2010-2011 Season Stuff - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

2010-2011 Season Stuff

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: ***draft will start next week***

Postby scully19 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:37 am

It's cool, I'm not underhanding the plan, just making sure I fully understand so that any confusions get ironed out now so that we don't have to face them in the future.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 202)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:42 am

Hmm. I'll admit it didn't even occur to me that you wouldn't be seeding the players in over time. Most auction drafts have a gradient of players in each auction block - mostly so there's a reason to hold off on blowing your wad early. Oh well, it is what it is now.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby KalElen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:10 am

Fenris-77 wrote:Hmm. I'll admit it didn't even occur to me that you wouldn't be seeding the players in over time. Most auction drafts have a gradient of players in each auction block - mostly so there's a reason to hold off on blowing your wad early. Oh well, it is what it is now.

i'm not sure i understand this post. nothing is set in stone, if you come forward with better system i will gladly accept it. i have never participated in auction style draft before, so i'm suggesting solutions that make sense to me. if you have some experience with auctions you are more then welcomed to chip in
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ardilla » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:57 pm

For my part, I completely ignored thinking about prolonging anyone's wad when suggesting ideas for the draft. Sounds like something to manage personally.
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:56 pm

:D No. Most aution drafts I've seen have a gradient of players in each auction block. So instead of having the top 8 guys in the first block, you 'd have a 1st ronder, a 3rd rounder, a 5th rounder, ect ect. So the top guys are sprad out over the entire draft, not concentrated in the first 5 days. I think the blocks are normally seeded something like this... (assuming you know how many auction blocks you have, in this case we'll assume the answer is 24 because the math is easy)

Block 1 - Chris Paul (1.01)
Dwight Howard (3.01)
John Salmons (5.01)

Block 2 - Dwayne Wade (1.03)
Andre Iguodala (3.03)
Al Horford (5.03)

Block 24 - Kevin Durant (1.04)
Joe Johnson (3.04)
Nene Hilario (5.04)

Block 25 - Lebron James (1.02)
Kevin Martin (3.02)
Baron Davis (5.02)

And so on and so forth. Each block gets auctioned in two day intervals. The first day everyone bids as normal, and if there's an uncontested high bid, then that player goes to the high bid. If there's a tie, then on the second day each GM has a chance to make a second offer, again, with the high offer taking the player. Ties on the second day cold be broken with the system you have in place. You Culd have a nomination period after the blocks where any Gm may nominate one player per day to be bid on, which would take care of whatever player from the deep end people wanted to draft.

What this system does is to add an element of strategy, because there will be some very good players available late GMs really need to husband their resources and plan. With all the best players going early it'll be a short free for all and then a lot of days that don't matter much. The system you've got in place will work fine, it's just not as strategic as I was hoping. I'll draft either way.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KalElen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:00 pm

your system is interesting, but i think that everyone would prefer to secure their franchise cornerstone as soon as possible, before they go around bidding on lesser players. those lesser players need to fit in with franchise player, not the other way around. starting from the top achieves that, it gives you team building strategy similar to snake draft in the sense that you are building around top talent, but take out randomness of the snake draft's order of picking.
i think it will be interesting till the end. we need around 200 players to go in this auction and i think that good players with good value can be found even in 100-150 area. after that everyone will go after their own sleepers.
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:51 pm

I understand why you wanted to top load things. I'm fine either way, it just wasn't what I was expecting.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fenris-77 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:05 pm

As far as the actual format for the auction, I'd recommend something like the following..

Use the basic layout Kal suggests:

bid format:
average salary (year one salary [+ year two salary + ...])
example
11M (10M + 11M +12M)

Add the players name at the top as well. Any bids to match or beat should quote previous bids so that we can all more easily keep track of the bidding for each player. Like so..

First bid:

LeBron James
20M 4 years (20M [+20M + 20M +20M])

Second Bid

LeBron James

21.25M 4 years (25M [+20M + 20M +20M])

This should prevent too much scrolling when we're reviewing bid history.

Does that make sense to everyone?
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KalElen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:As far as the actual format for the auction, I'd recommend something like the following..

Use the basic layout Kal suggests:

bid format:
average salary (year one salary [+ year two salary + ...])
example
11M (10M + 11M +12M)

Add the players name at the top as well. Any bids to match or beat should quote previous bids so that we can all more easily keep track of the bidding for each player. Like so..

First bid:

LeBron James

Second Bid

LeBron James

21.25M 4 years (25M [+20M + 20M +20M])

This should prevent too much scrolling when we're reviewing bid history.

Does that make sense to everyone?

i was thinking we open new thread for every player. that's the easiest way to do the bidding. after 1st of the top 8 is claimed 1st person to log on can post a new thread with 9th player's name as the tittle. red and i will merge all the closed threads into one after the appropriate player is claimed. so we will have 8 active threads and one big thread containing all inactive threads
my kung fu is the best
KalElen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ardilla » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:19 pm

It will exponentially increase the size of the topic (more scrolling because as the bid goes on, each post will become larger and contain every other post), create extra work for me when bidding (quoting, etc), and add another change to the draft process, so I am against it. If finding draft history ends up being a huge pain in the butt we could try this later? Or periodically post an update like that in the bid topics?

Are we starting tomorrow or Monday?
ardilla
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap