (except less years on contract), which makes everything very simple for the people managing the auction. For players who play multiple positions the bidding team can slot them in at the most advantageous position for them.

I like this option because it focuses on the players actually on the team, rather than standings, which I think is the way to go in a fantasy league that's a lot more fluid than the real NBA, and where teams can change dramatically from season to season.

So, let me know what you guys think. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 pm

silentjim wrote: I'll say I don't like this at all. There's no point in having the blind part then.

Sure there is, the auctions don't take a week to finish.

Personally, I'd prefer a straight blind system as well, but I'm also trying to cater to people who want a little more transparency. With two good options on the table I was going to suggest a vote on the subject.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap