ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Auction discussion

Postby ardilla » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:00 pm

I understand frustration at a bid being invalid, but for those of us who can't see edits it is problematic to allow edits. I could decide not to bid based on a figure that is changed later which I would have out-bid. And does the 24H go from the original bid or the edit? Does the time displayed on the post refer to the edit or original post?

If you make a bid, check within 24 hours to see whether it was marked invalid and if so, post a new bid? Exercise caution when bidding by checking your math and display the ability to average 3 or 4 figures? Not so difficult.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby silentjim » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:43 pm

ardilla wrote:I understand frustration at a bid being invalid, but for those of us who can't see edits it is problematic to allow edits. I could decide not to bid based on a figure that is changed later which I would have out-bid. And does the 24H go from the original bid or the edit? Does the time displayed on the post refer to the edit or original post?

If you make a bid, check within 24 hours to see whether it was marked invalid and if so, post a new bid? Exercise caution when bidding by checking your math and display the ability to average 3 or 4 figures? Not so difficult.

My point is, if it's so simple, why have there been so many invalid offers?

I also don't need to see the edits. Someone isn't going to be able to edit a bid so he lands Chris Paul for $5, even though there are ten bids after that for much more. So far almost all of edits have been from typing errors, math errors, or misunderstanding the rules. No on has actually wanted to change their bid amount yet after posting it.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 727)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Alright all, let's try and get on the same page. No one is trying to cheat the other guy around here so I also favor in trying to work out "this experiment" on more friendly terms. It's not worth losing managers over it as both Kal and I are are really tired of dealing with problems around here. I'll put the Billups thread back up, Scully you want him - outbid Nene then.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 683)

Re: I'm out of this league

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:56 pm

greyone wrote:Are we pausing the auction? If we do, I suggest, resetting all the bids clocks for 24 hours once the replacement is found.

I'm pausing the bidding for today. Let's hope we don't need yet another replacement.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ardilla » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:58 pm

I can only guess there are so many errors because people are doing this for fun and don't feel like reading the rules, which I understand. This is just a hobby for enjoyment, no reason to study an encyclopedic rule post.

I am also doing it for fun, but I am probably more of a nerd than others so I have read and absorbed all of the rules. The rules could be simpler but I haven't had any problem following them.

I worry about issues with changing # of years on offers and the time stamp of the post when it comes to edits. It is easy to not edit a post and to just post another offer that I don't see why anyone would have to edit.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:13 pm

ardilla wrote:I worry about issues with changing # of years on offers and the time stamp of the post when it comes to edits. It is easy to not edit a post and to just post another offer that I don't see why anyone would have to edit.

Sure it's easy but let's just understand Nene's point of view. First, he didn't know to make another post. Two, he's fed up - couple of bad bids and now this editing thing (which he wasn't even aware of).
RedHopeful

Postby ardilla » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 pm

I hope not either. Clearly a lot of people want you in the league Nene and I hope you can find a way to enjoy it.

As for locking the bidding, do you have a plan for rules regarding reinstatement of bidding? 24 hours from when you start it again? I can live with this though I lose precious seconds on my Murphy and Duncan bids.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ardilla » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:15 pm

I don't have any problem with making an exception because Nene didn't understand the rule, but I think it is a reasonable rule going forward.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Don't worry about the restart of the bidding...I'll make it fair. I'll announce when I'm going to restart them and then we'll start the 24 hour clock on ALL of them again. Some people have gotten used to checking the auctions during certain time of the day/etc.

Doesn't it figure a communist grinds this thing to a halt? :-X :-D ;-)
RedHopeful

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap