OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby dcdoorknob » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:37 pm

I do believe I played everyone at least once, I tried to go back and check but don't think I can. I know Jay Crowder was only playing 10-12 mpg but I did get him in my lineup a couple times on days when less than 8 of my 16 were playing at all.

And like I said, just because you can mostly get away with one dead roster spot going against another tough team in the playoffs, doesn't mean you can get away with one MORE. Between already carrying a young guy or 2 that is barely seeing the court (or not even), and all the DNPs that were happening late in the season (don't even get me started on that last minute healthy DNP for Dragic!), that one extra spot can be a difference still when the margins between winning and losing are so small.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:35 am

dcdoorknob wrote:I do believe I played everyone at least once, I tried to go back and check but don't think I can. I know Jay Crowder was only playing 10-12 mpg but I did get him in my lineup a couple times on days when less than 8 of my 16 were playing at all.

And like I said, just because you can mostly get away with one dead roster spot going against another tough team in the playoffs, doesn't mean you can get away with one MORE. Between already carrying a young guy or 2 that is barely seeing the court (or not even), and all the DNPs that were happening late in the season (don't even get me started on that last minute healthy DNP for Dragic!), that one extra spot can be a difference still when the margins between winning and losing are so small.

Who is to say though that a guy I could have picked up instead of Lou would not have cost me in another category? I know I fielded a competitive team that week and one more guy off the waiver wire would not have tipped the scales. It was a freakish 5 (or 6?) steals on the last day by Jimmy Butler that made the difference. I had that matchup sewn up before Butler erupted in that game.
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 141)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:43 am

If you're cherry picking stats from the very end of a match-up you're talking about sheer chance not anything that the league rules need to address. ;-D These things happen in fantasy even to teams with healthy rosters.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 379)

Postby dasein » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:07 am

yeah, if you guys want to do something useful, start brainstorming ideas for what bird rights could do. ;-7

so far we have

- Allow holder higher yearly increases (current)
- allow holder to match rather than beat during an auction
- bids from the holder include a phantom x% (bid is worth more than what would actually be applied to the cap)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 436)

Postby dcdoorknob » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:If you're cherry picking stats from the very end of a match-up you're talking about sheer chance not anything that the league rules need to address. ;-D These things happen in fantasy even to teams with healthy rosters.

My point was mostly just responding to the insinuation that my choosing not to bid on injured players for cheap is only because I don't have the proper foresight that these other owners do, which was said or at least strongly implied by a couple different people. I did not agree so I decided to go ahead and express that opinion that my foresight is just fine thanks. :-D

The fact remains that a team that is not trying to win the current year can go ahead and pick up like 6 different guys who are injured for the rest of the season, and the only "consequence" is likely to be better odds in the draft lottery. A team with goals of winning in the playoffs would not have this same option. That was my point.

In a more realistic example, if I've already got say one injured guy and 2 young guys who are not producing anything useful, I likely can't afford to use up another roster spot with 0 production. This is at least partially why the injured guys go for cheap, not just because all these owners are shortsighted.
dcdoorknob
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:12 am

If the injured player is good enough you can always make room. If he's not better than your own injured players or prospects then he's not worth picking up, is he? I agree that teams at the bottom have more latitude to add guys like this, but the actual number of injured players who actually matter, in the grand fantasy scheme of things, is really quite small. Those guys wouldn't go for the minimum in any event, which was my point. All things are possible of course, but if a top 30 guy (say) went for the the minimum I'd imagine there are other factors at work (lack of late season engagement by some GMs being the chief candidate). The problem there isn't that the team who dropped that player isn't allowed to bid though, not in the least.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 379)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:34 am

dasein wrote:yeah, if you guys want to do something useful, start brainstorming ideas for what bird rights could do. ;-7

so far we have

- bids from the holder include a phantom x% (bid is worth more than what would actually be applied to the cap)

I think staying with option one is enough. The other two give bird rights too much power
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dasein » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:12 am

DVauthrin wrote:
dasein wrote:yeah, if you guys want to do something useful, start brainstorming ideas for what bird rights could do. ;-7

so far we have

I think staying with option one is enough. The other two give bird rights too much power

I don't disagree. Just thought I should clarify that the 2nd one up there is the right to match during an auction but not after it's closed. The rights holder would have to post "match" during the bidding. So this is not the same as RFA as we currently do it, which I agree would be way too powerful.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 436)

Postby scully19 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't think it gives the bird rights person too much power, I think it gives them SOME power. The higher raise value is next to worthless. It is basically without a point to raise slightly more. The power that the NBA has with bird rights is that they are allowed to spend over a cap limit to give significantly more money than most teams can. THAT is a lot of power. Allowing teams the option to save 0.5mill each bid really isn't a whole lot of power, but it does give a point to having bird rights.

I'd rather have no bird rights and avoid pointless confusion than have this arbitrary rule in place.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)

Postby Da Ruhl » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 pm

"- bids from the holder include a phantom x% (bid is worth more than what would actually be applied to the cap)"

This was my suggestion and I don't want to be overly argumentative here.

The feedback so far is that it is too powerful.

I'm not sure how this can be too powerful regardless of what x% is. I think, logically, for very low values of x, it should be useless/not worth the complication and for very high values of x too powerful, with some midde ground in between. Now, I'm not saying I know exactly what very low / very high / middle ground are, but I do think all three must exist.

But if somebody can explain to me why (extreme example to prove my point) a 0.01% "phantom increase" would be too powerful, I'd love to hear it! :-)

(assuming of course we move to a very high max or no max)

I second scully's opinion that if Bird rights only allow for 15% max increase instead of 10% just isn't worth the extra effort and complication of having them at all.

Thanks!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap