OFFICIAL SCL RULES - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: OFFICIAL SCL RULES

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Seems to be that all 4 birds rights options proposed are too minor or too complicated for something that should be simpler (people will place incorrect bids on #2 all the time). If we don't want birds rights to be too powerful than I think we should just toss them out.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 726)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dasein » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:31 pm

What if we eliminate the complicated ones and have 2 or 3 of the simple ones together? Still too much ass?
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 430)

Postby So-Tex » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:46 pm

What if we made it apply to only one player per year, and designate that player before the season even begins?

So for example, let's say I have three players each on the last year of their respective contracts (meaning I have them under contract for one more year, this next season coming up). During the off-season, I'm allowed to label one of those players as my "Bird's Rights" player. This way, come next off-season, when the bidding starts on that player, he falls under the "Bird's Rights" set of rules. This keeps us from having to track ALL of any given manager's BR eligible players. And, it keeps us from cherry picking guys during the season who we might want to resign next off-season. One player only, designated before the season starts.

I know we still need to hammer out the actual BR rule(s), but maybe considering something like this might help clear things up a bit. Or, at least it would help alleviate a LOT of potential confusion surrounding a whole slew of players.

At least, that's what I think. O:-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 215)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 pm

So-Tex wrote:What if we made it apply to only one player per year, and designate that player before the season even begins?

So for example, let's say I have three players each on the last year of their respective contracts (meaning I have them under contract for this last season coming up). During the off-season, I'm allowed to label one of those players as my "Bird's Rights" player. This way, come next off-season, when the bidding starts on that player, he falls under the "Bird's Rights" set of rules. This keeps us from having to track ALL of any given manager's BR eligible players. And, it keeps us from cherry picking guys during the season who we might want to resign next off-season. One player only, designated before the season starts.

I know we still need to hammer out the actual BR rule(s), but maybe considering something like this might help clear things up a bit. Or, at least it would help alleviate a LOT of potential confusion surrounding a whole slew of players.

At least, that's what I think. O:-)

I think I mentioned something about this somewhere else and I kind of like the idea.

As far as the 4 dasein proposed, I don't think the first three really make an impact at all, and the 4th might be a bit excessive (IE potentially getting a 5 year deal for a player).
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dasein » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:53 pm

That's sounding more like a designated player rule (from new CBA) than a bird rights rule. If we were to do something like that, I think it would need to be one player per team that gets some special treatment rather than 1 per season. I don't mind talking about this either, but I see it as different to bird rights.
dasein
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

(Past Year: 430)

Postby Da Ruhl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Among the proposals Dasein mentioned, I strongly favor:

3. BR holders may apply a small discount (say 5%) to the contract after winning the auction.

which is a streamlined version of what I had proposed earlier (my version had bids getting "extra credit" - this is definitely smoother/better).

My thinking is that:

a) it is very simple, straightforward, and easy to remember
b) it can be as weak or powerful as we want, all depends on the %age

I'd think that we could, as part of a vote, ask each person to suggest a number (positive only!) for what %age and then we could use the average/median rounded for simplicity. Part of the reason I like this is that I think there is an underlying level of disagreement of how powerful we want the Bird rights to be. This version allows for a straightforward mechanism for us all to come to a compromise on that.

Thanks!

-DR

PS I personally favor stronger Bird rights as I see them as a disincentive for late season waivers/buyouts.
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 165)

Postby scully19 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:22 pm

I really hope there isn't too serious a discussion about bringing bird rights closer to RFA, we just eliminated the problem of having superstars guaranteed to remain in one place, no need to bring that problem right back.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 200)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:39 pm

scully19 wrote:I really hope there isn't too serious a discussion about bringing bird rights closer to RFA, we just eliminated the problem of having superstars guaranteed to remain in one place, no need to bring that problem right back.

Man you guys aren't for any sort of discussion at all. :-D Not everything is always about superstars and them staying with one team etc.

My point is Birds right are basically useless which means we should talk about a) eliminating them or b) making them more useful.

I actually don't think restricted free agency for players is that powerful to be honest. The market determines there worth, so its up to the manager to decided whether it makes financial sense to match that deal or not, much like the real NBA. For one, prior owning managers might not have the cap space to match an offer, and for two they might not want to anyway if it becomes too rich.
silentjim

Postby scully19 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Market doesn't entirely dictate it though, since there is one less person bidding on a RFA since you just wait until the end. If 2 people love the same player, the bidding will end far sooner than it would otherwise.

It did admittedly lose some of it's power now that there is no max, although I guess that was covered by the same team thing anyways.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 200)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 am

I just leave them as is. They shouldn't be outright eliminated but none of these 4 options excite me. Of the 4, I like number 1 the most.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap