2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Bidding, Tie Breaks, Salary tidbits

Postby 4ndrew » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Hmmk - you could go for a compromise. Instead of the winner paying the bid-increment amount above the next highest bidder, divide the difference between their bid and the next lowest in half, and add that to the lower bid. For example, you bid $1 mil for Jar Jar Binks, I bid $4 mil, I pay $1 mil + ($4 mil - $1 mil)/2 = $2.5mil.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Markos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm still opposed. Aside complicating things it'll have the effect of inflating bids, because guys will bid knowing if they win their offer will be reduced, and if they lose they'll have ramped up the contract of a rival. I understand where you're coming from with the autobid idea, but I just think we we should keep it simple, and this is actually one of the best things about a private auction, you have to guess what your rivals are prepared, or able, to pay, and if you're prepared to go a little further.

But most of all, seeing a rival offer $5m per season more than was necessary to nab a guy is actually a half the fun :-D

Incidentally, I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but I think GM's should be able to use their capspace to clear buyout debts owed for future seasons. So if I signed some scrub for $6m x 4 and now want him gone, I can buy him out at 50% ($3m x 4 = 12m) Aside the minimum $3m I have to give him this season I can use my remaining cap space to clear or reduce the debt this season. This means guys who bid against themselves can take their lumps and get their cap space back quickly enough.

Probably need a few more guys to chime in here to determine which way we go
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Re: New Rules Summary Thread

Postby silentjim » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Let's do 75 million cap and the same bidding system from before. Too many changes won't allow us to get done on time I don't think.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby silentjim » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Markos wrote:I'm still opposed. Aside complicating things it'll have the effect of inflating bids, because guys will bid knowing if they win their offer will be reduced, and if they lose they'll have ramped up the contract of a rival. I understand where you're coming from with the autobid idea, but I just think we we should keep it simple, and this is actually one of the best things about a private auction, you have to guess what your rivals are prepared, or able, to pay, and if you're prepared to go a little further.

But most of all, seeing a rival offer $5m per season more than was necessary to nab a guy is actually a half the fun :-D

Incidentally, I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but I think GM's should be able to use their capspace to clear buyout debts owed for future seasons. So if I signed some scrub for $6m x 4 and now want him gone, I can buy him out at 50% ($3m x 4 = 12m) Aside the minimum $3m I have to give him this season I can use my remaining cap space to clear or reduce the debt this season. This means guys who bid against themselves can take their lumps and get their cap space back quickly enough.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of changing winning bids to something less. Managers need to stick with decisions they've made and I feel like giving the amnesty clause going into this season already is kind of a do over.

We should probably set a deadline for amnesty in the next few days.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Re: Roll Call

Postby So-Tex » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 pm

dasein wrote:so assuming we can coax snake back in, the options are find 2 more managers or cut too teams. The first option would be preferable but we could probably roll with 14 if it comes to that.

+1 on that!

DVauthrin wrote:12. 4ndrew(taking over Kal's team as of now):

4ndrew wrote:Ok, DV's twisted my arm enough, so rather than seeing my elbow pop out of joint I've decided to give this a go. Please bear with me if/when I make rookie mistakes or ask dumb questions :)

4ndrew, dude, you don't know the HALF of it! :-B This is my second year here, but I'm sure I can still muster up a couple dozen dumb questions to give you some company! :-b

Welcome aboard! ;-D
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Re: New Rules Summary Thread

Postby So-Tex » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:52 pm

silentjim wrote:Let's do 75 million cap and the same bidding system from before. Too many changes won't allow us to get done on time I don't think.

I originally preferred the 80M mark, but I can do 75 no problem. Just don't like the ".5", or the "72" in "72.5".

And although I'm still good with either option, I agree with jim - keep it simple. However, I would amend that to say whichever option we decide to roll with, we simplify it as much as possible. Or, like jim alludes to, we may not make it on time to meet the league's start date. :-o
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Using cap space to buy out waived contracts is a brilliant idea that I think we should definitely use.

In general I'd prefer the blind bidding to any of the other option on the table too, but people could have guessed that's where I stand.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Markos wrote:I'm still opposed. Aside complicating things it'll have the effect of inflating bids, because guys will bid knowing if they win their offer will be reduced, and if they lose they'll have ramped up the contract of a rival. I understand where you're coming from with the autobid idea, but I just think we we should keep it simple, and this is actually one of the best things about a private auction, you have to guess what your rivals are prepared, or able, to pay, and if you're prepared to go a little further.

But most of all, seeing a rival offer $5m per season more than was necessary to nab a guy is actually a half the fun :-D[/quote]

If we have blind bidding I have no problem making top bid keep the salary they paid. That said, after more thought, I'm more in favor of using the previous bidding system. It's extremely nice to be able to see where your money is going and how to plan accordingly(adding bids, dropping bids)

If the majority wants blind bidding i'll go along with it, but i'm formally changing my vote. What we would have to do is either change the 24 hour requirement to hold the winning bid, or list(create threads) for almost all the players at the very beginning. that way if people keep getting sniped, all the free agents were listed so we could get through the process in no more than 2 weeks. If it ends up being a re start, you'd have to list a certain number of players a day, and either use the 24 hr rule or set a hard deadline for those bids to finish.

Markos wrote:Incidentally, I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but I think GM's should be able to use their capspace to clear buyout debts owed for future seasons. So if I signed some scrub for $6m x 4 and now want him gone, I can buy him out at 50% ($3m x 4 = 12m) Aside the minimum $3m I have to give him this season I can use my remaining cap space to clear or reduce the debt this season. This means guys who bid against themselves can take their lumps and get their cap space back quickly enough.

I like this, but are we moving to 50% across the board for waived salaries, or keeping the 75% in year 1, 50% in subsequent years. Either way it will be nice to make it only a one year hit if you can afford it.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
... after more thought, I'm more in favor of using the previous bidding system. It's extremely nice to be able to see where your money is going and how to plan accordingly(adding bids, dropping bids)

If the majority wants blind bidding i'll go along with it, but i'm formally changing my vote. What we would have to do is either change the 24 hour requirement to hold the winning bid...

I think I'm in this camp too. I'm not really a fan of the blind bidding with the flavor that seems to be favoured here. So with DV and me switching votes to open bidding, that probably gives it the majority.

If the only real problem with last year's system was the 24hr extention. How about, each FA has a set auction deadline, with 5 or 10 minute extensions. This way, you can't sneak in a bid at 11.59 and win it straight off. It does mean that interested bidders have to be online around the deadline, but if we set the deadlines for Nth/Sth friendly times it should be ok given our compressed schedule. We could also stagger a number of auctions quite closely around the NSFT, and publish the auction times for each free agent in advance, so managers know when the guys they want will be up.

And I'm ok with being able to buy out players using cap space. I think the buy out would still have to be 75% of the 1st year, 50% of the 2nd etc...and for this reason I doubt it would be used all that much, but it could still be a useful addition to the rules.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

Re: Roll Call

Postby dasein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I'll ask a couple of guys from my other leagues that I think are pretty reliable if they want to take over from dch17 and coffeman.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 435)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap