Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby dasein » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:30 am

The current document can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... pCaQWAlq8c

EDIT (10/12):
-Under Veteran Contracts it is now made explicit that annual raises are of a fixed amount: BYS.r
-emphasised the fact that tie breaks are applied sequentially.

EDIT (14/12):
- Penalties section added
- Salary restrictions for trade removed
- RFA rule clarified; rookies become RFA after final year of rookie contract.
- Rules around team options (for rookies), and partially-guaranteed contracts (for veterans) updated and clarified.

EDIT (18/12):
- Added new section: 2.1 Cap Holds. Makes explicit the illegality of bids that take you over the cap in the current year.

EDIT (5/1/2012):
- Emphasised that Partially Guaranteed Contract Buyouts and Team Options can only be excercised during the offseason.

EDIT (17/1/2012)
3.2- swedish rounding to be used to round salaries to nearest 0.01M
4.2 - Teams with full rosters may win an auction before dropping a player. 24hr limit to do so.
4.4 - The above does not apply to weekly contracts. Teams must drop then add.
5.0 - Teams cannot sign a player they had dropped during the same season.

EDIT (12/03/2012)
4.4 Weekly Contracts section clarified.

EDIT (27/09/2012)
4.4 Weekly Contracts section deleted. This mechanism has been scrapped.

EDIT (2/8/2013)
3.1 Clarified that straight drop rules are used when a 1st round rookie is dropped prior to the TO year.

EDIT (11/8/2013)
3.1 2nd round rookie contracts are now [0.5M], [0.5M], [0.5M].
5.3 The buy out for year 3 of 4-yr contracts is now 25% of the combined 3rd and 4th year salaries.
5.5 Clarification around dropping retired players.

EDIT (3/9/2013)
3.1 Clarification that RFA rights holders are allowed to restructure contract when matching.
3.2 Max contract value removed. Now no maximum BYS.
3.3 Bird Rights extended to allow in auction matching in addition to 15% raises.
4.2 The ability to match previous bid if team lacks the cap space to beat it has been removed. This in combination with the removal of max contract values means there is no need for tie breakers, which have also been removed.
4.2 Minimum bid increments for FA auctions revised.
Last edited by dasein on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: DRAFT RULES

Postby dasein » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:48 am

Here are a few things that I've either changed or omitted, or not included for various reasons. I put them here to draw attention because some will require league action or consent.

Papa Bears

1. I haven't filled in the detail for Team Options, because I'm not aware that we have agreed how to do it.
2. Dito for Injured Player Exemption. The current rule is a FBOC, to borrow a phrase from fenris. We haven't discussed how to do it though.
3. I've kinda invented a system for veteran contracts. Those who care should pay special attention here and make sure they're happy.
4. Do we want to uses best team or worst team wins the 3rd tie break?
5. Those who care should pay special attention to the weekly contract laws. I've never used them, so not sure what rules around them should be. Do we even want to keep these? It seems like a pain to keep track of them?

Baby Bears

1. Do we need a minimum roster spend? I've currently ignored this and just put a min roster size.
2. I’ve chosen to scrap the concept of restricted free agents entirely. This OK?
3. I've made the salary restrictions for trades the same as new NBA CBA. This makes trading easier.
4. I've defined bird rights as contract lasting 2 or more years because the last definition was too much work to keep track of. This ok?
5. Got rid of ‘you have to use 1st round pick every 2 years’ rule. Pain to keep track off, and new rules offer strong incentives to keep rookies.
6. Are rookie contracts currently too high? I've left as is but maybe we want to lower them.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 am

Everything looks good.

I would use best team as the 3rd tiebreaker, and I think the rookie scale is fine. I don't think we should scratch restricted free agency as its another incentive to value draft picks. Also, you should be able to use a player on two consecutive 7 day contracts(and I'd change the time they have to spend on waivers to 24 hrs).
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby So-Tex » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:04 am

I'm going to look over these some more in the morning, but I just had a thought regarding the whole 7 day contract thing: something I would like to see is the ability to sign a guy to a permanent contract, if during the 7 days, a manager decides he wants to keep the guy on his roster. Maybe set up a rule of some sorts, where If a manager decides to keep a 7 day player permanently, he must offer up to 5 times the salary (is this even a realistic number?) from the initial 7 day bid, provided he is under the cap. And/or he can not drop said player for the remainder of the season. Or, if he does drop the player, the entire contract counts against his cap, not just a % of it.

It just seems to me that in real life, a team has the option of signing a guy they pick up on a 10 day contract. And I'm sure that any player under contract making the league minimum, is probably making a WHOLE lot more than a guy on a ten day deal.

I just found it frustrating last season that I could pick up someone like Humphries after only one huge game, and after 7 days, and several more huge games, he's available for cherry picking by guys who might have the ability to outbid me in one shot.
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Postby dasein » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:00 pm

DVauthrin wrote: I don't think we should scratch restricted free agency as its another incentive to value draft picks.

Maybe I don't understand the restricted FA concept as it was applied in the past, but I don't see how it makes draft picksmore valuable. I thought it would actually mean the opposite, because it provides an opportunity for other teams to swoop in and offer contracts to your guys.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 am

dasein wrote:
DVauthrin wrote: I don't think we should scratch restricted free agency as its another incentive to value draft picks.

Maybe I don't understand the restricted FA concept as it was applied in the past, but I don't see how it makes draft picksmore valuable. I thought it would actually mean the opposite, because it provides an opportunity for other teams to swoop in and offer contracts to your guys.

In restricted free agency, the market sets your players price for you and you get to decide whether to match the other owners contract where you automatically win the player.

For example someone other than snake offers 20 million per year for curry. he gets the right to match that contract, and he automatically wins curry back. let's say harden goes for 6 million over 3 years, scully gets the right to match harden's salary at those numbers and if he does, he gets him back at that price without ever having to bid.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4ndrew » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:01 am

So-Tex wrote:I'm going to look over these some more in the morning, but I just had a thought regarding the whole 7 day contract thing: something I would like to see is the ability to sign a guy to a permanent contract, if during the 7 days, a manager decides he wants to keep the guy on his roster. Maybe set up a rule of some sorts, where If a manager decides to keep a 7 day player permanently, he must offer up to 5 times the salary (is this even a realistic number?) from the initial 7 day bid, provided he is under the cap. And/or he can not drop said player for the remainder of the season. Or, if he does drop the player, the entire contract counts against his cap, not just a % of it.

This makes a lot of sense to me. The GM who picks up a player that then breaks out should have the chance to keep them on the roster, provided they sign them before the 7 days are up.
4ndrew
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby dasein » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:13 am

DVauthrin wrote:
dasein wrote:

In restricted free agency, the market sets your players price for you and you get to decide whether to match the other owners contract where you automatically win the player.

For example someone other than snake offers 20 million per year for curry. he gets the right to match that contract, and he automatically wins curry back. let's say harden goes for 6 million over 3 years, scully gets the right to match harden's salary at those numbers and if he does, he gets him back at that price without ever having to bid.

Ok, I understand this now, but I still don't see how having this is more beneficial to the owner than not having RFAs. With no RFAs, snake gets to keep Curry at a guaranteed low price for 4 years, and doesn't have to worry about conserving cap space to prevent others from poaching him.

Maybe having only the 4th year as RFA (rather than 3rd and 4th) would be ok, although it seems like rule 'fat' to me.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:01 pm

I think that restricted free agency is an important part of a salary cap league. It gives teams a solid chance to retain their own breakout players. Adding a hard cap cuts back on how impactful this for the big spenders, which I'm fine with.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby Markos » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 am

Isn't the first tiebreaker problematic? In that, if I were to offer ie. Durant 2 year max deal I would beat out everyone who had offered him a 4 year max deal. Or have I missed something whereby additional seasons adds value to a contract?

Aside that I think it's pretty darn good.
Eradicating Marijuana one blunt at a time
Markos
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to FBC Salary Cap