OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby dcdoorknob » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 am

I don't have basically any of the problems with the current system that Fenris seems to have.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 125)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 am

The original system I proposed had the FAs snaked into groups, all of which were to be posted prior to the auction start. So each group has, say, one or two top tier guys (relative to the FA class) and a descending bunch of filler (probably not more than 6 or so guys per block). Each group gets a three day blind bidding period. The first day anyone puts in a bid of whatever level. Those bids are made public the next morning and anyone can submit a revised bid, which are made public the following morning. After the second round of bidding the top three bids (or whatever) go into round three where they get one more chance to submit a revised bid. After day three the high bid wins.

With that system you can overlap rounds a little, but nothing finalizes at the same time so no one gets stuck. Everyone also knows exactly when every FA will come up for auction, so they can save cap space for future rounds at their discretion, plus are able to drop out of current rounds any time before the end without penalty.

The method my other league uses requires a fairly high-end excel form for bidding and there's no way we'd get it implemented this year. It works, but it would have to be a down-the-road idea.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:02 am

dcdoorknob wrote:I don't have basically any of the problems with the current system that Fenris seems to have.

Why would you? You have nothing but expiring deals and good players on solid contracts. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:07 am

OK, so that's off the table for practical reasons.

How about raising the Max salary, or scrapping it completely then? It shouldn't matter for this year, but would be good to have this in place before Durant and LeBron hit the open market.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 am

I don't think raising the max salary actually fixes any issues, and probably creates a couple more, but I'm not actually opposed to it. Owning LeBron for closer to 30M rather than 20M isn't going to win anyone any league titles.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hi chi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:03 pm

I also have no real issues with the current FA process. I think it is a fair way to go about things and rather unique. I would like to think that minimum salary increases at the start and midway through an auction become less and less of an issue over time as guys get used to the system. I also think the 24 hour window isn't all that bad, but wouldn't mind a 12 hour window. NOthing wrong with forcing guys to be more active and on the ball (I don't like the 48 hour window during the season and think it should be shorter). I do enjoy our bidding process and the time it takes. It is a fun start to the fantasy season.

As for the issue of over lapping bids, I don't see it as a huge issue if you are on the ball. It will happen from time to time no matter what you do and that is annoying, but it is a simple fix and doesn't require a completely new system. A new rule stating that if a GM is bidding on two players at once and wins both within a 24 hour window they have the right to pull the last bid submitted (they do not get to choose which bid, it must be the last bid put forth). In that case the auction then reopens with the next highest bid as the starting point.

I have been saddled with crap contracts since joining the league and this is the first year that I have been able to really participate in bidding for players. However, I have watched closely each year on almost every player being bid on. I like how our system works. I think it is different from all other leagues and that is what makes this league fun. If it were the usual process for salary cap leagues I think it would take some of the fun out this league. Just my 2 cents.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:43 pm

dasein wrote:OK, so that's off the table for practical reasons.
None of the stuff we've been talking about is reasonably on the table for this season. Maybe a minor tweak of two, but changing major rules right before the season starts is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe we need a little vote on the minor stuff? Lets see what I remember here...

1. Contract length for 2nd round picks.

Options:

A: Simply add two possible years to the salary. Only the last year can be a team option.
B: The above but with scaling salary, not flat 500K
C: The above but with two possible option years (scaling salary or not)

2. Bidding on injured players who have been waived

This one's a yes/no kind of thing

If anyone remembers options or variants I missed just add them in and we'll get a vote going.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby silentjim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
dasein wrote:OK, so that's off the table for practical reasons.
None of the stuff we've been talking about is reasonably on the table for this season. Maybe a minor tweak of two, but changing major rules right before the season starts is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe we need a little vote on the minor stuff? Lets see what I remember here...

1. Contract length for 2nd round picks.

Options:

A: Simply add two possible years to the salary. Only the last year can be a team option.
B: The above but with scaling salary, not flat 500K
C: The above but with two possible option years (scaling salary or not)

2. Bidding on injured players who have been waived

This one's a yes/no kind of thing

If anyone remembers options or variants I missed just add them in and we'll get a vote going.

Second round picks were deemed to be [.5M][.5M][.5M] starting with this season.

We don't have a consensus on bidding on injured players yet, but I still have to admit I'm 100% opposed to restricting this. We keep saying that we should do this because the player would wait until he's healthy to sign a better deal, but what we really mean is, I don't have the money now to offer him a contract, so I'd like to wait until the off season to do so. This part I don't like. I agree it's a nuance of the game that can be manipulated, but I don't like the part of monitoring it etc. How do we define injured? x amount of time? What if the prognosis changes in the middle? It's ok for someone to waive or buyout an injured player, but not for someone to bid on him? This doesn't make any sense IMO.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 794)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:10 pm

silentjim wrote:but I still have to admit I'm 100% opposed to restricting this.

I'm with you. ;-D
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dasein » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Things that have been discussed

1. 2nd round picks - Implemented already
2. No in season bidding on injured bros - a two sides of the coin thing that doesn't seem to have enough support. I'd call it dead.
3. Fenris' annual FA process protest - Beaten back into it's hole until next year
4. Raising/eliminating max salary - still in discussion.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 434)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap