Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 387)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: New Rules Summary Thread

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

Opinion Round Up Time

1. Roster Makeup
1a. Inactive list with smack talk; For: Markos, dasein. Against: Fenris, SoTex, DV, Red

1b. Big bench and/or less active spots; For: Red, SoTex, Fenris, Scully, DV, Markos, dasein. Against: Nil.

CONCLUSION: The big bench theory is the clear winner. Lets forget about the other options and move forward with this understanding.

2. Bidding System
2a. Prefers blind bidding: silentjim, Fenris and Markos (Wow, they can agree! :-D )

2b. Prefers visible bidding: scully, rockets, hichi, DV, dasein

Don't care either way: SoTex

CONCLUSION: (EDIT) The majority seems to favor live bidding now. The system will need to be streamlined to fit into tight timeframe.

Seemingly unanimous support for...

- Scraping the soft cap. Hard cap to be either 72.5 or 80 M.
- 2nd round picks in the rookie draft are non guaranteed contracts.

Let me know if I've misrepresented your view and I'll amend this. ;-D
Last edited by dasein on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:57 am

Given what I've just said, I'll keep the ball rolling. I most respectfully and formally propose that:

1. Each team's roster be made up of 8 active spots and 8 bench spots.
2. The active spots be: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, C, F/C, Utl
3. The minimum roster size for the regular season be 11
4. The draft rights for international rookies who have not yet started playing in the NBA may be held without taking up a roster spot.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby So-Tex » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 am

dasein wrote:4. The draft rights for international rookies who have not yet started playing in the NBA may be held without taking up a roster spot.

So I'm assuming then, that an international player's contract will not count against a manager's cap space until they come over and actually join their respective team?

Just want to be clear on that point. :-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 183)

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 am

So-Tex wrote:
dasein wrote:4. The draft rights for international rookies who have not yet started playing in the NBA may be held without taking up a roster spot.

So I'm assuming then, that an international player's contract will not count against a manager's cap space until they come over and actually join their respective team?

Just want to be clear on that point. :-D

Yup. That was my intention. ;-D
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:38 am

dasein wrote:Given what I've just said, I'll keep the ball rolling. I most respectfully and formally propose that:

1. Each team's roster be made up of 8 active spots and 8 bench spots.
2. The active spots be: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, C, F/C, Utl
3. The minimum roster size for the regular season be 11
4. The draft rights for international rookies who have not yet started playing in the NBA may be held without taking up a roster spot.

I'm on board with all of these suggestions.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 am

dasein wrote:Opinion Round Up Time

1. Roster Makeup
1a. Inactive list with smack talk; For: Markos, dasein. Against: Fenris, SoTex, DV, Red

1b. Big bench and/or less active spots; For: Red, SoTex, Fenris, Scully, DV, Markos, dasein. Against: Nil.

CONCLUSION: The big bench theory is the clear winner. Lets forget about the other options and move forward with this understanding.

2. Bidding System
2a. Prefers blind bidding: DV, silentjim, Fenris and Markos (Wow, they can agree! :-D )

2b. Prefers visible bidding: scully, rockets, hichi

Don't care either way: dasein, SoTex

CONCLUSION: This one is still undecided, so we need to concentrate on reaching a concensus here. Personally, I'm for whatever runs the quickest, which seems to be blind bidding. I don't have much experience with either option though, so will bow to the wisdom of others. ;-)

Seemingly unanimous support for...

- Scraping the soft cap. Hard cap to be either 72.5 or 80 M.
- 2nd round picks in the rookie draft are non guaranteed contracts.

Let me know if I've misrepresented your view and I'll amend this. ;-D

I just don't see how blind bidding is the quickest. Seems like a lot of mechanisms to go through (or atleast from the system that was proposed before - I forget by whom) for a bid to become finalized. Open bidding is simple and concise. I think it is silly and a whole lot more work to send bids to an email address and then someone to read those bids and then post the winner on the draft board. Let's move forward with open bidding and re-open the discussion next off-season.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 146)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:46 am

FWIW, and future reference, I could care less about the format of the bidding, though I think blind is slightly better.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby Markos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 am

How about a cap at $75m? Pretty much splits the difference and it's a nice round number.

Regarding the bidding, we could do both, with the initial bid determining what system we use. Once the first bid/post is made, everyone else has to follow suit.

For example, if Scully wants to bid on someone he can just place a bid like before, and the winner is whoever is left holding the highest bid for ie. 24 hours. But if DV wants to start an auction and prefers the private format, he simply posts the players name and "private auction" or "blind bidding" Then anyone else wanting to bid on the player sends their emails in and after the deadline the results are released.

The only downside is for private bidding you must announce that you've made or will make a private bid.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 6)

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 am

I say choose one or the other. Doing both just makes it more confusing. The thing I liked about Fenris' proposal was the clear timeframe that it imposed. There was none of this last minute bidding and deadline extension. My main issue with it was that (it seemed to me) to promote overpaying for guys. I think thats easy to get around though. Just make it so the winner only has to pay the 2nd highest bid plus the minimum increment.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap