2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: New Rules Summary Thread

Postby hi chi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:16 pm

I like the open bidding system. The blind bids just seem to be a bit too much of a pain in the but to me.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby silentjim » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:50 pm

I like the idea of blind bidding but agree its probably not realistic. Lets stick to what we know and work with that. I'm on board with pretty much everything stated above. I think we need just have a huge bench and not worry about who is active and who isn't and how many moved from inactive to active we get. Too much work to maintain and police.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:Yeah, I'm including the 3 inactive slots, so 9-3-3 would be the likely model, given people's obvious interest in to carrying injuries and rooks without undue harm. Essentially, each team would have 12 guys per week to do what they want with. That answers a lot of the questions about carrying injuries and rooks, but leaves the hard-core daily subs guys the option to roll with daily matchups the way they want. I think it sounds like a decent compromise.

Along with yourself, Barrec, hi chi and Scully all expressed support for the idea, which I proposed on page 3 of the "weekly lineups - INACTIVE LIST" thread . Some of the other guys like theRobsays and Red chimed in earlier with a discussion on games limits and reducing active roster slots, but that was before the 9-3-3 proposal so it's a bit unclear where they stand. Noone had expressed opposition, not until you did your 180 anyhow :-D

I'm not putting this to a vote, you can't push every change you don't like to a vote while letting others slide through. Right now, with the current level of activity, the lack of a commissioner, and a very tight timeframe unless we either come up with a better proposal us active guys can all agree on, perhaps using game limits like DV has suggested, then the 9-3-3 proposal has as much support as any other we are debating.[/quote]
I'm trying to be agreeable. I don't like the idea, but if that's what people want to do then I'm all for making work as well as possible - it possible for me to work with ideas that I don't really like. ;-) The same goes for weekly lineups and a host of other ideas that have either been suggested or actually implemented in this league. Like it or not the mechanism we used for inactive slots last year was hella clumsy and I really don't like it much. If people want to roll with the basic idea again then I think we should probably come up with something a little more elegant.

You can blow me about the vote thing too. :-b System changes get voted on regardless of whether or not there's a single commish, a panel of commishes, or a bunch of garden gnomes making the decision. You make it sound like I'm using the vote like a weapon against you personally but I'm not. I expect anything major to get voted on by whatever active managers we have at the time. That's the way Kal was doing things and I don't expect that to change. We not get very many votes on stuff right now, but it's still going to get done, for anyone's proposed suggestions. Call it majority opinion if that makes you feel better. Maybe we don't need an 'official' vote, but majority preference is what's going to determine how the league shapes up.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby Markos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 am

Agreeable, lmfao!

funniest thing Ive read on this forum in weeks.

cant even agree with your own proposal from july.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 7)

Roll Call

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:46 am

Now that there will be a season, who is in?

1. RocketsDWM
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roll Call

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:17 am

2. Redhopeful
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Postby silentjim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:35 am

3. silentjim
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

Postby Markos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:37 am

4. Markos
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby scully19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:50 am

scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 202)

Postby Markos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:18 am

Anyhow, back on topic, majority opinion has already indicated support for the inactive list, but alternative proposals such as simply extending the bench out 3 or 4 spots or switching to ESPN and implementing a weekly games limit are still being discussed. We need to debate these in an honest manner and get past this impasse of ongoing, circular debate if any of the alternatives to the inactive list are going to get traction.

So my first preference, like silentjim, is for a huge bench, of either 16 players (9+7) with international players exempt, or 18 (9+9) with international players included. This is simple, fair, and would allow us to keep an injured player and a couple of projects without getting

My next preference would be the 9-3-3 format where 3 bench players, named in the smacktalk box, are ineligible for active duty barring an injury to an active player, or not at all, for the week. GMs would simply need monitor their direct opponent, with an automatic penalty kicking in that outweighs the gains of infringing. This had vocal support earlier so I think it's fair to say this is the current default option if we can't forge a better idea in the coming days.

If yahoo! had a games limit I'd probably support a straight up games limit assuming it restricted games to the point 3 roster slots would essentially be inactive. But I'd rather the inconvenience of checking my direct opponent is honoring the inactive system each week than the eligibility, divisions, and any other concerns a jump to ESPN would bring. So the games limit at this stage would be my 3rd preference.

And I'm opposed to cutting active roster spots, particularly the G and F slots, on the grounds that it is neither an adequate solution to the problems we are trying to overcome, it changes the value of players we currently own, and most of all because there are 3 better alternatives.
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap