OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: silentjim, RedHopeful, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby silentjim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

dasein wrote:
Da Ruhl wrote:Gotcha. So our min bid increment (essentially what matching allows you to avoid is):

Minimum Bid Increments
- If BYS is less than 2.5M, C must increase by at least 0.1M
- If BYS is greater or equal to 2.5M, C must increase by at least 0.25M

This reminds me, we should probably rejig these as well given that the max salary vote has resulted in change. Anyone want auctions in the 20M range going up in 0.25M increments?

How about.....

- If BYS is less than 5M, C must increase by at least 0.1M
- If BYS is greater or equal to 5M, but less than 10M, C must increase by at least 0.25M
- If BYS is greater than 10M, C must increase by at least 0.5M

Thought things might be neater if we stick to the 5yr, 10yr thresholds that we use for contract length. Having a more substantial increment at the higher end would also give the BR "match" thing a bit more meat, should we decide to introduce that.

If the increase in max happens, I'd rather see:

- If BYS is greater or equal to 5M, but less than 10M, C must increase by at least 0.25M
- If BYS is greater than 20M, C must increase by at least 0.5M

.5M for over 10 seems a little rich since that .25 might be necessary to sign a min player. Though that can be said in a few arguments.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 pm

silentjim wrote:

.5M for over 10 seems a little rich since that .25 might be necessary to sign a min player. Though that can be said in a few arguments.

Kay. What happens when it's between 10 and 20? :-b

Also, the vote currently stands at 10 for increasing the max, with only 2 ballots still to come, so yeah I think we can pencil that one in. ;-)
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 376)

Postby silentjim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:36 pm

dasein wrote:
silentjim wrote:

Kay. What happens when it's between 10 and 20? :-b

Also, the vote currently stands at 10 for increasing the max, with only 2 ballots still to come, so yeah I think we can pencil that one in. ;-)

Sorry 5-20M is .25M increments like it's always been.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Rightio. Personally I'm not all that fussed whether the 10-20M range is 0.25 or 0.5 increments. Remember that this is total contract value we're taking about, not the BYS. So actually the difference in annual salary between 0.25 and 0.5 is 0.25/4 = 0.06M per year extra. This is approximately equal to a small bag of bugger all.

Don't you think that people will get confused having one set of thresholds for contract years, and another set for minimum increments? Just seems tidy to keep them the same, and like I said, the difference really isn't that big.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby silentjim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:56 pm

dasein wrote:Rightio. Personally I'm not all that fussed whether the 10-20M range is 0.25 or 0.5 increments. Remember that this is total contract value we're taking about, not the BYS. So actually the difference in annual salary between 0.25 and 0.5 is 0.25/4 = 0.06M per year extra. This is approximately equal to a small bag of bugger all.

Don't you think that people will get confused having one set of thresholds for contract years, and another set for minimum increments? Just seems tidy to keep them the same, and like I said, the difference really isn't that big.

Yeah you're probably right. ;-D
silentjim

Postby dasein » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 am

So coming back to the bird rights thing, I think we're all in agreement that having them is cool and adds to the flavor of the league but currently the "rights" are actually pretty weak. Removing the need for tie breakers has made them even weaker. So, I've just sat down for 10 minutes to do a solo brain storm and have a small list of ideas. I mean this to be a springboard for a larger group brainstorm/discussion, so I'm not necessarily endorsing any of them, although I think at least a couple aren't bad. Also, I think we should be open to the possibility that bird rights could include a number of small advantages. It doesn't have to be either/or.

So, the ideas:

1. The right to "match" bids during an auction.
2. During an auction, BR holders must be outbid by 2x the minimum increment.
3. BR holders may apply a small discount (say 5%) to the contract after winning the auction.
4. BR holders may add an extra year onto the contract after winning an auction. This extra year obviously wouldn't count towards winning the auction and would need to follow standard contract rules in terms of salary increase/decrease.

Have at it! :-b
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby nsink » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:01 am

I like the evens, not a fan of the odds.
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 111)

Postby scully19 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm not going to go too in-depth since I've gone over it already, I like option 1, hate option 3, and think option 4 is a bad idea but at least if it is the choice that the extra year be the average yearly price of the entire contract regardless of standard increases decreases otherwise they would front load contracts and get a final year discount.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 189)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:42 pm

What do you guys think about eliminating Birds Rights all together, but expanding RFA past just rookies? Something to the effect similar to the NBA. Must be on the team for three years and we could either make the qualifying offer the first bid, and simply allow for a matching of the contract at the end of the bidding process?

The three years might be tough, but I would envision a scenario where you resigned a one or two year deal guy and had a player for a total of three years. And if we did RFA bidding first, which I think we should move to, then the opening bid, which could possibly be a 125% qualifying offer would allow for either the original owning manager to set the opening bid and determine if it was something worth doing, or simply allowing said player to walk via free agency.
silentjim

Postby dasein » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:09 pm

silentjim wrote:What do you guys think about eliminating Birds Rights all together, but expanding RFA past just rookies? Something to the effect similar to the NBA. Must be on the team for three years and we could either make the qualifying offer the first bid, and simply allow for a matching of the contract at the end of the bidding process?

RFA as we apply it to the rookies is powerful, so I really don't like the idea of extending that to regular free agents. I think it should be something unique to rookie contracts. Also, isn't this the same in the NBA; only rookie contracts include RFA?

I think that for veteran free agents, the owner should be the last man standing at the end of the auction. RFA effectively means the rights holder only needs to beat the 2nd underbidder. The auction "winner" may well have been prepared to go higher.

To the original question, if we can't agree on anything half-decent, I'd be ok with not having bird rights at all. But that just feels like a failure of imagination to me. :-b
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap