OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: Fenris-77, silentjim, RedHopeful, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby dasein » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:14 am

If there is a problem, it's that this is a pretty cheesy way to pick up good players.

And I don't think the change would add any complexity as DR suggests. It's a very simple thing to police.

My vote would be for the change, but like I said, my feelings aren't strong.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 387)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:26 am

The GM with the injured player needs to make a value judgement when his guy goes down. Maybe it's worth riding out the year because there's solid contract value beyond that and maybe it's not worth it, but the fact of the matter is that the original GM is the guy making the first decision. The fact that someone else can then bid on that player after he's cut isn't really the issue. If the player is good enough he'll accrue an appropriate level of contract bids even if the original GM can't participate. There are enough teams with cap space most years that I don't see a really good player going for the minimum very often (if at all). I don't think we need to let the original GM participate in the bidding though - if he wanted his guy he should have just kept him and sucked up having a injured player on his bench. That's how dynasty leagues work. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby nsink » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:54 am

That'd be assuming he is on a muli year deal.
If for example he is on expiring and Injured for rest of season, why keep him? But in our ur rent scenario if u cut him someone else can offer a two year deal u can't.
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 115)

Postby nsink » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:00 am

nsink wrote:That'd be assuming he is on a muli year deal.
If for example he is on expiring and Injured for rest of season, why keep him? But in our ur rent scenario if u cut him someone else can offer a two year deal u can't.

Edit ur rent to current
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 115)

Postby dcdoorknob » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm kinda repeating thoughts here, but yeah. If a guy is on the last year of his deal and gets injured for the year in mid-season, there is really no reason to keep him (assuming it's not a max guy so bird rights mean basically nothing). But many teams don't just keep extra millions in cap space throughout the whole season, so if the player then gets bid on, it's going to be less competitive and that player is going to make less then he would have simply by waiting to get bid on in the offseason, when contracts have expired and many more teams have capspace. The player is not making a sound financial decision at all by "choosing" to sign a discounted deal when he's injured. Lou Williams is on a 0.4 mil deal this year, as he was signed on a 0.4, 0.4 deal last season after his injury. He could make what, 5-7 times that in FA this offseason?
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 86)

Postby silentjim » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:39 pm

dcdoorknob wrote:I'm kinda repeating thoughts here, but yeah. If a guy is on the last year of his deal and gets injured for the year in mid-season, there is really no reason to keep him (assuming it's not a max guy so bird rights mean basically nothing). But many teams don't just keep extra millions in cap space throughout the whole season, so if the player then gets bid on, it's going to be less competitive and that player is going to make less then he would have simply by waiting to get bid on in the offseason, when contracts have expired and many more teams have capspace. The player is not making a sound financial decision at all by "choosing" to sign a discounted deal when he's injured. Lou Williams is on a 0.4 mil deal this year, as he was signed on a 0.4, 0.4 deal last season after his injury. He could make what, 5-7 times that in FA this offseason?

I know we've tried to make things real, but at the same time this is fantasy and in the NBA players aren't dropped or bought out like we do. That being said, I think the less competitive bidding during the season is all part of the game. If you're hurt or a free agent the limited cap space during the season is going to hurt your overall value. Not to mention there's so many other reasons a free agent signs that we don't really take into account.

I think not allowing bids on an injured player is bad idea. I think it benefits certain teams and penalizes others, which most rules changes I'd like to think help all.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 632)

Postby dcdoorknob » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:41 pm

silentjim wrote:[
I think not allowing bids on an injured player is bad idea. I think it benefits certain teams and penalizes others, which most rules changes I'd like to think help all.

I don't really see this honestly. I think as it is now it is helping certain teams and penalizing others. I think the proposed change would make things more equitable across all teams. The only way the rule change would penalize some is in comparison to the current rules where the team can no longer get a guy at an artificially cheap price for the next year. I'm personally fine with that.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 86)

Postby scully19 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm for sure with the side of not picking up an injured player. No professional player would sign a really cheap contract because they were hurt so that they can sign right away. It's certainly not realistic.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 194)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:10 pm

scully19 wrote:I'm for sure with the side of not picking up an injured player. No professional player would sign a really cheap contract because they were hurt so that they can sign right away. It's certainly not realistic.

Yeah, but it's also true that a good player who happened to be injured would get better offers from other teams if he were available for contract offers. I really don't see the problem here - if someone gets a good player on the cheap the fault lies with the rest of GMs who decided against getting in on a cheap deal for a good player. The GM who dropped the guy certainly has nothing to complain about. As far as reality goes real NBA teams don't waive good players who happen to get injured, so the problem here is one generated by the league habits and rules, not a pre-existing 'lack of realism'.

I'll say it again - the real issue here is our bidding and auction system, along with the bird rights rules. Teams should thinking harder about keeping that guy in order to resign him if he gets injured in the last year of his deal.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 297)

Postby dasein » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:08 am

Fenris-77 wrote: I really don't see the problem here - if someone gets a good player on the cheap the fault lies with the rest of GMs who decided against getting in on a cheap deal for a good player. The GM who dropped the guy certainly has nothing to complain about.

This is a little spurious. Getting the cheap player in season has more to do with other GMs not having the roster spot or cap space available than it does simply deciding not to bid. The GM who dropped the guy could complain that he did so because he was wasting (an expiring) 3M on him, yet he isn't allowed to join the new bidding at 0.5M. All of this is only relevant to expiring contracts of course.

If I wanted to defend the status quo, I'd start with pointing out that players who blow up unexpectedly- like SANDERS! last year- are subject to the same market limitations. You could then mention that having a little cap and open spots up your sleeve for the season is a strategic decision.

Fenris-77 wrote:Teams should thinking harder about keeping that guy in order to resign him if he gets injured in the last year of his deal.

No secret that bird rights are piss-weak as is. Something else we could look at.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 387)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap